The Champagne Stakes 2016 is one of two Group 1 highlights on the Randwick race card in Sydney this Saturday for All Aged Stakes Day, a detailed form guide analysis and betting update for which is found below.
Due to run as Randwick Race 5 at 2:30pm (AEDT), this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Moet & Chandon Champagne Stakes (1600m) field features 11 two-year-olds with Yankee Rose odds-on favourite at Ladbrokes.com.au for the win.
David Vandyke’s Golden Slipper runner-up won the Group 1 ATC Sires’ Produce Stakes (1400m) last time out at the track and had over two lengths to spare on the line.
She should handle the step up to a mile then no issues this weekend from barrier four and is at $1.45 to take her career record up to four wins from five starts.
There are two other hopes under $10 to score the Champagne Stakes upset on Saturday with last weekend’s Fernhill Handicap winner Prized Icon on the drift out from $7.50 to $8.50 and the John O’Shea-trained Street Cry colt Obscura the market mover backed in from $9.50 to the same $8.50 price.
That’s the story the bookies are telling, but what about the Champagne Stakes form guide and betting history?
2016 Champagne Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Champagne Stakes winner was the Peter Moody-trained Pasadena Girl (2015) who came off a fourth in the Inglis Sires’ and jumped form barrier four (of nine) with Hugh Bowman guiding the favourite to victory
- Pasadena Girl was the third filly in as many years to win the Champagne Stakes joining Go Indy Go (2014) and Guelph (2013)
- There are three fillies in the mix this year with #9 Yankee Rose ($1.45), #10 Faraway Town ($16) and #11 Pop ($71)
- The only previous Champagne Stakes winning trainer with a runner this year is John Hawkes (14-2-3-1) who also has had success with his sons Michael & Wayne (2-1-0-0) who he prepares #6 Divine Prophet ($12) in partnership with this season
- The previous Champagne Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are Hugh Bowman (9-2-1-1) on #3 Chimboraa ($19) and Kerrin McEvoy (6-2-0-2) on #4 El Sicario ($21)
- Last year’s winning barrier (4) has produced two winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #9 Yankee Rose
- The most successful Champagne Stakes barrier in that time with eight wins is six drawn this year by #8 North Sky ($126) who is the roughie of the field
- The other best gates in the past 30 years are 1 (five wins) and 7 (six wins) drawn on Saturday by #7 Obscura (1) and #1 Prized Icon (7) respectively
- Favourites have won four of the past five editions of the race including Pasadena Girl (2015) last year
- This year’s favourite is #9 Yankee Rose
- The Inglis Sires’ Produce Stakes has produced nine Champagne Stakes winners in the past 10 years
- The horses coming off an Inglis Sires’ run this year are: Yankee Rose (1st), Faraway Town (3rd) and Chimboraa (7th)
- #9 Yankee Rose is after the Inglis Sires’ – Champagne Stakes double most recently achieved by Helmet (2011), Pierro (2012) and Guelph (2013)
- No Champagne Stakes winner has finished worse than fourth in their lead-up run since Mentality (2006); the horses coming off a top four run this year are #1 Prized Icon, #2 Jaws Of Steel, #4 El Sicario, #5 Crown Him, #6 Divine Prophet, #9 Yankee Rose, #10 Faraway Town and #11 Pop
- Along with the Inglis’ Sires winner #9 Yankee Rose the other last start winners in the field are #1 Prized Icon (Listed Fernhill Handicap, 1600m, Randwick, 09/04/2016), #2 Jaws Of Steel (Mornington Sires’, 1500m, Mornington, 02/04/2016) and #6 Divine Prophet (2YO Hcp, 1200m, Kembla Grange, 23/03/2016)
- The horse with the best Win Rate of the field is #9 Yankee Rose (75%) followed by #2 Jaws Of Steel (50%) and #6 Divine Prophet (50%)
- Three horses have a 100% Place Rate with #1 Prized Icon, #4 El Sicario from New Zealand and #9 Yankee Rose
- The only runners with previous experience over the distance (1600m) are #1 Prized Icon (1-1-0-0) and #5 Crown Him (1-0-1-0)
- The horses with previous winning form at the track (Randwick) are #1 Prized Icon (4-1-1-2) and #9 Yankee Rose (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Champagne Stakes 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime treat yourself with up to $500 in bonus bets by opening a new account with Ladbrokes.com.au, depositing and quoting the code BETBONUS!