Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The Champagne Stakes 2016 is one of two Group 1 highlights on the Randwick race card in Sydney this Saturday for All Aged Stakes Day, a detailed form guide analysis and betting update for which is found below.
Due to run as Randwick Race 5 at 2:30pm (AEDT), this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Moet & Chandon Champagne Stakes (1600m) field features 11 two-year-olds with Yankee Rose odds-on favourite at Ladbrokes.com.au for the win.
David Vandyke’s Golden Slipper runner-up won the Group 1 ATC Sires’ Produce Stakes (1400m) last time out at the track and had over two lengths to spare on the line.
She should handle the step up to a mile then no issues this weekend from barrier four and is at $1.45 to take her career record up to four wins from five starts.
There are two other hopes under $10 to score the Champagne Stakes upset on Saturday with last weekend’s Fernhill Handicap winner Prized Icon on the drift out from $7.50 to $8.50 and the John O’Shea-trained Street Cry colt Obscura the market mover backed in from $9.50 to the same $8.50 price.
That’s the story the bookies are telling, but what about the Champagne Stakes form guide and betting history?
2016 Champagne Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Champagne Stakes winner was the Peter Moody-trained Pasadena Girl (2015) who came off a fourth in the Inglis Sires’ and jumped form barrier four (of nine) with Hugh Bowman guiding the favourite to victory
- Pasadena Girl was the third filly in as many years to win the Champagne Stakes joining Go Indy Go (2014) and Guelph (2013)
- There are three fillies in the mix this year with #9 Yankee Rose ($1.45), #10 Faraway Town ($16) and #11 Pop ($71)
- The only previous Champagne Stakes winning trainer with a runner this year is John Hawkes (14-2-3-1) who also has had success with his sons Michael & Wayne (2-1-0-0) who he prepares #6 Divine Prophet ($12) in partnership with this season
- The previous Champagne Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are Hugh Bowman (9-2-1-1) on #3 Chimboraa ($19) and Kerrin McEvoy (6-2-0-2) on #4 El Sicario ($21)
- Last year’s winning barrier (4) has produced two winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #9 Yankee Rose
- The most successful Champagne Stakes barrier in that time with eight wins is six drawn this year by #8 North Sky ($126) who is the roughie of the field
- The other best gates in the past 30 years are 1 (five wins) and 7 (six wins) drawn on Saturday by #7 Obscura (1) and #1 Prized Icon (7) respectively
- Favourites have won four of the past five editions of the race including Pasadena Girl (2015) last year
- This year’s favourite is #9 Yankee Rose
- The Inglis Sires’ Produce Stakes has produced nine Champagne Stakes winners in the past 10 years
- The horses coming off an Inglis Sires’ run this year are: Yankee Rose (1st), Faraway Town (3rd) and Chimboraa (7th)
- #9 Yankee Rose is after the Inglis Sires’ – Champagne Stakes double most recently achieved by Helmet (2011), Pierro (2012) and Guelph (2013)
- No Champagne Stakes winner has finished worse than fourth in their lead-up run since Mentality (2006); the horses coming off a top four run this year are #1 Prized Icon, #2 Jaws Of Steel, #4 El Sicario, #5 Crown Him, #6 Divine Prophet, #9 Yankee Rose, #10 Faraway Town and #11 Pop
- Along with the Inglis’ Sires winner #9 Yankee Rose the other last start winners in the field are #1 Prized Icon (Listed Fernhill Handicap, 1600m, Randwick, 09/04/2016), #2 Jaws Of Steel (Mornington Sires’, 1500m, Mornington, 02/04/2016) and #6 Divine Prophet (2YO Hcp, 1200m, Kembla Grange, 23/03/2016)
- The horse with the best Win Rate of the field is #9 Yankee Rose (75%) followed by #2 Jaws Of Steel (50%) and #6 Divine Prophet (50%)
- Three horses have a 100% Place Rate with #1 Prized Icon, #4 El Sicario from New Zealand and #9 Yankee Rose
- The only runners with previous experience over the distance (1600m) are #1 Prized Icon (1-1-0-0) and #5 Crown Him (1-0-1-0)
- The horses with previous winning form at the track (Randwick) are #1 Prized Icon (4-1-1-2) and #9 Yankee Rose (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Champagne Stakes 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime treat yourself with up to $500 in bonus bets by opening a new account with Ladbrokes.com.au, depositing and quoting the code BETBONUS!
2016 Champagne Stakes Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.