This Saturday the Group 1s of the Sydney Spring Racing Carnival continue at Royal Randwick with the George Main Stakes 2015 for the milers, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which can be found below.
There are 10 in the mix for Randwick Race 6 at 3:45pm (AEST), favourite for this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Colgate Optic White George Main Stakes (1600m) through Ladbrokes.com.au being Chris Waller’s market mover Kermadec.
Well supported early in from $3 to $2.70, the Doncaster Mile winning Teofilo stallion jumps from barrier five with Glyn Schofield taking over for the suspended Glen Boss in the saddle.
Four-year-old Kermadec has an ace record over the Randwick mile (3-1-2-0) including his Doncaster success in the autumn and comes off a last start second in the Group 2 Chelmsford Stakes (1600m) that produced last year’s George Main Stakes winner Sacred Falls for the Waller stable.
The next best in betting are the fellow Waller-trained Group 1 champ Royal Descent ($4.40) who Hugh Bowman rides from gate seven on the back of a third in the Chelmsford and the Gai Waterhouse-trained Doomben Cup winner Pornichet ($7).
That’s the story told by the bookies but what about the George Main Stakes form guide, betting history and stats?
2015 George Main Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s George Main Stakes winner was the Chris Waller-trained Sacred Falls (2014) who came off a Chelmsford Stakes fourth, jumped from barrier one (of 10) with Zac Purton in the saddle as saluted for the punters as the 3/1 favourite
- Waller also won the 2013 George Main with Shoot Out (2013) giving him two wins over the past three years
- This year Waller returns with three chances: #4 Moriarty ($81), #5 Kermadec ($2.70F) and #8 Royal Descent ($4.40)
- Along with Waller (13-2-3-1) other former George Main winning trainers with a 2015 runner are: Gai Waterhouse (23-4-3-4) with #2 Pornichet ($7), and John O’Shea (4-1-0-0) with #6 Sweynesse ($13) and #7 Hauraki ($26)
- Last year’s winning barrier (10) belongs this year to #7 Hauraki – the gate producing two winners since 1983
- The most successful George Main Stakes barrier in that time with six winners is gate four drawn this year by #6 Sweynesse
- The next best gates with five and four wins respectively are nine and five belonging on Saturday to #Pornichet (9) and #5 Kermadec (5)
- George Main hopes coming off the Chelmsford Stakes this season are the Waller trio of Kermadec (2nd), Royal Descent (3rd) and Moriarty (14th)
- Favourites have an outstanding recent record in the race with four of the past five saluting and six in the past 10 years including Sacred Falls (3/1 in 2014) last year
- This year the punters’ pick is #5 Kermadec ($2.70)
- Jockeys with a 2015 ride in the George Main who have won the race before are: Blake Shinn (4-1-0-0) aboard #2 Pornichet, Glyn Schofield (5-1-1-0) on #5 Kermadec and Hugh Bowman (7-1-0-1) on #8 Royal Descent
- The only last start winner in the field this year is #3 Hooked (Group 2 Tramway Stakes, 1400m, Randwick, 05/09/2015)
- The Tramway Stakes has two George Main winners since 2009 most recently Sincero (2011) who completed the double
- The horse with the highest Win Rate of the field is #2 Pornichet (39%) followed closely by #7 Hauraki (38%) and #6 Sweynesse (36%)
- The best Place Rate belongs to #4 Kermadec (70%) followed by #8 Royal Descent (67%) and #7 Hauraki (64%)
- Over the distance (1600m) those with the best winning form are: #4 Moriarty (10-3-1-1), #5 Kermadec (5-2-2-0), #2 Pornichet (5-2-0-1), #6 Sweynesse (3-1-1-0) and #1 Protectionist (1-1-0-0)
- #8 Royal Descent may not have won at the mile but from eight starts she boasts six seconds and two thirds that deserve a special mention
- At the track (Randwick) the best winning records belong to: #4 Moriarty (14-3-0-2), #8 Royal Descent (15-3-6-4), #5 Kermadec (4-1-2-0) and #7 Hauraki (3-1-1-0)
- Over the Track & Distance those to beat statistically are: #5 Kermadec (3-1-2-0), #4 Moriarty (5-1-0-0) and #8 Royal Descent (7-0-5-2)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider George Main Stakes 2015 tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime head over to Ladbrokes.com.au and open an account with the bookie offering an unbeatable Bonus Bet if your horse in the Sydney Group 1 on Saturday runs second, third or even fourth!