Recently inducted Hall Of Fame trainer Chris...
The major race for juveniles during the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival is the JJ Atkins 2015 running as part of the Stradbroke Handicap Day line-up on Saturday, a form guide and betting preview for the Doomben classic found below.
There are three Group 1s running in Brisbane this weekend, Ladbrokes.com.au offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on all three, including the $600,000 Group 1 BMW J.J. Atkins (1600m), which is due to jump as Doomben Race 6 at 2:17pm (AEST).
A final field of 12 two-year-olds is in the JJ Atkins mix this year with the race favourite at $4.60 being Chris Waller’s undefeated Press Statement, the Hinchinbrook colt coming off back-to-back Sydney wins.
It’s a wide open JJ Atkins betting markets with four other single figure fancies for the win including Liam Birchley’s Group 2 winning filly Blueberry Hill ($5) who is yet to finish out of the top two in her five runs to date and the promising Peter Moody-trained Savabeel gelding Bassett ($6) coming off a win on debut at Caulfield from May 16.
So will the top three also run the JJ Atkins trifecta or is there value to be found having a look at the form guide, history and betting stats on the classic?
2015 JJ Atkins Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s JJ Atkins winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained Almalad who came off a non black-type Sydney run and jumped from barrier 9 (of 11) with Tommy Berry in the saddle
- Waterhouse also won in 2013 with Romantic Touch but is without a runner this winter
- The only previous JJ Atkins winning trainer with a starter on Saturday is Chris Waller (6-1-3-1) with #1 Counterattack ($7), #2 Press Statement ($4.40) and #5 Feast For Eyes ($11); Waller won the race with Pressday (2010)
- The only former JJ Atkins winning jockey with a chance this year is Larry Cassidy (11-1-1-2) on #8 Blueberry Hill ($5); Cassidy won aboard Ravarda (1995) 20 years ago
- There are five last start winners in the JJ Atkins line-up this year with #2 Press Statement (2YO SWP, 1350m, Rosehill, 30/05/2015), #3 Bassett (2YO SP, 1100m, Caulfield, 16/05/2015), #5 Feast For Eyes (2YO HCP, 1550m, Canterbury, 27/05/2015), #9 Look To The Stars (Group 2 BRC Sires’ Produce Stakes, 1350m, Doomben, 23/05/2015), #11 Sagaronne (Listed The Phoenix, 1350m, Doomben, 30/05/2015) and #12 Ashlee Marie (2YO HCP, 1400m, Randwick, 20/05/2015)
- Last year’s winning barrier (9) belongs this weekend to #10 Typing ($21) and has produced three JJ Atkins winners (since 1983)
- The most successful JJ Atkins barrier in that time with four winners is six, which early market mover #12 Ashlee Marie ($34 into $19) will jump from this winter
- Favourites have won four of the past 10 JJ Atkins most recently with Romantic Touch (2013); this year’s favourite looking to be the next is #2 Press Statement ($4.40)
- There are three undefeated youngsters boasting the equal highest Win Rate of 100% in the field with #2 Press Statement, #3 Bassett and #12 Ashlee Marie
- Previous winners at the Doomben track are #8 Blueberry Hill (3-2-1-0), #7 Pepperano (3-1-0-1), #9 Look To The Stars (2-1-0-0) and #11 Sagaronne (1-1-0-0)
- #5 Feast For Eyes (1-1-0-0) is the only runner with a previous start over the distance (1600m)
We will publish our exclusive JJ Atkins 2015 betting tips shortly so stay tuned.
Before then make sure you’re ready to lock in the hottest odds on the weekend by signing up with Ladbrokes.com.au who will also match your first deposit 100% up to $500 when you quote the code BETBONUS for a limited time only!
2015 JJ Atkins Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.