Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The second Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival Group 1 runs this weekend with the Doomben Cup 2016 taking centre stage in Queensland, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview on the weight-for-age classic listed below.
Set to run as Doomben Race 7 at 4:01pm (AEST), this year’s $650,000 Group 1 Hardy Brothers Doomben Cup (2000m) features a final field of only 10 hopefuls.
Despite the small line-up, there’s still plenty of class among the ranks and half the field are under $10 to win in the latest Doomben Cup odds at Ladbrokes.com.au.
It is a wide open Doomben Cup betting affair this season with the rails-drawn Haruaki the current $3.50 to take it out after the John O’Shea-trained four-year-old finished an eye-catching second in the Group 2 A.D. Hollindale Stakes (1800m) on the Gold Coast a fortnight back.
The Hollindale Stakes form has held up in the Doomben Cup plenty of times in recent years and the next best for Saturday’s Group 1 – It’s Somewhat ($5.50) – also comes out of the same lead-up run having run fifth and is a stablemate of the favourite.
So will the Godolphin duo run the Doomben Cup quinella or does the form guide, betting history and facts on this great clash reveal value further down the markets from the likes of the Kiwi raider Volkstok’n’barrell (46) or Robert Smerdon’s classy mare Noble Protector ($9)?
2016 Doomben Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben Cup winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Pornichet (2015) who came off a fifth in the Group 1 Doncaster Mile (1600m) in Sydney, jumped from barrier 4 (of 15) and saluted as the 5/2 favourite for the punters with Blake Shinn in the saddle
- Shinn (3-2-0-0) also won the 2014 Doomben Cup aboard Streama and shoots for a third success this year on #1 Volkstok’n’barrell ($6)
- The other previous Doomben Cup winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Kerrin McEvoy (3-1-0-0) on #3 Our Ivanhowe and Hugh Bowman (4-1-1-1) on #8 Spiritjim
- The previous Doomben Cup winning trainers with a starter this season are: Lee Freedman (12-2-3-0) & Anthony Freedman (1-1-0-0) who train #3 Our Ivanhowe, and Chris Waller (16-2-3-3) with #8 Spiritjim and #10 Lady Le Fay
- Last year’s winning barrier (4) has produced a total of four Doomben Cup winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #6 Messene ($17)
- The equal most successful barrier in that time also producing four winners is 2 drawn this year by #4 Leebaz ($12)
- The Group 2 AD Hollindale Stakes (1800m) on the Gold Coast has produced six of the past 10 Doomben Cup winners including Streama (2014) who completed the double
- This year #4 Leebaz comes off the AD Hollindale Stakes win for the second year in a row
- The other Hollindale Stakes graduates backing up in the Doomben Cup this winter are: Hauraki (2nd), Volkstok’n’barrell (3rd), It’s Somewhat (5th) and Spiritjim (7th)
- Along with the AD Hollindale Stakes winner Leebaz the other last start winners in the Doomben Cup field are: #6 Messene (Listed Wagga Cup, 2000m, Wagga, 06/05/2016) and #7 Maurus (Hcp, 2200m, Doomben, 30/04/2016)
- Three favourites have saluted in the Doomben Cup in the past 10 years including Pornichet last year; this year’s top fancy in betting is #2 Hauraki ($3.50)
- Two mares have beaten home the boys in the last 10 years with Cinque Cento (2007) and Streama (2014); the mares in the mix in 2016 are: #9 Noble Protector ($9) and #10 Lady Le Fay ($14)
- In the past decade four four-year-olds have won the Doomben Cup including Pornichet (2015); the four-year-olds in the mix this year are: #1 Volkstok’n’barrell and #2 Hauraki
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #1 Volkstok’n’barrell (40%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #7 Maurus (80%) followed by #9 Noble Protector (68.42%) and #1 Volkstok’n’barrell (65%)
- Over the distance (2000m) the horses with the best form are: #1 Volkstok’n’barrell (3-2-0-0), #2 Hauraki (4-1-2-0), #4 Leebaz (6-1-2-1), #6 Messene (4-1-2-0) and #10 Lady Le Fay (2-1-1-0)
- The only previous winner at the Doomben track is #7 Maurus (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Doomben Cup 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check out the full form guide below and back your early selections online at Ladbrokes.com.au – home of the $500 first time depositors’ bonus with use of the code BETBONUS!
2016 Doomben Cup Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.