Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The key race on the Morphettville Racecourse card this Saturday in Adelaide is the Robert Sangster Stakes 2016, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for the fillies-and-mares’ feature found below.
Due to run as Morphettville Race 7 at 4:00pm (local), this season’s edition of the $400,000 Group 1 Robert Sangster Stakes (1200m) is set to run at capacity with 20 starters.
The last time the race had the full 20 starters was back in 1990, and currently there are three emergencies waiting to come in for any pre-race scratchings.
Heading the latest Robert Sangster Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au are three chances battling for favouritism including the Ciaron Maher-trained Petits Filous ($7).
The visiting Melbourne youngster is a three-year-old daughter of Street Boss looking to be the first filly to take out the Robert Sangster Stakes since Rostova (2010).
Her lead-up run was a failed 13th of 13 runners in the Group 2 Arrowfield 3YO Sprint (1200m) at Randwick on April 9, but if she can bounce back to her best there’s a chance for her to post her sixth win at career start number eight.
Another filly in the mix and well fancied in the markets is the in-form Tony McEvoy-trained Don’t Doubt Mamma ($7.50) coming off a win in the Listed Redelva Stakes (1100m) at the track from April 23.
She is equal in betting with the David Brideoake-trained Good Journey five-year-old Griante who won the Group 1 The Galaxy (1100m) in Sydney two back before a last start sixth to Two Blue in the Group 2 Sapphire Stakes (1200m).
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about the Robert Sangster Stakes form guide, betting history and statistics? Do they reveal value further down the markets?
2016 Robert Sangster Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Robert Sangster Stakes winner was the Peter & Paul Snowden-trained Miracles Of Life (2015) who came off a The Galaxy third, jumped from barrier six (of 15) with Hugh Bowman aboard and was at single-figures for the win
- The previous Robert Sangster Stakes winning trainers with a runner on Saturday are: Darren Weir (4-1-1-0) with #10 Tuscan Sling and #11 Scarlet Billows, and three-time winning horseman Mick Price (7-3-1-0) with #17 Badawiya
- The previous Robert Sangster Stakes winning jockeys with a ride this weekend are: Luke Nolen (5-1-0-0) on #2 Miss Promiscuity, Shayne Cahill (6-2-0-0) on #7 Pittsburgh Flyer, Steven Arnold (12-1-2-1) on #8 Tycoon Tara, Stephen Baster (6-1-0-1) on #12 I Love It, Damien Oliver (6-1-2-0) on #14 Vezalay, Craig Newitt (6-1-0-0) on #17 Badawiya and Dwayne Dunn (15-1-1-1) on #18 Don’t Doubt Mamma
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) has produced three winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #4 Precious Gem ($19)
- The most successful Robert Sangster Stakes barrier in that time with five winners is gate nine drawn this year originally by #19 Petits Filous but belonging to #6 Sultry Feeling (10) if the emergencies fail to gain a start
- Two of the past four winners came off a last-start victory and the last-start winners in the mix this year are: #2 Miss Promiscuity, #3 Sheidel, #4 Precious Gem, #11 Scarlet Billows, #12 I Love It, #18 Don’t Doubt Mamma and #20 Tempt Me Not
- The RN Irwin Stakes has produced two of the past three winners including Driefontein (2014) who completed the double
- This season the RN Irwin Stakes graduates backing up in the Robert Sangster are Runway Star (3rd) and Tuscan Sling (8th)
- Only two favourites have saluted for the punters in the past 10 years with Universal Queen (2007) and Black Caviar (2012)
- Current favourite this year looking to be the next is #19 Petits Filous ($7)
- Petits Filous is looking to be the first three-year-old filly to win since Rostova (2010)
- The other three-year-olds in the mix this year are: #17 Badawiya, #18 Don’t Doubt Mamma, #20 Tempt Me Not, first emergency #21e Super Cash and second emergency #22 Jalan Jalan
- Four-year-olds have dominated the Robert Sangster Stakes in the past decade with six wins including the past three years on the trot
- The four-year-olds looking to add to that record this season are: #3 Sheidel, #5 Wawail, #6 Sultry Feeling, #7 Pittsburgh Flyer, #9 Sabatini, #13 Miss Seton Sands and #14 Vezalay
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #19 Petits Filous (71%) followed by #3 Sheidel (67%) and #13 Miss Seton Sands (50%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to the second emergency #22e Jalan Jalan (100%) followed by #10 Tuscan Sling (85%) and #3 Sheidel (83%)
- The runners with the best winning record over the distance (1200m) are: #13 Miss Seton Sands (7-5-1-1), #11 Scarlet Billows (14-4-3-0), #15 Runway Star (7-4-0-0), #1 Griante (17-3-4-2), #2 Miss Promiscuity (10-3-2-1), #3 Sheidel (3-3-0-0), #6 Sultry Feeling (12-3-1-1), #10 Tuscan Sling (2-2-0-0), #12 I Love It (8-2-2-2) and #16 Private Secretary (7-2-2-0)
- The only previous winners at the Morphettville track are: #15 Runway Star (4-2-0-1), #18 Don’t Doubt Mamma (1-1-0-0) and third emergency #23e Secretmensbusiness (13-1-3-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our exclusive Robert Sangster Stakes 2016 tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check out the full form guide below then head to Ladbrokes.com.au for the best Adelaide racing odds this weekend!
2016 Robert Sangster Stakes Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.