After only seeing the 2000m last time out the Chris Waller-trained Kermadec gets the chance to prove himself at the distance with a win in the Cox Plate 2015 this Saturday in Melbourne.
A dual Group 1 winner over the Randwick mile back home in Sydney with success in the autumn’s Doncaster Mile and the George Main Stakes this September, the consistent Kermadec is one of three in the $3 million Group 1 W.S. Cox Plate (2040m) line-up for Waller.
Sydney’s top trainer, expat Kiwi horseman Waller has had five previous runners in Australasia’s weight-for-age championship without success.
This weekend at Moonee Valley Racecourse he runs three livewire hopes with the best in Cox Plate betting at Ladbrokes.com.au, home of Best Tote or SP + 20% on all the Cox Plate Day races on Saturday, is his Epsom Handicap winning mare Winx ($6).
Also in the mix for the stable is Turnbull Stakes winner last time our Preferment ($13) at double figures and shorter in the markets, Kermadec at a current quote of $9.
Drawn wide in barrier 10, the four-year-old Teofilo stallion had his maiden Melbourne run a fortnight ago in the Group 1 Caulfield Stakes (2000m) when beaten only 1.35 lengths by returning star Criterion who pays $6 to add the Cox Plate trophy to the cabinet.
So can Kermadec overcome the barrier in the 14-starter field and blitz his first run at Moonee Valley to hand Waller the Cox Plate trophy?
Cox Plate Horse Form: #11 Kermadec
Jockey: Glen Boss
Trainer: Chris Waller
Owners: Mr N Morgan
Breeding: by Teofilo (IRE) from Hy Fuji
Last 6: 1×5214
Prize Money: $2,595,025
Current 2015 Cox Plate Odds: $9
Why Kermadec Can Win the Cox Plate 2015
- Well-weighted with 57.5kg under the WFA conditions as a multiple Group 1 winner
- Jockey Glen Boss is a triple Cox Plate winner most recently aboard Ocean Park (2012) and rode Kermadec to victory in both the Doncaster and George Main
- Is a dual Group 1 winner with class on the rise
- Was only beaten 1.35 lengths by Criterion in the Caulfield Stakes in the lead-up
- Has run the Melbourne way of going now and should take benefit from that start
- The Caulfield Stakes last produced a Cox Plate winner in 2013 with Ocean Park doing the double
- Is the right age with four-year-olds winning four of the past five editions
- Three of those were also stallions making Kermadec a good hope as 4YO Horse
Why Kermadec Can’t be the 2015 Cox Plate Winner
- Needs to overcome barrier 10, which hasn’t produced a Cox Plate winner since Bonecrusher (1986)
- Chris Waller is yet to prepare a Cox Plate winner
- Boss finished dead last in last Saturday’s Caulfield Cup aboard another Waller-trained runner in Royal Descent
- Needs to beat his better-fancied stablemate Winx
- The international contingent especially Highland Reel and Arod look tough in 2015
- Distance is still a bit of a query
- Can he turn the tables on Criterion?
If you think Kermadec is the horse to hand Waller with a Cox Plate win on the weekend then head to Ladbrokes.com.au to enjoy Best Tote or SP + 20% on ALL 10 Moonee Valley races this Saturday!