Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The two-year-olds steal the show at Rosehill Gardens Racecourse in Sydney this Saturday with the running of the Golden Slipper 2016, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which is found below.
Due to run as Rosehill Race 7 at 4:30pm (AEDT) as one of five elite levels on the card, this year’s $3.5 million Group 1 Longines Golden Slipper (1200m) field is at capacity with 16 starters plus an emergency needing an early scratching to gain a start.
Three Golden Slipper favourites have saluted for the punters in the past five years and this year Mick Price’s Blue Diamond Stakes winner Extreme Choice is the easing top fancy ($2.90 out to $3.10) to be the next in the wake of Vancouver’s success last Sydney Autumn Racing Carnival.
The undefeated son of Not A Single Doubt has won all three of his starts to date including the Melbourne elite level by nearly two lengths from barrier 11 of 16 and should get a dream run in the Slipper from barrier seven (into six if the emergency comes out) with Craig Newitt staying in the saddle.
In the Blue Diamond three weeks back Extreme Choice beat home the fellow Price-trained Flying Artie who is out to turn the tables on his star stablemate from a better barrier this weekend as the $5 second fancy.
There has also been a tickle in the markets for one-time favourite Capitalist ($9) who won the Gold Coast Magic Millions Classic in January over the distance as well as his shock last start conqueror Kiss And Make Up ($10) for six-time Golden Slipper winning trainer Gai Waterhouse.
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about the Golden Slipper Stakes form guide and betting history, revealed in our below must know Golden Slipper facts!
2016 Golden Slipper Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Golden Slipper winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Vancouver (2015) who backed up off a Todman Stakes win, jumped from barrier 16 (of 16) with Tommy Berry aboard as the 6/4 favourite
- This year Waterhouse shoots for yet another Slipper success saddling-up #4 Kiss And Make Up ($10) and #11 Scarlet Rain ($21)
- Along with Waterhouse (41-6-4-6) the other previous Golden Slipper winning trainers with a runners on Saturday are: Peter Snowden (12-1-2-1) who saddles-up #3 Defcon, #7 Capitalist and #16 Quick Feet in partnership with his son Paul; and Team Hawkes (5-1-0-1) with #6 Star Turn the co-trainer of which John Hawkes has also had success on his won (37-2-3-2)
- Last year’s winning jockey Tommy Berry, who also rode Overreach (2013) to victory, shoots for back-to-back wins this year aboard #11 Scarlet Rain
- Along with Berry (5-2-0-0) the other previous Golden Slipper winning jockeys with a ride this season are: Damien Oliver (18-1-1-3) on #2 Flying Artie, Brett Prebble (4-1-0-0) on #3 Defcon, Kerrin McEvoy (8-1-2-0) on #4 Kiss And Make Up and James McDonald (4-1-0-0) on #5 Astern
- Vancouver took out the Todman Stakes – Golden Slipper double in 2015 which stablemate #4 Kiss And Make Up looks to complete again in 2016
- The Todman Stakes has produced four of the past seven Golden Slipper Stakes winners and the only other runner backing up out of the race along with the winner Kiss And Make Up this year is the beaten favourite Capitalist (2nd)
- The past seven Golden Slipper winners ran first or second in their lead-up race
- This year there are nine last start winners in the mix including the returning #13 Yankee Rose ($26) who hasn’t run since November
- The only runners in the field that finished out of the top two last start are: #6 Star Turn (5th), #9 Telperion (4th), #14 Sweet Sherry (6th), #15 Honesty Prevails (4th) and the emergency #17e Moqueen (3rd)
- The last Golden Slipper winner to come off a non-Sydney lead-up was Catbird (1999) who won Canberra’s Black Opal Stakes last start
- Five fillies have beaten home the boys in the past 10 years giving the girls a 50% recent strike rate with the latest being Mossfun (2014)
- This year there are eight fillies in the mix including the emergency with: #10 French Fern, #11 Scarlet Rain, #12 Calliope, #13 Yankee Rose, #14 Sweet Sherry, #15 Honesty Prevails, #16 Quick Feet and #17e Moqueen
- The best fancied of the fillies this season is #12 Calliope ($18) followed by #11 Scarlet Rain ($21) who won the Group 2 Magic Night Stakes (1200m) and the Group 2 Sweet Embrace Stakes (1200m) respectively last start
- The Magic Night Stakes is named in honour of the first ever filly to win Magic Night (1961)
- In the past 10 years four favourites have saluted for the punters and this year the top fancy is #1 Extreme Choice
- Last year’s winning barrier (16) has produced two winners (since 1983) and was drawn this year by #11 Scarlet Rain who will come into 15 if the emergency comes out leaving #5 Astern ($11) with barrier 16
- The most successful Golden Slipper Barrier (since 1983) producing seven winners in that time is one drawn this weekend by roughie hope #16 Quick Feet ($201)
- No Golden Slipper winner has ever jumped from barrier 13 – the hoodoo gate drawn by #10 French Fern but belong to #3 Defcon (14) if the emergency Moqueen (4) comes out
- There are five previously undefeated runners in the field this year with: #1 Extreme Choice, #4 Kiss And Make Up, #5 Astern, #11 Scarlet Rain and #13 Yankee Rose who all boast 100% Win Rates
- Along with the above there are another five horses that are yet to finish out of the money boasting 100% Place rates with: #2 Flying Artie, #3 Defcon, #7 Capitalist, #8 Good Standing and #10 French Fern
- The highest earners in the field are #7 Capitalist ($1,479,200), #1 Extreme Choice ($1,299,750) and #2 Flying Artie ($429,000)
- Previous winners over the distance (1200m) are: #10 French Fern (3-2-0-1), #4 Kiss And Make Up (2-2-0-0), #7 Capitalist (2-1-1-0), #1 Extreme Choice (1-1-0-0), #3 Defcon (1-1-0-0), #8 Good Standing (1-1-0-0), #11 Scarlet Rain (1-1-0-0) and #12 Calliope (1-1-0-0)
- Previous winners at the track (Rosehill) are: #13 Yankee Rose (2-2-0-0), #5 Astern (1-1-0-0), #11 Scarlet Rain (1-1-0-0), #12 Calliope (1-1-0-0) and #15 Honesty Prevails (1-1-0-0)
- #3 Defcon ($21) is yet to win at Rosehill but from two runs at the course he has twice run second
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Golden Slipper 2016 betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime scroll over the full form guide and then head to our preferred online bookmaker Ladbrokes.com.au to get in on the action!
2016 Golden Slipper Form Guide
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.