Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The 2016 Doomben 10,000 takes centre stage in Brisbane on Saturday, a full form guide preview and betting analysis for the weight-for-age classic found below.
Due to jump at 4:00pm (AEST) as Doomben Race 7, this year’s $750,000 Group 1 James Boag’s Premium Doomben 10,000 (1350m) features a final field of 10 runners.
It’s an open Doomben 10,000 betting market at Ladbrokes.com.au with half the field under $10 for the win including the clear $2.80 favourite Azkadellia.
Ciaron Maher’s four-year-old mare was last seen winning Randwick’s Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes (1600m) in Sydney last month and is well-fancied to pick up where she left off.
Maher is unconvinced the Doomben track will suit his 2016 Stradbroke Handicap-bound mare, but the bookies are taking no chances on her after an impressive recent jump out at Eagle Farm.
The next best in the latest Doomben 10,000 odds include early market mover Fell Swoop ($5) with the rails run from barrier one, Chris Waller’s Darley Classic winner Delectation ($5.50) jumping one on his outside in gate two and last start BTC Cup runner-up Dothraki ($7) for Team Snowden.
That’s the markets, but what does the Doomben 10,000 form guide and betting history reveal about who to back and who to sack on Saturday?
2016 Doomben 10,000 Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben 10,000 winner was the Chris Waller-trained Boban (2015) who saluted at $16 from barrier 7 (of 16) with Glyn Schofield in the saddle on the back of a 14th in Sydney’s Chipping Norton Stakes
- Chris Waller (6-1-0-0) returns shooting for back-to-back wins this season with #1 Delectation ($5.50) in barrier two
- The last horseman to train back-to-back Doomben 10,000 winners was Greg Eurell with Apache Cat (2008-09)
- The only other previous Doomben 10,000 winning trainer with a runner on Saturday is Peter Snowden (4-2-0-0) who trains #3 Dothraki ($7) and #5 Charlie Boy ($17) in partnership with his son Paul – the team having had a second placegetter in the race as well
- The only previous Doomben 10,000 winning jockey with a ride on the weekend is Kerrin McEvoy (5-1-0-0) on #6 Music Magnate ($7); McEvoy’s success was on Epaulette (2013)
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) has produced a total of five Doomben 10,000 winners (since 1983) and belongs on Saturday to #6 Music Magnate
- The most successful Doomben 10,000 barrier in that time with six winners is gate one drawn this year by #2 Fell Swoop ($5)
- The BTC Cup has produced seven of the past 11 Doomben 10,000 winners including Sea Siren (2012) who was the last to complete the double and Spirit Of Boom (2nd in 2014) who was the latest graduate to win the latter; the BTC Cup graduates in the mix this year are: Dothraki (2nd), Two Blue (4th), Fell Swoop (5th), Delectation (8th) and Charlie Boy (12th)
- There are two last start winners in the field with #7 Azkadellia (Group 1 Queen Of The Turf Stakes, 1600m, Randwick, 09/04/2016) and #10 Divine Centuri (3YO Hcp, 1050m, Doomben, 14/05/2016)
- Two three-year-olds have won the race in the past four years with Sea Siren (2012) and Epaulette (2013); #10 Divine Centuri is the only youngster in this year’s edition
- Three five-year-olds have won the Doomben 10,000 in the past 10 years including Boban (2015) last year; the 5YOs in the race on Saturday are: #3 Dothraki, #4 Hooked and #5 Charlie Boy
- Three six-year-olds have also won in the past decade most recently Spirit Of Boom (2014), but there are no six-year-olds running this year
- Along with the filly Sea Siren (2012) two mares have won the race in the past 10 years with Hot Danish (2010) and Beaded (2011); the mares in the mix this year are: #7 Azkadellia, #8 Two Blue and #9 Scarlet Billows
- Five favourites or equal-favourites have saluted for the Doomben 10,000 punters in the past decade; this year #7 Azkadellia ($2.80) is out to be the next
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #10 Divine Centuri (67%) followed by #2 Fell Swoop (60%)
- The best Place Rate also belongs to the lightly-raced filly #10 Divine Centuri (100%) followed by #7 Azkadellia (93%), #6 Music Magnate (91%) and #2 Fell Swoop (80%)
- All the runners in the field have multiple wins over the distance (1350m – 1400m): #2 Fell Swoop (15-9-3-0), #8 Two Blue (40-8-13-4), #3 Dothraki (28-6-5-8), #7 Azkadellia (14-6-5-2), #9 Scarlet Billows (25-6-3-1), #1 Delectation (24-5-5-2), #4 Hooked (29-5-0-2), #6 Music Magnate (11-5-4-1), #5 Charlie Boy (25-4-3-2) and #10 Divine Centuri (6-4-1-1)
- The horses with the best winning strike rate at the Doomben track are: #10 Divine Centuri (3-2-0-1), #2 Fell Swoop (2-1-0-0), #4 Hooked (2-1-0-0) and #5 Charlie Boy (4-1-1-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our exclusive Doomben 10,000 tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check out the full form below and sign-up with Ladbrokes.com.au quoting the code BETBONUS to have your first deposit matched 100% up to $500!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.