Betting for the 2018 Group 1 $700,000 Altus...
The first of the four Group 1 highlights on the Caulfield Guineas Day card this Saturday in Melbourne is the Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes 2015 for the Cox Plate hopes, a detailed form analysis and betting preview for the weight-for-age feature found below.
Jumping at 3:55pm (AEST) as Caulfield Race 6, this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Ladbrokes Caulfield Stakes (2000m) has attracted a small but classy field of just eight hopefuls.
Heading the latest Caulfield Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au, where punters can lock in a generous Best Tote or SP + 20% on every race across the 10 event card, is the Chris Waller-trained Kermadec ($3).
Also favourite for the $3 million Group 1 W.S. Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley on October 24, the Teofilo four-year-old comes off a win in the Group 1 George Main Stakes (1600m) in Sydney from September 19 that was his second Group 1 mile win at Randwick following the Doncaster Mile in the autumn.
He must now bring that same form to his Caulfield debut on Saturday where he also steps up to 2000m for the first time.
The main dangers in Caulfield Stakes betting this year according to the bookmakers are the defending champion Fawkner ($4.80) coming off two good runs this time in and the Gai Waterhouse-trained French import Pornichet ($6) who won the Doomben Cup over this distance in the winter.
Check out our exclusive Caulfield Stakes form guide facts, betting history and statistics below to see whether you should follow the order of the odds or tip the upset this weekend!
2015 Caulfield Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Caulfield Stakes winner was the Robert Hickmott-trained Fawkner (2014) who came off a second in the Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m), jumped from barrier 4 (of 12) and had Nicholas Hall aboard
- This year #2 Fawkner ($4.80) returns to defend his title and become the first dual Caulfield Stakes winner since Lonhro (2002-03)
- He is drawn the same barrier (4), which has produced a total of five Caulfield Stakes winners since 1983, he won from 12 months ago with Craig Williams replacing Hall in the saddle
- The most successful Caulfield Stakes barriers in that time producing 7 and 6 winners respectively are 5 and 6 drawn this year by #6 Entirely Platinum (5) and #3 Happy Trails (6)
- Fawkner went one better in this year’s Makybe Diva Stakes before a last start second in the Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m) that has produced six of the past 10 Caulfield Stakes winners most recently Atlantic Jewel (2nd in 2013)
- Also coming out of an Underwood Stakes run this year are: #8 Mongolian Khan (4th) and #4 Contributer (6th)
- Along with Hickmott (4-1-0-0) the other previous Caulfield Stakes winning trainers with a 2015 runner are Gai Waterhouse (7-2-1-0) with #5 Pornichet ($6) and John Hawkes (7-2-0-0) who trains the outsider in betting #6 Entirely Platinum ($41) with sons Michael and Wayne
- The only previous Caulfield Stakes winning jockey with a ride on Saturday is Glen Boss (10-2-1-2) aboard #7 Kermadec ($3F)
- #7 Kermadec is the race favourite out to become the fifth top fancy to win the Caulfield Stakes since 2009 and the first since Atlantic Jewel (2013)
- Four-year-olds have won four of the past 10 Caulfield Stakes and this year the 4YOs in the mix are #7 Kermadec and #8 Mongolian Khan ($10)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #8 Mongolian Khan (64%) followed by #4 Contributer (50%)
- The best Place Rate belongs to #7 Kermadec (73%) followed by #2 Fawkner (71%) and #4 Contributer (69%)
- The horses with the best record over the distance (2000m) are: #4 Contributer (9-7-2-0), #5 Pornichet (3-2-0-0), #1 Criterion (10-2-3-2), #3 Happy Trails (13-2-2-2) and #2 Fawkner (5-1-2-1)
- At the track (Caulfield) those with the best winning strike rate are: #2 Fawkner (4-2-2-0) and #4 Contributer (2-1-0-0), while #6 Entirely Platinum (4-0-3-0) boasts three seconds from four attempts on the course
Stay tuned for our insider Caulfield Stakes 2015 betting tips to be published shortly.
Before then make sure you take advantage of the Best Tote or SP + 20% on offer across the Caulfield card on Saturday plus enjoy 50% extra on your very first Fixed Odds winner in races 1 – 5 only at Ladbrokes.com.au!
2015 Caulfield Stakes Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.