Twelve months ago the then New Zealand-trained mare Rising Romance ran second in the Caulfield Cup and on Saturday she looks to go one better with a win in 2015 for new trainers David Hayes & Tom Dabernig.
A capacity field is engaged for this year’s edition of the iconic $3 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m), won last Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival by Japanese raider Admire Rakti.
Second past the post in the mile and a half classic was then four-year-old Rising Romance for NZ trainer Donna Logan, the daughter of Ekraar beaten under half a length.
Rising Romance is now prepared by Lindsay Park training duo Hayes & Dabernig and is back for another shot at Caulfield Cup success, seeking her first win down under since last year’s Group 1 ATC Oaks (2400m) over the same distance as a three-year-old.
She has won just once since back in New Zealand and has had three runs this campaign leading up to her test on Saturday where she pays $10 to win through Ladbrokes.com.au – home of Best Tote or SP + 20% on all Caulfield Cup Day races!
Two back she crossed a very close second to 2013 Caulfield Cup winner Fawkner in the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m) over the Flemington mile, but things went amiss in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) last time out when she ran 12th behind Preferment.
She was still only beaten 3.45 lengths however from the outside alley (15 of 15), and like Descarado (14th in 2010) she is out on Saturday to atone for an unplaced Turnbull Stakes run and win the Caulfield Cup.
So will she make up for last start getting back out over more distance on Saturday and become the first Caulfield Cup winning mare since Southern Speed (2011)?
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #14 Rising Romance
Jockey: Damian Lane
Trainer/s: David Hayes & Tom Dabernig
Owner/s: Mr N J Carter, Mrs V M Carter, Mr M R Powell, Mr B H Carter
Breeding: by Ekraar (USA) from Post Romance (NZ)
Last 6: 22×620
Prize Money: $1,568,245
Current 2015 Caulfield Cup Odds: $10
Why Rising Romance Can Win the Caulfield Cup
- Is drawn far better than last time out with barrier two that last produced a Caulfield Cup winner with Tawqeet (2006)
- Inside alley will suite as she ran second in the Makybe Diva Stakes two back from gate one of 14
- Comes off an unplaced Turnbull Stakes run, a race that has produced four of the past six winners with Descarado (14th in 2010) to run near the tail of the field
- Is nicely weighted with only 53kg – the same weight she carried to second last year – and a drop from 55.5kg in the Turnbull Stakes
- The last Caulfield Cup winner to salute with 53kg was Mummify (2003) but Tawqeet (53.5kg in 2006), Descarado (52.5kg in 2010) and Southern Speed (52.5kg in 2011) have carried similar weights to victory since then
- Damian Lane knows the mare well having ridden her for her two latest runs
- Co-trainer David Hayes has prepared two previous winners with Fraar (1993) and Tawqeet (2006)
- Was runner-up in the race last year narrowly beaten
- Has a strong 2400m record (3-1-2-0) including her 2014 ATC Oaks victory
- Currently pays $10 to win – the price both Fawkner (2013) and Admire Rakti (2012) jumped at for their respective wins in the past two years
Why Rising Romance Can’t Win the Caulfield Cup
- Needs to notably improve on her 12th in the Turnbull Stakes last time out
- Jockey Damian Lane is yet to ride a Caulfield Cup winner
- Just two 5YOs have won in the past 10 years most recently Master O’Reilly (2007)
- Mares have only won once since 2001 with Southern Speed (2011)
- Statistically a better place chance with a 62% Place Rate but only 24% Win Rate
If you fancy Rising Romance to win or place in this year’s Caulfield Cup result on Saturday head to Ladbrokes.com.au and enjoy Best Tote or SP + 20% on the entire field and the full 10-event race card!