This Saturday in Perth two Group 1 races highlight the Ascot race card including the Winterbottom Stakes 2015, a detailed form guide and betting analysis for which is detailed below.
Due to run as Ascot Race 7 at 3:50pm (WA time) on the Railway Stakes Day program, this year’s $1 million Group 1 Crown Perth Winterbottom Stakes (1200m) attracted a capacity field of sprinters.
Leading the Winterbottom Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au is Robert Heathcote’s $5.2 million earner Buffering who comes off a close fourth to Delectation in the Group 1 Darley Classic (1200m) in Melbourne from November 7.
He ran and won the 2013 Winterbottom Stakes in his only previous Ascot run and is looking to repeat the feat of Ortensia who won non-successive editions of the classic in 2009 and 2011.
The next best in Winterbottom Stakes betting are the David Hayes & Tom Dabernig-trained Fast ‘N’ Rocking ($5.50) from Melbourne and the best of the local hopes Watermans Bay ($7.50) coming off a first-up second to Rock Magic in the Group 3 Colonel Reeves Stakes (1100m) from the start of the month.
Also at single figures for the win are market mover Magnifisio ($8) shooting for back-to-back wins in the Winterbottom and Lucky Street ($8) who is undefeated at the track and distance.
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about the Winterbottom Stakes form guide, betting history and statistics?
2015 Winterbottom Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Winterbottom Stakes winner was the Jim Taylor-trained Magnifisio ($7.50) who came off a Group 2 Lee Steere Stakes win and jumped from barrier 10 (of 12) with Jason Brown aboard
- This year Magnifisio is back looking to secure successive wins in the race for the first time since Hardrada (2002-03)
- He is now prepared by Vaughn Sigley and comes off a second in this year’s Lee Steere Stakes
- Sigley saddles up his first Winterbottom Stakes runner in the defending champion
- The previous Winterbottom Stakes winning trainers with a runner this year are: Robert Heathcote (1-1-0-0) with #1 Buffering, and David Hayes (5-2-1-0) who trains #2 Fast ‘N’ Rocking in partnership with his nephew Tom Dabernig
- The previous Winterbottom Stakes winning jockeys with a ride this year are: Damian Browne (1-1-0-0) on #1 Buffering, William Pike (8-2-0-1) on #4 Shining Knight, Peter Knuckey (15-1-1-0) on #9 Liberty’s Gem, Craig Williams (2-2-0-0) on #12 Sujet, Damien Oliver (5-1-0-1) on #17e Silverstream and Jason Brown (18-3-2-3) who shoots for his fourth win aboard #13 Magnifisio
- Magnifisio ($8) is also drawn the outside alley this year (17 into 16) and no horse has won from wider than 14 in over 30 years
- Last year’s winning barrier 10 has produced two winners (since 1983) and was drawn by #1 Buffering (10) but with the scratching of Sheidel (4) belongs to #3 Watermans Bay (11)
- The most successful barrier with five winners in that time is one drawn this year by roughie shot #14 Cool Trade ($61)
- Favourites have a gun record in the past 10 years with six wins most recently Buffering (2013)
- This year #1 Buffering ($4) is the favourite again looking to continue the good record of top fancies in the race
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #16 Lucky Street (63%) and #17 Silverstream (63%) followed by #11 Madassa (54%)
- The best Place Rate belongs to #10 Checkpoint (88%) followed by #11 Madassa (85%)
Stay tuned for our insider Winterbottom Stakes 2015 tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime gear up for the Perth Summer Racing Carnival action by signing up with Ladbrokes.com.au who will match your first deposit dollar for dollar up to $500 when you quote the code BETBONUS!