Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
During the autumn as a three-year-old the John O’Shea-trained Hauraki ran second behind Kiwi raider Mongolian Khan in Group 1 company and this weekend the now four-year-old gets the chance to turn the tables on the favourite in the 2015 Caulfield Cup in Melbourne.
A bumper field faces off in Caulfield Race 9 this Saturday when the first of the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival majors – the $3 million Group 1 BMW Caulfield Cup (2400m) – jumps as Race 9 of 10 at Caulfield Racecourse.
Leading the early Caulfield Cup odds at Ladbrokes.com.au, who have exclusive Best Tote or SP + 20% markets for the race running on Saturday, is the Murray Baker-trained ATC Derby winner Mongolian Khan ($4.80) out to become the first favourite since Master O’Reilly (2007) to take out the mile and a half classic.
Second past the post to Saturday’s top fancy back in early April at Randwick in the Group 1 ATC Derby (2400m) over the same distance as the Caulfield Cup was the Godolphin-raced Reset gelding Hauraki.
He is out to do one better in open-age company when returning to the 2400m for the first time in the Caulfield Cup four runs into his four-year-old campaign on the back of a Group 3 Craven Plate (2000m) second in Sydney at the start of the month.
Hauraki is one of only three single figure hopes in Caulfield Cup betting at $9, so can he turn the tables on Mongolian Khan and become the first winner under $10 in four years?
Caulfield Cup Horse Form: #12 Hauraki
Barrier: 14 (into 10 with emergencies out)
Jockey: James McDonald
Trainer: John O’Shea
Breeding: by Reset from Youthful Presence
Last 6: 12×072
Prize Money: $633,660
Current 2015 Caulfield Cup Odds: $9
Why Hauraki Can Win the 2015 Caulfield Cup
- Will jump from a perfect mid-field barrier 10 position if the emergencies come out – a gate that last produced a Caulfield Cup winner in Fawkner (2013)
- Is an excellent light-weight chance carrying only 53kg – a full five kilos less than his weight last start
- Four-year-olds have a decent recent record with five wins in the past 12 years most recently Southern Speed (2011)
- Will run out a strong 2400m having crossed second in the ATC Derby over the distance in the autumn
- The bookies rate the ATC Derby form with the winner dominating Caulfield Cup betting
- Fast finish and right run with cover will be enough to see him finish in the money
Why Hauraki Won’t be the 2015 Caulfield Cup Winner
- 53kg is a weight not carried to victory since Mummify (2003)
- Neither trainer O’Shea or jockey McDonald have previously won a Caulfield Cup
- Looks better for a Place with a Win Rate of 30% and Place Rate of 60%
- No Caulfield Cup winner has come out of the Craven Plate in over 30 years
- Is yet to have a run at the Caulfield track
- The last three Caulfield Cup winners all jumped at double not single figures in betting
Now is the time to back your Caulfield Cup selections online through Ladbrokes.com.au who are rewarding first time depositing players with up to $700 in bonus bets with use of the promo code SPRINGBONUS for a short time only this season!
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.