An diminutive but classy line-up of three-year-olds faces off in the 2015 Golden Rose Stakes at Rosehill Gardens on Saturday, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which is found below.
There are only nine in the mix for this year’s $1 million Group 1 De Bortoli Wines Golden Rose Stakes (1400m), the favourite of which through Ladbrokes.com.au is the John O’Shea-trained Run To The Rose winner Exosphere.
Godolphin’s galloper has a gun barrier two draw with James McDonald in the saddle and pays $3 in the latest Golden Rose Stakes odds.
Hot on his heels is then Chris Waller’s Group 1 winner over the mile Press Statement ($3.50) who is tipped to improve on his Run To The Rose second first-up over the extra metres this weekend.
They are joined on single figures by the only filly in this year’s edition of the classic, the Gai Waterhouse-trained Speak Fondly coming off back-to-back Group 2 wins against the girls.
She takes on the boys here and despite the poor record of fillies in the Golden Rose, the money is coming for her and Hong Kong-based hoop Brett Prebble with Speak Fondly firming in from $5.50 to $4.60 for the win.
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about the Golden Rose Stakes form guide, history and betting stats?
2015 Golden Rose Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Golden Rose winner was the Cummings-trained Hallowed Crown (2014) who came off a win in the Run To The Rose, jumped from barrier 14 of 15 and had Hugh Bowman aboard
- This year’s Run To The Rose winner shooting for the same double is #2 Exosphere ($3)
- The next best over the line in the Run To The Rose backing up in Saturday’s Group 1 are #1 Press Statement (2nd) and stablemate to the favourite #8 Holler (3rd)
- Favourites have only won 2 of the past 10 editions of the Golden Rose when Duporth (2008) and Denman (2009) went back-to-back for the punters
- This year’s top fancy looking to be the next is #2 Exosphere
- Former Golden Rose winning trainers with a runner this weekend are: Chris Waller (5-1-0-1) with #1 Press Statement ($3.50) and John Hawkes (9-1-2-1) who prepares #4 Rageese ($18) in partnership with his sons Michael and Wayne
- Jockeys with a ride this year who have had previous success in the Golden Rose are: Tommy Berry (3-1-0-0) on #3 Gold Symphony ($21) and Jim Cassidy (16-1-13) on #6 Sebring Sun ($15)
- There are five last start winners in the mix with: #2 Exosphere (Group 2 Run To The Rose, 1200m, Rosehill, 29/08/2015), #3 Gold Symphony (Group 3 HDF McNeil Stakes, 1200m, Caulfield, 29/08/2015), #4 Rageese (CGE MDN-SW, 1350m, Wyong, 30/08/2015), #5 Shards (Group 3 Up & Coming Stakes, 1300m, Randwick, 22/08/2015) and #9 Speak Fondly (Group 2 Furious Stakes, 1200m, Randwick, 05/09/2015)
- #9 Speak Fondly ($4.60) is the only filly in the race this year and the last Golden Slipper winning filly was Forensics (2008) and before her Dandify (2000)
- #1 Press Statement (75%) and #3 Gold Symphony (75%) boast the equal highest Win Rate with three wins from four starts to date
- There are four horses with a perfect 100% Place Rate with: #1 Press Statement, #3 Gold Symphony, #5 Shards and #8 Holler
- Horses with winning form over the distance (1400m) are: #1 Press Statement (1-1-0-0), #4 Rageese (2-1-1-0) and #5 Shards (2-1-1-0)
- At the track (Rosehill) those with the best form are: #1 Press Statement (2-1-1-0), #2 Exosphere (3-1-0-0), #5 Shards (2-1-1-0) and #9 Speak Fondly (2-1-0-0)
- The most successful Golden Rose barriers (since 1983) with four wins each are 1 and 2 drawn this year by #3 Gold Symphony and #2 Exosphere respectively
See below for the full Golden Rose Stakes 2015 form guide then head to Ladbrokes.com.au who are offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on all even races in Sydney on Saturday including the Group 1!