Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This Saturday in Melbourne Irish horseman Aidan O’Brien will shoot for back-to-back wins in Australasia’s weight-for-age championship with his visiting galloper Highland Reel leading the current Cox Plate 2015 betting markets.
Twelve months ago O’Brien bought Adelaide down under after the then four-year-old won American’s Secretariat Stakes and the raider took out the $3 million Group 1 W.S. Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley.
Now Highland Reel is in Oz looking to repeat the feat of his former stablemate, the Galileo stallion also having won this year’s Secretariat Stakes.
On the ease in Cox Plate betting through Ladbrokes.com.au, who are running Best Tote or SP + 20% across the card, Highland Reel is out from $5 to $5.50 to become the fifth four-year-old in six years to take out the classic.
So can Highland Reel salute for the punters for the first time since 2010 or will there be another upset Cox Plate result this weekend?
Cox Plate Horse Form: #13 Highland Reel
Jockey: Ryan Moore
Trainer: Aidan O’Brien
Owners: Mr D Smith, Mrs S Magnier, Mr M Tabor
Breeding: by Galileo (IRE) from hveger
Last 6: 625115
Prize Money: $1,109,068
Current 2015 Cox Plate Odds: $5.50
Why Highland Reel Can Win the 2015 Cox Plate
- He is drawn to perfection in barrier four, which last produced a winner with Makybe Diva (2005)
- Gets in well with only 56kg under the WFA conditions, which is 1kg less than what he carried to a fifth in the Irish Champion Stakes last time out
- The lead-up form is similar to Adelaide from last year including the Secretariat Stakes win in the USA
- Last year’s Cox Plate – Melbourne Cup winning jockey Ryan Moore has the ride
- O’Brien and the stable know what it takes to win a Cox Plate after last year’s win with Adelaide
- Is the right age in Australia with four of the past five Cox Plate winners being 4YOs
- The past five male Cox Plate winners in the past six years were all either stallions or colts
- Has a solid 44% and 67% Win and Place rate
- Is a Group 1 winner over the distance
Why Highland Reel Won’t be the Cox Plate 2015 Winner
- Needs to handle Moonee Valley and the tight course
- Hasn’t raced in Australia yet
- Has plenty of ace locals to defeat including the internationally-performed Criterion
- Was fifth last start so needs to improve on that over a similar distance
- If he jumps favourite that is a historical disadvantage with the last favourite to win being So You Think for his second in 2010
To back Highland Reel or to tip an upset in the Group 1 feature at Moonee Valley this weekend make sure you bet online at Ladbrokes.com.au who are also paying an Extra 50% on your very first Fixed Odds winner in Races 1 – 5 on Cox Plate Day!
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.