Barrier one has proved the charmed gate for more VRC Derby winners in the past 30 years than any other gate and on Saturday the 2015 edition of the Flemington classic has the inside alley belonging to the Perth raider Kia Ora Koutou.
Yet to race outside of Western Australia, Lark Hill horseman Adam Durrant is throwing his Blackfriars gelding into the deep end taking him to the Melbourne Cup Carnival this weekend for his black-type debut in the $1.5 million Group 1 AAMI Victoria Derby (2500m).
The Perth form is hard to rate and knowing how the undefeated, four-time winner will stack-up against the star local hopes is tough.
That said, Kia Ora Koutou is set to run out the distance without an issue after doing it easy at home over 2200m by over a length at the start of the month, and keeping fit with a winning trial over 1450m since then.
So will the inside alley prove the best barrier to jump from again and lead Kia Ora Koutou to his fifth win from as many starts in the Victoria Derby finish on Saturday or will he suffer his first loss and be outclassed in the classic?
Victoria Derby Horse Form: #3 Kia Ora Koutou
Jockey: Joseph Azzopardi
Trainer: Adam Durrant
Owners: Mr G F Durrant, Mr A T Wilson, Mr E G L Moore
Breeding: by Blackfriars from Kia Ora Miss
Last 6: 1111
Prize Money: $184,150
Current 2015 Victoria Derby Odds: $7
Why Kia Ora Koutou Can Win the Victoria Derby 2015
- Barrier one has produced five VRC Derby winners (since 1983) including two in the past years and Polanski (2013) just two years ago
- Is the market mover backed in from $8 to $7
- The horse’s regular rider Joseph Azzopardi travels over to continue his association
- Has strong winning form over 2200m so looks like he’ll run out the trip better than a number of others
- Is undefeated with four wins from as many starts back home to date
Why Kia Ora Koutou Won’t be the 2015 Victoria Derby Winner
- While Azzopardi knows the horse well the hoop is not a big race specialist and has his maiden VRC Derby ride on the weekend
- The Perth form might not stack up against the local hopes
- He is yet to race outside of WA so makes his interstate debut in a really tough race
- Hasn’t run at Flemington or in black-type let alone Group 1 company so is right up in class
Think Kia Ora Koutou has what it takes to match the locals in elite level company in Melbourne on Saturday? Then back him at the hottest odds online now at Ladbrokes.com.au who are also offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on the full Flemington Derby Day program!