Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival Group 1 features continue at Morphettville Racecourse on Saturday with the SA Derby 2016, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which is found below.
Running as Morphettville Race 7 at 4:25pm (local), this year’s $500,000 Group 1 South Australian Derby (2500m) is set to run at its capacity 16 starters.
Leading the latest SA Derby odds at Ladbrokes.com.au paying $3.80 for the win is market mover Charlevoix from the Cranbourne stables of Michael Kent.
The New Approach colt was last seen winning the Listed Galilee Final (2400m) at Sandown in early April by 2.25 lengths ahead of his interstate debut this weekend.
He looks prime to handle the 2500m without a worry in the Adelaide Group 1 field with Mark Zahra jumping aboard for the first time since the horse’s sixth to Tally in the Group 2 Autumn Classic (1800m) at Caulfield in late February.
The other best in SA Derby betting this year are the flying Chairman’s Stakes winner Howard Be Thy Name ($5.50) shooting for another Black-Type win at the track, VRC St Leger winner Cool Chap ($5.50) who is proven up to 2800m but is drawn wide for the weekend and Tarquin ($7) prepared by John O’Shea for the Godolphin stable.
Below we look a little deeper and have the must know South Australian Derby facts based on the historical statistics and full form guide on the three-year-olds’ classic so you know who to back and who to sack on Saturday.
2016 SA Derby Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s SA Derby winner was the Grant Williams-trained filly from Perth Delicacy (2015) who saluted as the short-priced favourite on the back of a Schweppes Oaks win at the track, jumped from barrier 11 (of 16) and was ridden by Peter Hall
- Grant Williams (1-1-0-0) is back this year chasing another SA Derby win with two fillies: #14 Arcadia Dream ($10) and #16 First Impressions ($41)
- Both come out of the Schweppes Oaks that produced Delicacy last year and Zarita in 2008 who both completed the Group 1 Morphettville double; Arcadia Dream (5th) having won the WATC Derby the start before and First Impressions (8th) the WA Oaks – two races also won by Delicacy in 2015
- Delicacy is just the second filly along with Zarita (2008) to win the SA Derby since Showella (1999)
- Along with #14 Arcadia Dream and #16 First Impressions the other filly in the mix this autumn is #15 Sacred Eye ($17)
- The other previous SA Derby winning trainers with a runner on Saturday are: Leon Macdonald (6-2-0-0) who trains #2 Royal Rumble and #7 Mail It In in partnership with Andrew Gluyas, Lee Freedman (12-2-2-2) who trains #5 Cool Chap in partnership with Anthony Freedman, Matt Laurie (1-1-0-0) with #8 Rong Door Reggie, and David Hayes (24-1-2-2) who trains #10 Bullish Stock and #15 Sacred Eye in partnership with Tom Dabernig
- The previous SA Derby winning jockeys with a ride this weekend are: Ben Melham (2-2-0-0) on #4 Etymology, Clare Lindop (7-1-0-1) on #2 Royal Rumble, Jason Holder (10-1-0-0) on #7 Mail It In and Joe Bowditch (7-1-1-0) on #12 Tuff Bickie
- Last year’s winning barrier 11 has produced a total of three SA Derby winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #6 Charlevoix (11) but will belong to #4 Etymology is the emergency #17e Dropped (10) doesn’t gain a start
- The most successful SA Derby barrier in that time with five winners is the outside barrier 16 that last produced a winner with Kidnapped (2010); this year #5 Cool Chap (17) will jump from the coveted wide gate
- Barrier 5 has also produced five winners in the past 30 years and belongs on Saturday to #15 Sacred Eye
- Barriers 1 and 2 have produced four winners each in that time and the inside alleys this year are drawn by #10 Bullish Stock (1) and #7 Mail It In (2)
- Delicacy was the third last-start winner to win the SA Derby in eight years
- The last-start winners in the mix this season are: #1 Howard Be Thy Name (Group 3 Chairman’s Stakes, 2020m, Morphettville, 30/04/2016), #3 Tarquin (BM90, 2000m, Caulfield, 30/04/2016), #5 Cool Chap (Listed VRC St Leger, 2800m, Flemington, 25/04/2016), #6 Charlevoix (Listed Galilee Final, 2400m, Sandown-Hillside, 09/04/2016), #11 Ascot Red (Class 1, 2400, Kembla Grange, 23/04/2016) and #13 Prince Of Pagoda (Mdn-SW, 2100m, Gawler, 25/04/2016)
- Three of the past seven SA Derby winners came off a run in the Chairman’s Stakes
- Along with the winner Howard Be Thy Name (1st) the other Chairman’s Stakes graduates backing up in the Derby this year are: Royal Rumble (2nd), Manhattan Boss (3rd), Mail It In (6th) and Dropped (9th)
- Favourites have a gun recent record in the race having won seven of the past 10 editions and #6 Charlevoix ($3.80) is out to be the next in 2016
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #6 Charlevoix (50%) followed by #5 Cool Chap (43%)
- The best Place Rate belongs to #1 Howard Be Thy Name (100%) who is yet to finish out of the money followed by #5 Cool Chap (86%)
- No horse in the line-up has won over exactly 2500m but those with winning form over 2400m or further are #5 Cool Chap (2800m), #6 Charlevoix (2400m), #11 Ascot Red (2400m), #14 Arcadia Dream (2400m) and #16 First Impressions (2400m)
- The previous winners at the track (Morphettville) are #1 Howard Be Thy Name (2-2-0-0) and #2 Royal Rumble (6-1-3-2)
Check out the full South Australian Derby 2016 form guide below before heading to Ladbrokes.com.au to lock in your early selections across the Morphettville card for Saturday!
2016 SA Derby Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.