Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The premier sprint race of the Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival runs at Morphettville Racecourse on Saturday, a detailed The Goodwood 2016 form guide analysis and betting preview detailed below.
Due to run as Morphettville Race 7 at 4:20pm (local), this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Darley Goodwood (1200m) field is down to 19 runners after the early scratching of Griante (3) who pulled up sore after an early week track gallop.
Sitting top of The Goodwood odds at Ladbrokes.com.au paying $3.80 for the win and one of only three single-figure hopes in the markets is the Darren Weir-trained Black Heart Bart.
A dual Group 1 runner-up since coming to Weir from Perth this season, the five-year-old son of Blackfriars gets a gun run from barrier two on the weekend and has Brad Rawiller booked for the ride.
The next best in The Goodwood betting are the super-consistent Supido ($6) for Michael Kent who is up in class on the back of six straight wins and the Robert Smerdon-trained Group 1 placegetter Under The Louvre ($7.50).
That’s the story according to the markets but what does The Goodwood form guide, betting history and statistical facts reveal about who you should back and sack in Saturday’s Group 1 classic?
2016 The Goodwood Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s The Goodwood winner was the then Peter Moody-trained Flamberge (2015) who came off an unplaced run in Sydney’s Group 1 The Galaxy (1100m) and jumped from barrier 16 (of 17) with Vlad Duric aboard the $20 outsider
- #1 Flamberge ($17) is back to defend his title in 2016 and comes off a dead last (15th) in the TJ Smith Stakes in Sydney, but is now prepared by Mathew Ellerton & Simon Zahra and has Damian Lane riding from barrier 16 (of 19)
- The other previous The Goodwood winner shooting for multiple wins in the classic is the 2014 champion #7 Smokin’ Joey ($51) in gate five
- The previous The Goodwood winning trainers with a starter on Saturday are: Darren Weir (6-1-1-1) with #3 Black Heart Bart and #20 Sooboog, Wez Hunter (2-1-0-0) with #7 Smokin’ Joey, and Robert Smerdon (8-2-0-1) with #11 Under The Louvre
- The previous The Goodwood winning jockeys with a ride this weekend are: Craig Newitt (4-1-0-0) on #7 Smokin’ Joey, Stephen Baster (7-1-2-0) on #9 Fast ‘N’ Rocking and Clare Lindop (6-1-0-0) on #10 Daytona Grey
- Last year’s winning barrier (16) has produced just the one The Goodwood winner (since 1983) and with the scratching of #5 Griante (3) will belong again to #1 Flamberge (17 into 16) this year
- The most successful The Goodwood barrier in that time producing five winners is barrier eight, the latest to salute from the gate being Black Caviar (2012); this year #15 Supido (9 into 8) comes into barrier eight
- The Robert Sangster Stakes has produced three of the past six The Goodwood winners most recently Platelet (2013) who completed the double; this year the Robert Sangster Stakes graduates backing up in The Goodwood field are Sheidel (2nd) and Miss Promiscuity who lost her rider
- Just two favourites have won The Goodwood in the past 10 years with #3 Black Heart Bart ($3.80) out to be the first this year since Black Caviar (1/20 in 2012)
- There are three last start winners in the mix this season with #13 Faatinah (Group 2 Euclase Stakes, 1200m, Morphettville, 07/05/2016), #14 Super One (Group 3 DC McKay Stakes, 1100m, Morphettville, 07/05/2016) and #15 Supido (Hcp, 1000m, Flemington, 07/05/2016)
- Two three-year-olds have won the race in the past 10 years and the 3YOs in the line-up on Saturday are: #13 Faatinah ($34), #14 Super One ($17) and #20 Sooboog ($15)
- Last year’s winner Flamberge was the third five-year-old in 10 years to win and the 5YOs out to be the next this weekend are: #2 The Quarterback, #3 Black Heart Bart, #4 Churchill Dancer, #9 Fast ‘n’ Rocking, #11 Under The Louvre and #18 Miss Promiscuity
- #18 Miss Promiscuity ($31) along with #19 Sheidel ($14) are the two mares in the race looking to join Velocitea (2010), Black Caviar (2012) and Platelet (2013) as The Goodwood winning mares in the past decade
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #15 Supido (75%) followed by #14 Super One (71%) and #12 Admiral (70%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #12 Admiral (90%) followed by #15 Supido (88%), #14 Super One (86%) and #19 Sheidel (84%)
- The horses with the best winning record over the distance (1200m) are: #1 Flamberge (15-6-1-1), #11 Under The Louvre (13-6-1-4), #16 Sirbible (12-6-2-2-), #4 Churchill Dancer (24-5-5-4), #10 Daytona Grey (19-5-1-1), #6 Big Money (9-4-1-1), #2 The Quarterback (9-3-1-3), #3 Black Heart Bart (6-3-2-0), #7 Smokin’ Joey (16-3-4-0), #12 Admiral (5-3-1-0), #14 Super One (4-3-0-0) and #19 Sheidel (4-3-1-0)
- The hopefuls with winning form at the track (Morphettville) are: #10 Daytona Grey (25-3-2-3), #17 Cashed (12-3-5-0), #1 Flamberge (2-2-0-0), #13 Faatinah (2-2-0-0), #7 Smokin’ Joey (2-1-0-0), #8 Nostradamus (3-1-0-0), #14 Super One (1-1-0-0) and #16 Sirbible (1-1-0-0)
- The previous winners over the track / distance are: #1 Flamberge (2-2-0-0), #7 Smokin’ Joey (2-1-0-0), #13 Faatinah (2-2-0-0) and #16 Sirbible (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned for our insider The Goodwood 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check out the full form guide below and head to Ladbrokes.com.au and open a new account depositing and quoting the code BETBONUS to enjoy up to $500 in bonuses!
2016 The Goodwood Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.