Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The 2016 Queensland Derby is one of four Group 1 features on the Stradbroke Handicap Day program this weekend in Brisbane and below is a comprehensive form guide analysis and betting preview on the three-years-old classic.
Set to run as Eagle Farm Race 8 at 3:00pm (AEST), this year’s $600,000 Group 1 Channel 7 Queensland Derby (2400m) runs at capacity with the first emergency Slaughter Bay (4) coming in to replace early scratching Colonel Cluster (18).
Heading the updated Queensland Derby betting markets at Ladbrokes.com.au is Darren Weir’s SA Derby winner Howard Be Thy Name ($4.40) drawn a treat in barrier two.
He’s looking to turn the tables on his last start conqueror Mackintosh when third in the Group 3 Grand Prix Stakes (2200m) at Doomben, Chris Waller’s winner of that traditional Derby lead-up a $4.50 hope to keep the winning streak going on Saturday.
The other best in the Queensland Derby odds include the Bryan Guy-trained Grand Prix runner-up Eagle Way ($5.50) and the big market mover Etymology ($9.50) coming off the Group 1 South Australian Derby (2500m) second to Howard Be Thy Name.
That’s the story the bookies are saying but what about the Queensland Derby form guide, betting history and statistical facts?
2016 Queensland Derby Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Queensland Derby winner was the Mark Kavanagh-trained Magicool (2015) who came off a fourth in the SA Derby and jumped from barrier 14 (of 16) with James Winks riding the $12 hope to victory
- Kavanagh is without a runner in this year’s race but the previous Queensland Derby winning trainers with a hope in 2016 are: Chris Waller (6-1-0-1) with #3 Mackintosh, #6 Encosta Line, #8 Rodrico and #11 Multifacets; and John Morrisey (4-2-0-0) with #15 Snapper
- The previous Queensland Derby winning jockeys with a ride on the weekend are: Brad Rawiller (3-1-0-0) on #1 Howard Be Thy Name, Jim Byrne (9-1-1-2) on #5 I’m Belucci and Damien Oliver (11-1-3-0) on #10 Red Alto
- Last year’s winning barrier (16) has produced a total of two Queensland Derby winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #18 Harvard ($51)
- The most successful Queensland Derby barrier in that time with four winners is gate four drawn this year by the emergency #19e Slaughter Bay ($201) who has gained a run
- Magicool (2015) won the Queensland Derby off a South Australian Derby run last year; the SA Derby graduates in the mix this year are the winner Howard Be Thy Name and runner-up Etymology
- Two of the past four Queensland Derby winners came off a Group 3 Grand Prix Stakes run with both Brambles (2012) and Hawkspur (2013) completing the double
- This year #3 Mackintosh ($4.50) shoots for the Grand Prix Stakes – Queensland Derby double and the Queensland 3YO Triple Crown having also won the Rough Habit Plate the run prior
- The other Grand Prix Stakes graduates in the Queensland Derby field are: Eagle Way (2nd), Howard Be Thy Name (3rd), Eschiele (4th), Brazen (5th), I’m Belucci (6th), Red Alto (7th), Cylinder Beach (9th), Harvard (10th) and Multifacets (13th)
- Three favourites have won the Queensland Derby in the past five years and this year the two top fancies in betting are #1 Howard Be Thy Name ($4.40) and #3 Mackintosh
- The past two champions both saluted at odds of 12/1
- The horse with the highest Win Rate in the field is #3 Mackintosh (71%) followed by #1 Howard Be Thy Name (42%)
- The best Place Rate belongs to #1 Howard Be Thy Name (100%) who is yet to finish out of the money followed by #8 Rodrico (75%), #14 Admiral Jello (75%) and #3 Mackintosh (71%)
- No Queensland Derby hopeful has previous experience at the Eagle Farm track
- Also no runner has officially had a run at 2400m but #1 Howard Be Thy Name and #2 Etymology ($9.50) ran first and second over 2500m in the SA Derby
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Queensland Derby 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
Before then check out the comprehensive form guide below before heading to our preferred online sportsbook Ladbrokes.com.au to enjoy up to $500 in bonus bets when you first sign-up, deposit and quote the code BETBONUS!
2016 Queensland Derby Form Guide
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.