In the 2015 Cox Plate Sydney’s five-time Premiership winning horseman Chris Waller has three runners as he shoots for a maiden victory in the classic, but can the longest priced of his trio Preferment beat his stablemate and the now favourite Winx?
A full field of 14 is engaged to face off in Moonee Valley Race 9 this afternoon – the $3 million Group 1 W.S. Cox Plate (2040m), markets for which are now led by Waller’s four-year-old Street Cry mare Winx.
Just two mares have won the Cox Plate in the past 10 years, Pinker Pinker (2011) the latest who came off a second in Sydney’s Group 1 Epsom Handicap (1600m).
This season Winx won the Epsom over the mile, her fourth win in as many starts, with the Queensland Oaks winner the sole filly in the mix for today’s Cox Plate.
She has overtaken the Aidan O’Brien-trained Irish raider Highland Reel in Cox Plate betting at Ladbrokes.com.au, where punters can lock in Best Tote or SP + 20% on all 10 Moonee Valley races this afternoon, who is on the ease out $6 to follow in the footsteps of his former stablemate Adelaide.
Winx is now paying $5 for the win, backed in from $7.50, with Waller’s other two runners being Caulfield Stakes fourth placed Kermadec ($9.50) in barrier 10 for triple Cox Plate winning hoop Glen Boss and Preferment at an easing $14.
Drawn in barrier nine, which last produced a Cox Plate winner three years ago with Ocean Park (2012), Preferment is a nicely-bred Zabeel stallion out to become the fifth four-year-old in six years to take out the Cox Plate.
He is in flying form coming off back-to-back wins over the Cox Plate distance, the latest being the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) at Flemington on October 4.
So can he make it three from three and score the Cox Plate upset?
Cox Plate Horse Form: #12 Preferment
Jockey: Nash Rawiller
Trainer: Chris Waller
Owners: Mrs L F Huddy, Woppitt Bloodstock, Mr I Bruce, Mr G L Huddy, Magic Bloodstock Racing, Mr R Smith, Mr B L Mathieson, Mr K H Warriner, Mr J T C Lake, Mr F W Cook, Mrs C M Cook, G G Ltd
Breeding: by Zabeel (NZ) from Better Alternative
Last 6: 28×011
Prize Money: $1,503,405
Current 2015 Cox Plate Odds: $14
Why Preferment Can Win the Cox Plate in 2015
- Is drawn well in barrier nine that Ocean Park (2012) won from just three years ago
- Is the right age with four 4YOs winning in the past five years
- Nicely-bred being a son of Zabeel
- Comes off a Group 1 win in Melbourne over the Cox Plate distance
- The Turnbull Stakes form stacked up in 2007 with El Segundo (6th) winning the Cox Plate next start
- Is a dual winner over 2000m and has a top record over the distance (3-2-1-0)
Why Preferment Can’t be the Cox Plate 2015 Winner
- Needs to prove himself at WFA going up a kilo from the 56.5kg he had on his back last time out
- Jockey Nash Rawiller has never ridden the horse or rode a Cox Plate winner
- His two stablemates are rated better hopes with Winx and Kermadec livewire chances
- Chris Waller has saddled up five previous Cox Plate hopes but is yet to run top three
- Stablemate Royal Descent was second in the Turnbull and ran last in the Caulfield Cup next run so the form is iffy
- No Turnbull Stakes winner has backed up next run to win the Cox Plate since Makybe Diva (2005)
- Only has a 21% Win Rate
- Yet to run at Moonee Valley
Think Preferment is a value bet in the Cox Plate field? Then head to [Ladbrokes] and back him at the right price at the bookie also offering an Extra 50% on your very first Fixed Odds winner in Races 1 – 5 on the Moonee Valley card today!