Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The feature race in Melbourne this weekend at Caulfield Racecourse has the three-year-olds facing off in the Caulfield Guineas 2015, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for the mile classic found below.
Jumping at 5:40pm (AEST) on Saturday afternoon as Race 9 on the 10-event program that Ladbrokes.com.au are offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on all races, this year’s $1 million Group 1 BECK Caulfield Guineas (1600m) features a full field of 16 starters plus an emergency runner.
Leading the latest Caulfield Guineas odds at $2.60 is the Chris Waller-trained Sydney raider Press Statement who goes into the classic without a previous Melbourne run.
Instead Waller gave the Hinchinbrook colt, winner of the Group 1 JJ Atkins (1600m) over this distance in Brisbane as a two-year-old back in June, his final lead-up at Rosehill in the Group 2 Stan Fox Stakes (1500m).
He won that as the odds-on favourite by an easy three lengths and now looks to emulate the Peter & Paul Snowden-trained Shooting To Win (2014) who completed the Stan Fox Stakes – Caulfield Guineas double last Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival.
So can Press Statement get the job done for the punters despite his wide barrier 14 draw?
Or is there value further down the Caulfield Guineas betting markets from the likes of the Mick Price-trained Ready For Victory ($8) or the Kiwi visitor Dal Cielo ($9) who are out to stop Press Statement from becoming the second favourite in three years to win?
2015 Caulfield Guineas Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Caulfield Guineas winner was the Team Snowden-trained Shooting To Win (2014) who came off a win in Sydney’s Stan Fox Stakes, jumped from barrier 8 (of 13) and had James McDonald in the saddle
- Team Snowden are without a runner this year but former Caulfield Guineas winning trainers with a chance in 2015 are: Hawkes’ Racing (1-1-0-0) with #4 Rageese ($41), David Hayes (17-2-0-2) who trains #8 Sovereign Nation ($17) and #16 More Than Most ($151) in partnership with nephew Tom Dabernig, Peter Moody (8-1-0-1) with #9 Bassett ($13), and Leon Corstens (6-2-0-0) who has the emergency #17e Mr Individual ($31) with Troy Corstens
- This year’s Stan Fox Stakes winner #1 Press Statement ($2.60) is out to emulate Shooting To Win and complete the double in the Caulfield Guineas
- Other recent Stan Fox Stakes – Caulfield Guineas double winners include Econsul (2004) and Lonhro (2001)
- Also coming out of the Stan Fox lead-up is #4 Rageese (3rd)
- #1 Press Statement ($2.60F) is the Caulfield Guineas favourite looking to join recent top fancies to salute for the punters: Long John (2013), Helmet (2011), Whobegotyou (2008) and Weekend Hussler (2007)
- The other last start winners along with #1 Press Statement (Group 2 Stan Fox Stakes, 1500m, Rosehill, 26/09/2015) are #6 Bon Aurum (Group 3 Caulfield Guineas Prelude, Caulfield, 26/09/2015), #8 Sovereign Nation (Group 2 Stutt Stakes, 1600m, Moonee Valley, 02/10/2015), #9 Bassett (3YO-SWP, 1100m, Caulfield, 19/09/2015), #11 Lizard Island (MDN-SW, 1600m, Pakenham, 23/09/2015)and #13 Tarzino (3YO HCP, 1600m, Caulfield, 19/09/2015)
- #6 Bon Aurum ($14) is out to become the fifth Caulfield Guineas winner to come out of the Prelude since 2009 and the first since Long John (3rd in 2013); the last to complete the double was Helmet (2011)
- Past Caulfield Guineas winning jockeys with a runner this weekend are: Kerrin McEvoy (9-2-0-3) aboard #6 Bon Aurum, Glen Boss (10-1-0-2) aboard #3 Ready For Victory and Dwayne Dunn (8-1-1-1) on #14 Snoopy
- Last year’s winning barrier (8) has produced a total of four Caulfield Guineas winners (since 1983) and belongs this year to #5 Dal Cielo ($9)
- Barrier 1 has produced more Caulfield Guineas winners in that time than any other gate with 7 victories most recently Long John (2013)
- This year #8 Sovereign Nation has the inside alley
- The 3YOs in the field with the equal highest Win Rate (67%) are: #1 Press Statement, #8 Sovereign Nation, #9 Bassett and #13 Tarzino
- Previous winners over the distance (1600m) are: #1 Press Statement (1-1-0-0), #8 Sovereign Nation (1-1-0-0), #11 Lizard Island (1-1-0-0) and #13 Tarzino (1-1-0-0)
- Horses with previous winning form at the track (Caulfield) are: #9 Bassett (2-2-0-0), #6 Bon Aurum (1-1-0-0) and #13 Tarzino (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Caulfield Guineas 2015 tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime check out the full form guide below then head to Ladbrokes.com.au to enjoy Best Tote or SP + 20% on EVERY Caulfield Guineas Day race plus an extra 50% on your very first Fixed Odds Winner in races 1 – 5 on the card!
2015 Caulfield Guineas Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.