On Saturday the promising Mick Price-trained Tarzino is out to become just the fourth favourite in 20 years to win the Victoria Derby 2015 at Flemington, so can he live up to the hype and salute for the punters?
A progressive son of Tavistock, the nicely-bred colt is one of a full field of three-year-olds running in this year’s $1.5 million Group 1 AAMI Victoria Derby (2500m), odds for which will be offered at Best Tote or SP + 20% by Ladbrokes.com.au on Saturday!
Currently he is on the ease out from $2.40 to a much more backable though still very short $3.20.
He was a fast-finishing third in the Moonee Valley Vase last weekend and was very strong in the end, the perfect trial heading into the 2500m of the Derby.
But from barrier 10 and seeing the distance for the first time there are queries and some suggest the favourite in the VRC Derby is again vulnerable.
Victoria Derby Horse Form: #7 Tarzino
Jockey: Craig Newitt
Trainer: Mick Price
Owners: Mr M G Price, Dr C G Lawler, Mrs M Jurie, Mr J G Bebedellis, Mrs C Price, Mr G Bebedellis, Mr J J Mcnicholas, Mr G Alas, Mr J P Bergin, R A & J E Ferguson Partnership
Breeding: by Tavistock (NZ) from Zarzino (NZ)
Last 6: 31173
Prize Money: $96,050
Current 2015 Victoria Derby Odds: $3.20
Why Tarzino Can Break the Victoria Derby Favourites’ Hoodoo
- Craig Newitt retains the ride aboard the horse for the sixth time in as many career runs
- Colts just hold the advantage over gelding’s in the race with six of the past 10 wins
- In New Zealand-bred and bred to stay the Derby distance
- Has a solid 40% Win Rate and an impressive 80% Place Rate
- Ran an excellent Derby trial with smart late sectionals when third in the Vase last start
- Four winners have come out of the Vase in the past 10 years with the last third placegetter to improve and take out the Group 1 being Benicio (2005)
Why Tarzino Won’t Win the 2015 Victoria Derby
- Jumps from barrier 10 which has produced just one runner since 1990 with Monaco Consul (2009)
- Newitt is yet to ride a VRC Derby winner
- Is yet to race at Flemington
- Hasn’t seen the 2500m before
- Favourites have a poor record in the VRC Derby
- The punters are shying away from him and he is drifting in the odds
- Needs to get the right run to be in the finish
Think there is value outside the favourite in Saturday’s feature race at Flemington? Take Tarzino on in the exclusive Favourite v Field markets at Ladbrokes.com.au who are also giving punters $150 in bonus bets when they deposit $50 and quote the code BONUS150!