Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The premier staying race of the Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival takes place at Randwick Racecourse this Saturday and below is the full Sydney Cup 2016 form guide and betting preview.
Due to run as Randwick Race 7 at 3:15pm (AEST) on Day 2 of ‘The Championships’, the field for this season’s $2 million Group 1 Schweppes Sydney Cup (3200m) features 11 stayers.
Dominating the Sydney Cup odds at Ladbrokes.com.au are three stablemates from the Chris Waller stables including the market mover, last year’s runner-up and current favourite this season Who Shot Thebarman ($3.40).
The money is coming for this rising eight-year-old who is out to go one better than his second to the fellow Waller-trained Grand Marshal in the race 12 months ago.
Following the 57kg top weight in Sydney Cup betting are last weekend’s Chairman’s Handicap winner Libran ($3.80) getting in on just 53kg and the defending Sydney Cup winner Grand Marshal ($4.20) who James McDonald rides on 55kg.
To see if there’s any value tipping an upset from outside Waller’s contingent, below are the must know Sydney Cup facts and betting statistics!
2016 Sydney Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Sydney Cup winner was the Chris Waller-trained Grand Marshal (2015) who came off a third in the Group 2 Chairman’s Handicap, carried 52kg from barrier 4 (of 11) and won as a $40 outsider with Jim Cassidy in the saddle
- This year Chris Waller (12-2-2-0) shoots for back-to-back wins with the reigning champion #3 Grand Marshal ($4.20) along with #1 Who Shot Thebarman ($3.40) and #4 Libran ($3.80)
- #3 Grand Marshal is looking to become the first back-to-back Sydney Cup winner since Tie The Knot (1998-99)
- Along with Waller the other previous Sydney Cup winning trainers with a runner on Saturday are: David Hayes (8-1-0-1) who prepares #2 Almoonqith in partnership with Tom Dabernig, Robert Hickmott (4-1-1-0) with #7 Gallante, and Gai Waterhouse (20-2-3-1) with #8 Café Society and #10 Dee I Cee
- The previous Sydney Cup winning jockeys with a ride this year are: Hugh Bowman (5-1-0-0) on #2 Almoonqith, Tommy Berry (4-1-0-0) on #5 Auvray and Kerrin McEvoy (11-1-2-1) on #7 Gallante
- Last year’s winning barrier (4) has produced a total of four winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #10 Dee I Cee ($51)
- The most successful Sydney Cup barrier in that time producing nine winners is the coveted gate eight drawn this season by #5 Auvray ($31)
- The Chairman’s Handicap has produced seven of the past eight Sydney Cup winners including Grand Marshal (3rd) last year
- The Chairman’s graduates in the mix this year are: Libran (1st), Café Society (3rd), Auvray (4th), Destiny’s Kiss (5th) and Dee I Cee (6th)
- #4 Libran is out to complete the Chairman’s Handicap – Sydney Cup double last achieved by The Offer (2014)
- The only other last start winner in this year’s Sydney Cup field is #11 Bayanova (Benchmark 84, 3000m, Sandown-Lakeside, 16/03/2016)
- The only Sydney Cup winner to come off a non-Sydney lead-up since 2001 was Adelaide Cup winner Gallic (2007)
- Since Tie The Knot’s second Sydney Cup win in 1999 carrying 57kg only one champion has carried more than 56kg to victory with Mourayan (58kg in 2013)
- This year’s Sydney Cup top weight is #1 Who Shot Thebarman (57kg)
- Favourites have won five of the past 10 editions of the race most recently The Offer (2014) and this year’s current top fancy is #1 Who Shot Thebarman ($3.40)
- Only one mare has won since Makybe Diva (2004) with Jessicabeel (2010); the sole mare in the mix this autumn is #11 Bayanova
- Seven-year-olds have the best record in the past decade with four wins; the 7YOs in the race this season are: #1 Who Shot Thebarman and #6 Destiny’s Kiss ($19)
- The past two editions of the Sydney Cup were run and won on a Heavy track and Saturday is likely to see another Heavy going edition
- The best Heavy track performers in the field are: #6 Destiny’s Kiss (11-5-0-0), #7 Gallante (2-2-0-0), #1 Who Shot Thebarman (3-1-0-0), #3 Grand Marshal (4-0-2-1) and #5 Auvray (3-1-0-0)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #4 Libran (44%) followed by #5 Auvray (36%) and #1 Who Shot Thebarman (30%)
- The best Place Rate of the field belongs to #10 Dee I Cee (67%) followed by #4 Libran (56%) and #8 Café Society (55%)
- Over the distance (3200m) those with the best form are: #1 Who Shot Thebarman (5-1-1-1), #2 Almoonqith (3-1-0-0), #3 Grand Marshal (3-1-0-1), #6 Destiny’s Kiss (1-1-0-0) and #9 Like A Carousel (7-0-2-1)
- At the Randwick track the horses with the best strike rate are: #4 Libran (3-2-0-1), #6 Destiny’s Kiss (16-2-2-3) and #3 Grand Marshal (10-1-2-1)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Sydney Cup 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
Before then go over the full form guide below and head to our preferred online sportsbook Ladbrokes.com.au where first time depositing players only need to quote the code BETBONUS to enjoy up to $500 in bonus bets for a short time only!
2016 Sydney Cup Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.