Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Sydney’s premier horseman Chris Waller is looking for his maiden Caulfield Cup victory this Saturday in Melbourne with a three-horse assault on the classic led by his star mare Royal Descent who is at juicy odds to become a dual Group 1 winner over the distance.
As a three-year-old back in April of 2013, Waller’s classy daughter of Redoute’s Choice won the Group 1 ATC Oaks (2400m) and she has had just one other run over the distance since.
That was in that year’s Caulfield Cup where she was far from disgraced crossing under two lengths away fifth to Fawkner in the mile and a half classic.
After missing last year’s race, the now six-year-old is back for another crack at this year’s $3 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) along with stablemates Grand Marshal ($51) and Who Shot Thebarman ($31) who ran one-two in the Sydney Cup over two miles during the autumn.
Royal Descent, one of five mares in the capacity Caulfield Cup field this Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival, is at shorter odds to hand Waller his maiden win currently at $21 through Ladbrokes.com.au who on Saturday are offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on the race!
The always-honest mare is out to become the first Caulfield Cup winning female galloper since Southern Speed (2011), but has the outside alley (22 into 18) to overcome with big race specialist Glen Boss retaining the ride after he guided her to a devastatingly close second in the Group 1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m) last start on October 4.
So can Royal Descent continue the good record of Turnbull Stakes graduates in the Caulfield Cup and become the fifth in seven years to salute?
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #10 Royal Descent
Barrier: 22 (into 18 of 18)
Jockey: Glen Boss
Trainer: Chris Waller
Owner/s: Mr G Harvey
Breeding: by Redoute’s Choice from Mulan Princess (NZ)
Last 6: 22×620
Prize Money: $2,709,780
Current 2015 Caulfield Cup Odds: $21
Why Royal Descent Can Win the 2015 Caulfield Cup
- Barrier 18 (the outside) is better than it reads with four of the past six Caulfield Cup winners jumping from double digits including Dunaden from 18 in 2012
- Well weighted with 53.5kg that was last carried to victory by Tawqeet (2006) and is half a kilo less than her weight when 5th in the 2013 Caulfield Cup
- She carried the same 53.5kg in the Turnbull Stakes when beaten a nose by stablemate Preferment last start
- The Turnbull Stakes second is excellent form to follow into the Caulfield Cup with four of the past six winners coming out of the Flemington lead-up most recently Fawkner (3rd in 2013)
- Glen Boss retains the ride and knows the mare
- Six-year-olds have won three of the past seven editions most recently Fawkner (2013)
- Has Group 1 winning form over the distance
Why Royal Descent Won’t be the Caulfield Cup Winner
- Will need luck from the outside barrier in an 18-starter field
- While the Turnbull form stacks up, no Turnbull Stakes runner-up as gone on to win the Caulfield Cup next run since Doriemus (1995) 20 years ago
- Glen Boss is yet to ride a Caulfield Cup winner to victory
- Sydney’s best trainer Waller has saddled up 11 previous Caulfield Cup starters but is yet to have a placegetter in the classic
- Only one mare since Ethereal (2011) has won the race with Southern Speed (2011)
- Only has a 17% Win Rate (one of the lowest in the field) but a good 69% Place Rate
- Her only run at the track was in the 2013 Caulfield Cup 24 months ago
Think Royal Descent is a livewire Caulfield Cup chance at excellent odds for an upset on Saturday? Then visit Ladbrokes.com.au now and back her at the right price also enjoying up to $700 in bonus bets on the house as a first time depositing player when you quote the limited time only code SPRINGBONUS!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.