Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
This weekend the headline race in Sydney is Saturday’s 2015 Spring Champion Stakes for the three-year-olds, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for the Royal Randwick showdown found below.
There are 10 hopefuls in the mix for this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Moet & Chandon Spring Champion Stakes (2000m), the set weights clash due to jump at 4:10pm (AEST) as Randwick Race 6 on the eight-race Sydney Spring Racing Carnival program.
Hot favourite in the latest Spring Champion Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au, who have the best weekend promotions for the racing in Melbourne with Best Tote or SP + 20% across the Caulfield Guineas Day card, is the Chris Waller-trained Vanbrugh who has eased out from an odds-on price to even money at $2.
The Encosta De Lago colt has won his past two on the trot including the Group 3 Gloaming Stakes (1800m) by nearly two lengths, a race that has produced four of the past five Spring Champion Stakes winners.
The next best in Spring Champion Stakes betting are the Brisbane-based market mover Too Good To Refuse ($7 into $4.80) who is also shooting for a hat-trick of wins on the trot and Paul Perry’s Gloaming Stakes runner-up Tatoosh ($9) who comes off three consecutive Group 3 second places behind a trio of Waller-trained winners.
So can Vanbrough become the first Spring Champion Stakes favourite since 2002 to salute for the punters or does the race form guide, betting history and statistics reveal value further down the markets this season?
2015 Spring Champion Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Spring Champion Stakes winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Hampton Court (2014) who came off a win in the Dulcify Quality and jumped from barrier 7 (of 9) with Josh Parr in the saddle
- Waterhouse is without a runner this year but the previous Spring Champion Stakes winning trainers with a chance in 2015 are John Hawkes (17-1-2-2) who trains #8 Jadeer ($16) with sons Michael & Wayne, and Anthony Cummings (12-2-1-0) with #10 Hierarchael ($31)
- Joshua Parr (3-1-1-0) goes for back-to-back wins this year aboard #7 Flying Achilles ($34)
- The only other previous Spring Champion Stakes winning jockey with a ride this season is Corey Brown (11-2-2-1) aboard #2 Tatoosh ($9)
- The past three editions of the Spring Champion Stakes have been won by last start winners and four hopefuls fit that bill this year with: #1 Vanbrugh (Group 3 Gloaming Stakes, 1800m, Rosehill, 26/09/2015), #4 Too Good To Refuse (3YO HCP, 1640m, Doomben, 19/09/2015), #8 Jadeer (BM64, 2040m, Moonee Valley, 25/09/2015) and #10 Hierarchal (BM60, 1600m, Kembla Grange, 29/09/2015)
- #1 Vanbrugh ($2) is looking to become the fifth horse in six years to come out of the Gloaming Stakes and the third to complete the double along with It’s A Dundeel (2012) and Complacent (2013)
- The other Gloaming Stakes graduates in the Group 1 this weekend are #2 Tatoosh (2nd), #5 Man Of Choice (3rd), #6 Gold Ambition (5th) and #3 Devil Hawk (6th)
- The other two Spring Champion Stakes winners in the past five years to come out of the Gloaming Stakes both ran second with Erewhon (2010) and Doctor Doom (2011), which bodes well for #2 Tatoosh this year
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) has produced a total of three Spring Champion Stakes winners (since 1983) and is drawn this year by #7 Flying Achilles
- The most successful Spring Champion Stakes barriers in that time producing five winners each are 2, 4 and 8 drawn this year by #3 Devil Hawk (2), #2 Tatoosh (4) and #10 Hierarchal (8)
- Favourites won three on the trot from 2000 – 2002 but haven’t won since then with the last being Platinum Scissors (2002)
- Since then there has been two 50/1 winners with Teranaba (2006) and Monaco Consul (2009) and the longest price chance this year after the upset is #7 Flying Achilles ($34)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #8 Jadeer (50%) and #10 Hierarchal (50%) followed by #4 Too Good To Refuse (43%)
- The Best Place Rate belongs to #8 Jadeer (75%) and #9 I’m Belucci (75%) followed by #2 Tatoosh (70%)
- The only horse with a previous run over the 2000m is #8 Jadeer (1-1-0-0)
- Those with the best form at the Caulfield track are #1 Vanbrugh (2-1-0-0) and #2 Tatoosh (3-0-1-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our exclusive Spring Champion Stakes 2015 betting tips up shortly.
In the meantime head over to Ladbrokes.com.au and open a new account quoting the code SPRINGBONUS to enjoy up to $700 in bonus bets on the house!
2015 Spring Champion Stakes Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.