A traditional Melbourne Cup lead-up, the Mackinnon Stakes 2015 is one of the headline features of Victoria Derby Day at Flemington Racecourse this weekend and a detailed form guide and betting preview on the weight-for-age classic is found below.
This year’s $1 million Group 1 Longines Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) is due to jump at 3:05pm (AEST) as Race 6 and features a field of 15 hopefuls after a notable attrition rate from nomination stage.
Available at Best Tote or SP + 20% at Ladbrokes.com.au along with all other eight Flemington races on Saturday, the Mackinnon Stakes field and betting markets are firmly led by the rails-drawn Magic Hurricane ($5.50).
Barrier one may not have produced a Mackinnon Stakes winner since Oliver Twist (2000m) but the bookies have John O’Shea’s Sydney raider Magic Hurricane tipped as the one to beat this season.
The six-year-old comes off ace form at home including the Group 1 The Metropolitan (2400m) win at Randwick on October 3, but is yet to race in Melbourne and drops back to a distance he is yet to succeed over.
There are five other single figure hopes in the latest Mackinnon Stakes odds including Stratum Star ($7.50) with a wide gate 14 draw for jockey Craig Williams to overcome chasing his second win following success with Alcopop (2012) two years ago and the Chris Waller-trained import Flamingo Star chasing his first win down under.
With the favourite vulnerable historically speaking and so many livewire chances in an open market below are the must know Mackinnon Stakes facts so you can bet with confidence at Ladbrokes.com.au this weekend!
2015 Mackinnon Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Mackinnon Stakes winner was the Paul Beshara-trained Happy Trails who came off a sixth in the Cox Plate and jumped from barrier 12 (of 14) with Damien Oliver aboard the 6/1 chance
- #2 Happy Trails ($9) is back in 2015 chasing back-to-back wins in the Mackinnon for the first time since Belmura Lad (1980-81)
- This year he comes off a Cox Plate 10th, is drawn barrier six and has Mark Zahra in the saddle
- Zahra (2-0-0-0) chases his first win in the race but the previous Mackinnon Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are Damien Oliver (18-5-1-2) on #1 Fawkner ($10), Jim Cassidy (16-1-1-3) on #4 Pornichet ($9) and Craig Williams (5-1-1-0) on #13 Stratum Star ($7.50)
- Along with Paul Beshara (1-1-0-0) the other previous Mackinnon Stakes winning trainers with a runner this weekend are: David Hayes (16-1-4-0) who trains #3 Extra Zero ($26) and #14 Rising Romance ($21) along with Tom Dabernig, and Gai Waterhouse (13-4-2-1) with #4 Pornichet and #10 Ecuador ($26)
- Last year’s winning barrier 12 has produced just the one winner (since 1983) and belongs on Saturday to #14 Rising Romance
- The most successful Mackinnon Stakes barrier in that time with five winners is gate 4 that #4 Pornichet will jump from on Saturday
- The other best barriers with four wins each are 2, 3 and 5 drawn this year by #11 Magic Artist ($13), #10 Ecuador and the French raider #7 Gailo Chop ($18) respectively
- The Cox Plate has produced more Mackinnon Stakes winners than any other race including seven of the past 10
- This year the Cox Plate graduates backing up a week later in the Mackinnon are: Pornichet (4th), Fawkner (6th), Gailo Chop (8th) and Happy Trails (10th)
- Favourites have won just two of the past 10 Mackinnon Stakes and this year #9 Magic Hurricane ($5.50) is the one to beat according to the bookies
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #7 Gailo Chop (54%) followed by #5 Contributer (47%) and #1 Fawkner (37%)
- The best Place Rate of the field also belongs to #7 Gailo Chop (77%) followed by #13 Startum Star (75%), #10 Ecuador (74%) and #15 Set Square (73%)
- There are two last start winners in the line-up with #9 Magic Hurricane (Group 1 The Metropolitan, 2400m, Randwick, 03/10/2015) and #13 Stratum Star (Group 3 Coongy Handicap, 2000m, Caulfield, 17/10/2015)
- The last Mackinnon Stakes winner to come off a win was So You Think (2010) who came out of the Cox Plate
- The horses with the best record over the distance (2000m) are: #5 Contributer (10-7-0-2), #7 Gailo Chop (11-7-0-0), #8 Index Linked (9-4-1-1), #3 Extra Zero (61-3-17-7), #2 Happy Trails (15-2-3-2), #4 Pornichet (5-2-0-0) and #11 Magic Artist (7-2-1-1)
- The horses with the best record at the track (Flemington) are: #1 Fawkner (13-6-3-1), #2 Happy Trails (11-3-0-2), #8 Index Linked (5-2-1-0) and #3 Extra Zero (31-2-10-2)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Mackinnon Stakes 2015 betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime sign-up with Ladbrokes.com.au and deposit only $50 quoting the code BONUS150 to enjoy $150 in bonuses to enjoy for Derby Day!