The major race in Melbourne this weekend at Flemington Racecourse is the weight-for-age Makybe Diva Stakes 2015 run over the mile, a form guide analysis and betting preview for the classic found below.
There is a capacity field of 16 plus an emergency engaged for Saturday’s $400,000 Group 1 Makybe Diva Stakes (1600m), which runs as Flemington Race 7 at 4:05pm (AEST) on the bumper nine-race program.
The latest Makybe Diva Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au, who are offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on all the odd races at Flemington on Saturday including the Group 1, are led by the Chris Waller-trained Boban.
Drawn ideally in barrier four, which last produced a Makybe Diva Stakes winner with Weekend Hussler (2008), the five time Group 1 winning Bernardini gelding comes off a first-up win in the Memsie Stakes over 1400m at Caulfield.
He’s up over 1600m and has won three of his previous seven mile starts and has Glyn Schofield staying on this Saturday as the six-year-old vies for a sixth elite level.
Boban is at a current quote of $4.40 to win and is followed in Makybe Diva Stakes betting by two other hopes at single figures with market mover Fawkner ($6) who hasn’t raced since a 10th in last year’s Melbourne Cup and the Tony McEvoy-trained Australian Guineas runner-up Alpine Eagle ($7) the next best fancied.
So will the favourite take it out like Dissident (2014) did last Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival or will the Makybe Diva Stakes form guide, betting history and stats reveal some value in the markets.
2015 Makybe Diva Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Makybe Diva Stakes winner was the Peter Moody-trained Dissident who jumped the favourite from barrier six (of 10) with Ben Melham in the saddle on the back of a Memsie Stakes win
- The Memsie Stakes – Makybe Diva Stakes double was also achieved by Weekend Hussler (2008)
- This year’s Memsie Stakes winner shooting for the same double is #3 Boban ($4.40) drawn in gate four with Schofield in the saddle
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) belongs this spring to the first emergency #17e Awesome Rock ($26) but will go to #10 Mongolian Khan (7) should the spare not gain a start
- The most successful Makybe Diva Stakes barriers since (1983) are 1 (5 winners), 6 (4 winners) and 8 (4 winners)
- The inside barrier belongs this year to #15 Rising Romance ($11)
- Moody will shoot for back-to-back Makybe Diva wins represented this spring by #13 Hi World ($11) drawn the outside alley with Kerrin McEvoy in the saddle
- Other past Makybe Diva Stakes winning trainers with a 2015 runner are: Chris Waller (3-1-0-0) with #3 Boban and #6 Weary ($10), Mark Kavanagh (5-1-0-0) with #12 Magicool ($31) and David Hayes (21-3-0-0) who prepares former New Zealand-trained #15 Rising Romance ($11) in partnership with Tom Dabernig
- Former Makybe Diva Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Damien Oliver (19-3-1-2) shooting for his fourth aboard #2 Fawkner ($6), Craig Williams (11-3-0-1) who has also ridden three previous winners on #11 Volkstok’n’barrell ($11), Ben Melham (3-1-0-0) on #4 Dandino ($101) and Craig Newitt (7-2-0-1) on #6 Weary ($10)
- There are two last start winners in the mix with #3 Boban (Group 1 Memsie Stakes, 1400m, Caulfield, 29/08/2015) and #10 Mongolian Khan (Group 1 ATC Derby, 2400m, Randwick, 06/04/2015)
- The horse boasting the best Win Rate of the field is #10 Mongolian Khan (78%) followed by: #14 Alpine Eagle (57%), #11 Volkstok’n’barrell (55%), #13 Hi World (50%), #16 Gust Of Wind (50%) and #8 Our Ivanhowe (45%)
- The highest Place Rate belongs to #14 Alpine Eagle (100%) who is yet to finish out of the money followed by #11 Volkstok’n’barrell (91%), #10 Mongolian Khan (78%) and #13 Hi World (75%)
- Over the distance (1600m) horses with the best winning form are: #1 Fawkner (8-4-3-0), #3 Boban (7-3-0-0), #2 Happy Trails (13-3-0-2), #13 Hi World (3-2-0-0), #7 Prince Of Penzance (2-2-0-0), #11 Volkstok’n’barrell (2-2-0-0), #14 Alpine Eagle (2-1-1-0), #10 Mongolian Khan (1-1-0-0) and #16 Gust Of Wind (1-1-0-0)
- At the track (Rosehill) those with the best record are: #1 Fawkner (12-5-3-1), #2 Happy Trails (9-3-0-2), #5 Smokin’ Joey (17-2-1-1) and #12 Magicool (3-2-0-0)
- The three previous winners over the Track & Distance are then: #1 Fawkner (4-1-3-0) and #2 Happy Trails (2-1-0-0) and #3 Boban (2-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Makybe Diva Stakes 2015 betting tips to be published shortly.
Already have your own selections and want to back them at the hottest odds? Then visit Ladbrokes.com.au where your first deposit will also be matched by the house dollar for dollar up to $500 as a bonus bet when you quote the code SPRINGBONUS!