Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
An diminutive but classy line-up of three-year-olds faces off in the 2015 Golden Rose Stakes at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which is found below.
There are only nine in the mix for this year’s $1 million Group 1 De Bortoli Wines Golden Rose Stakes (1400m), the favourite of which through Ladbrokes.com.au is the John O’Shea-trained Run To The Rose winner Exosphere.
Godolphin’s galloper has a gun barrier two draw with James McDonald in the saddle and pays $3 in the latest Golden Rose Stakes odds.
Hot on his heels is then Chris Waller’s Group 1 winner over the mile Press Statement ($3.50) who is tipped to improve on his Run To The Rose second first-up over the extra metres this weekend.
They are joined on single figures by the only filly in this year’s edition of the classic, the Gai Waterhouse-trained Speak Fondly coming off back-to-back Group 2 wins against the girls.
She takes on the boys here and despite the poor record of fillies in the Golden Rose, the money is coming for her and Hong Kong-based hoop Brett Prebble with Speak Fondly firming in from $5.50 to $4.60 for the win.
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about the Golden Rose Stakes form guide, history and betting stats?
2015 Golden Rose Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Golden Rose winner was the Cummings-trained Hallowed Crown (2014) who came off a win in the Run To The Rose, jumped from barrier 14 of 15 and had Hugh Bowman aboard
- This year’s Run To The Rose winner shooting for the same double is #2 Exosphere ($3)
- The next best over the line in the Run To The Rose backing up in Saturday’s Group 1 are #1 Press Statement (2nd) and stablemate to the favourite #8 Holler (3rd)
- Favourites have only won 2 of the past 10 editions of the Golden Rose when Duporth (2008) and Denman (2009) went back-to-back for the punters
- This year’s top fancy looking to be the next is #2 Exosphere
- Former Golden Rose winning trainers with a runner this weekend are: Chris Waller (5-1-0-1) with #1 Press Statement ($3.50) and John Hawkes (9-1-2-1) who prepares #4 Rageese ($18) in partnership with his sons Michael and Wayne
- Jockeys with a ride this year who have had previous success in the Golden Rose are: Tommy Berry (3-1-0-0) on #3 Gold Symphony ($21) and Jim Cassidy (16-1-13) on #6 Sebring Sun ($15)
- There are five last start winners in the mix with: #2 Exosphere (Group 2 Run To The Rose, 1200m, Rosehill, 29/08/2015), #3 Gold Symphony (Group 3 HDF McNeil Stakes, 1200m, Caulfield, 29/08/2015), #4 Rageese (CGE MDN-SW, 1350m, Wyong, 30/08/2015), #5 Shards (Group 3 Up & Coming Stakes, 1300m, Randwick, 22/08/2015) and #9 Speak Fondly (Group 2 Furious Stakes, 1200m, Randwick, 05/09/2015)
- #9 Speak Fondly ($4.60) is the only filly in the race this year and the last Golden Slipper winning filly was Forensics (2008) and before her Dandify (2000)
- #1 Press Statement (75%) and #3 Gold Symphony (75%) boast the equal highest Win Rate with three wins from four starts to date
- There are four horses with a perfect 100% Place Rate with: #1 Press Statement, #3 Gold Symphony, #5 Shards and #8 Holler
- Horses with winning form over the distance (1400m) are: #1 Press Statement (1-1-0-0), #4 Rageese (2-1-1-0) and #5 Shards (2-1-1-0)
- At the track (Rosehill) those with the best form are: #1 Press Statement (2-1-1-0), #2 Exosphere (3-1-0-0), #5 Shards (2-1-1-0) and #9 Speak Fondly (2-1-0-0)
- The most successful Golden Rose barriers (since 1983) with four wins each are 1 and 2 drawn this year by #3 Gold Symphony and #2 Exosphere respectively
See below for the full Golden Rose Stakes 2015 form guide then head to Ladbrokes.com.au who are offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on all even races in Sydney on Saturday including the Group 1!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.