Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This weekend in Melbourne ace hoop Craig Williams will shoot for a third Cox Plate trophy aboard one of the three international raiders in this year’s capacity field – the Peter Chapple-Hyam-trained Arod.
Betting at Ladbrokes.com.au, where punters can lock in Best Tote or SP + 20% on EVERY Moonee Valley race on Saturday, for the $3 million Group 1 W.S. Cox Plate (2040m) this spring is led by the Irish-trained visitor Highland Reel ($5.50).
Prepared by last year’s winning trainer Aidan O’Brien and ridden by last year’s winning hoop Ryan Moore, who also guided the 2014 Melbourne Cup winner Protectionist to victory during a stellar visit down under, Highland Reel ticks plenty of boxes to salute for the punters this weekend.
Another well-fancied international in the mix however at $8 in the current Cox Plate betting markets is Arod who jumps one on the outside of Highland Reel (4) from barrier five with dual Cox Plate winning jockey Williams in the saddle.
Williams has put the British-trained son of Teofilo through his paces in a couple of strong track gallops since the horse’s arrival in Oz and is confident he is on a winning chance to add to his Cox Plate wins from 2006 on Fields Of Omagh and 2011 on Pinker Pinker.
So can Arod deliver Williams with another success in the weight-for-age classic and remain undefeated over the distance?
Cox Plate Horse Form: #5 Arod
Jockey: Craig Williams
Trainer: Peter Chapple-Hyam
Owners: Qatar Racing Ltd
Breeding: by Teofilo (IRE) from My Personal Space (USA
Last 6: 23112x
Prize Money: $952,288
Current 2015 Cox Plate Odds: $8
Why Arod Can Win the Cox Plate 2015
- Is drawn a treat in barrier five, a gate that has produced the most Cox Plate winners (since 1983) with five
- Has big-race specialist Williams in the saddle who has had 10 Cox Plate rides for two wins and two seconds
- His form over a mile back home last prep was excellent including the Group 2 Summer Mile win and a second to Solow carrying 61kg in the Group 1 Sussex Stakes at the Goodwood
- Is undefeated over 2000m with two wins from as many starts
- Runs well fresh with a first-up record of 3-1-1-1
- Favourites have a poor recent Cox Plate winner but single-figure hopes have won in 2014 (Adelaide 7/1) and Ocean Park (2012 5/1)
Why Arod Won’t be the 2015 Cox Plate Winner
- He is his trainer’s maiden Cox Plate runner
- Races as a 5YO down under and no Cox Plate winner has won as a five-year-old since Northerly won his first in 2001
- Could shape up as a better Place bet with a win rate of only 36% by place rate of 82%
- Has to beat another classy raider in Highland Reel
Thing Arod is worth a shot in Cox Plate betting? Back him on Saturday at Ladbrokes.com.au and enjoy Best Tote or SP + 20% on your selections right across the 10-race Cox Plate Day card at Moonee Valley!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.