A bumper field of promising three-year-old fillies face off in the first Group 1 Morphettville race this weekend in Adelaide, a detailed form guide and betting preview for the Schweppes Oaks 2016 found below.
Set to run as Morphettville Race 6 at 3:20pm (local), this season’s $400,000 Group 1 Schweppes Australasian Oaks (2000m) has the full 16 starters plus four emergencies awaiting a run.
The race has run at capacity for the past four years straight and is set to do the same this Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival.
Leading the current Australasian Schweppes Oaks odds at Ladbrokes.com.au out to be the first favourite since May’s Dream (2014) to win for the punters is Melbourne’s Silent Sedition ($5.50) coming off a Group 3 Auraria Stakes (1800m) win at the track.
She is followed in the latest Schweppes Oaks betting markets by the undefeated Michael Kent-trained Redoute’s Choice filly Abbey Marie ($6), in-form Perth raider Arcadia Dream ($7.50) for last year’s winning trainer Grant Williams and Anthony Cummings’ ATC Oaks third placegetter Believe ($8.50).
Before locking in the bookies’ picks see if there’s any value tipping an upset based on the Schweppes Oaks form, betting guide and below must know statistics on the classic.
2016 Schweppes Oaks Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Schweppes Oaks winner was the Grant Williams-trained Perth-based filly Delicacy ($6) coming off a WATC Derby win who jumped from barrier 10 (of 16) with Peter Hall in the saddle
- Williams returns chasing back-to-back wins this season with the widely-drawn #2 Arcadia Dream ($7.50) and #5 First Impressions ($20)
- Like Delicacy 12 months ago Arcadia Dream comes off a win in the WATC Derby and First Impressions won the WA Oaks before her seventh in the same Ascot lead-up
- Along with Williams (1-1-0-0) the other previous Schweppes Oaks winning trainers with a runner this year are: David Hayes (27-3-2-1) who co-trains #1 Pasadena Girl and #4 Sacred Eye in partnership with Tom Dabernig, Leon MacDonald (6-1-0-2) who saddles-up #7 C’est Beau La Vie and #12 Beluga Blue in partnership with Andrew Gluyas, and local horseman Phillip Stokes (6-2-0-1) with #10 Comprende
- The previous Schweppes Oaks winning jockeys with a ride on the weekend are: Craig Williams (4-1-0-0) on #6 Silent Sedition, Dom Tourneur (5-1-0-0) on #10 Comprende, Luke Nolen (5-1-1-0) on #14 Abbey Marie, Craig Newitt (6-1-0-0) on #16 Riverina Bella and Damien Oliver (10-3-1-2) on #9 Asinara
- Last year’s winning barrier (10) has produced two winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year originally by #12 Beluga Blue but will belong to #5 First Impressions (12) if all the emergencies fail to gain a start
- The most successful Robert Sangster Stakes barrier in that time with six wins is barrier eight followed by the inside alley with five victories
- Barrier eight is drawn by #16 Riverina Bella but could belong to #12 Beluga Blue (10) if both #18e She’s Got Speed (1) and #20e Street Spun (4) come out, the non-running of the second emergency meaning barrier one will belong to #15 The Grey Flash (2)
- Five of the past eight Schweppes Oaks winners came off a last start victory and the last-start winners in the mix this year are: #2 Arcadia Dream, #6 Silent Sedition, #8 Bengal Cat, #11 Lopartega, #14 Abbey May and #17e Camari
- The Auraria Stakes has produced three of the past four winners and this year #6 Silent Sedition shoots for the double
- The other Auraria Stakes graduates backing up in the Oaks on Saturday are: C’est Beau La Vie (2nd), Comprende (3rd), Riverina Bella (4th), The Grey Flash (7th), Jacqui’s Joy (11th), (12th) Beluga Blue (14th) and emergency runners Street Spun (8th) and Artesian (12th)
- Five favourites have won in the past 10 years including May’s Dream (2014) and this year’s favourite looking to continue the good record is #6 Silent Sedition ($5.50)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #14 Abbey Marie (100%) followed by #2 Arcadia Dream (42%) and #3 Believe (40%)
- #14 Abbey Marie (100%) also has the best Place Rate followed by #6 Silent Sedition (88%), #2 Arcadia Dream (83%) and #3 Believe (80%)
- #4 Sacred Eye (2-1-0-0) is the only previous winner over the distance (2000m)
- The previous winners at the Morphettville track are: #6 Silent Sedition (1-1-0-0), #7 C’est Beau La Vie (7-1-1-0), #10 Comprende (7-1-3-1) and #12 Beluga Blue (6-1-0-1)
Our insider Australasian Oaks 2016 betting tips will be published later in the week, so make sure you’re ready to lock in the top selections by signing-up with Ladbrokes.com.au today!