A capacity field of sixteen fillies will line up...
The big one in Adelaide at Morphettville Racecourse this Saturday is the 2015 The Goodwood for the sprinters, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which is found below.
A bumper final field of 17 hopefuls is set to face off in this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Darley Goodwood (1200m), which is due to jump as Morphettville Race 7 at 3:48pm (SA time).
Heading The Goodwood field and odds at Ladbrokes.com.au paying $4.60, out from $4, is the super-consistent Phillip Stokes-trained Hucklebuck.
A four-year-old son of Elvstorem, Hucklebuck won three straight last time in including his impressive Group 1 Emirates Stakes (1600m) victory over the Flemington mile on November 8.
This will be his first start since that spring triumph but with a gun first-up record (4-3-0-0) and unbeaten status at the track and distance (2-2-0-0) to defend, the bookmakers taking no chances with the locally-trained Group 1 winner.
There are three other single figure hopes in The Goodwood betting markets including the firming Black Heart Bart ($5.50 into $4.80) who is first-up here after winning four on the trot in WA last campaign.
Rounding out the single figure fancies are then the Darren Weir-trained William Reid Stakes winner Lucky Hussler ($6.50) in barrier 11 with Glen Boss riding and Robert Smerdon’s consistent black-type performer Under The Louvre ($9).
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about The Goodwood 2015 form, betting history and facts?
2015 The Goodwood Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s The Goodwood winner was the Wez Hunter-trained Smokin’ Joey who came off a sixth in the Group 3 Victoria Handicap at Caulfield, jumped from barrier 11 (of 19) with Ben Melham riding the 40/1 outsider
- This year Hunter is back with #3 Smokin’ Joey ($21) defending his title having run fourth in the Group 2 Blamey Stakes (1600m) last time out in mid-March looking to become the first back-to-back winner of the race in history
- This year Chris Parnham has the ride and the defending champ is drawn in barrier eight, which is the most successful The Goodwood barrier with 5 winners (since 1983)
- The next best barrier with four winners in that time is seven, which this year belongs to #9 Black Heart Bart ($4.80)
- Last year’s winning gate (11) meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #2 Lucky Hussler ($6.50)
- Along with Hunter (1-1-0-0) the other former The Goodwood winning trainers with a runner this weekend are: Robert Smerdon (6-2-0-0) with #10 Under The Louvre and #13 Politeness, Darren Weir (5-1-1-1) with #2 Lucky Hussler, Peter Moody (9-1-0-0) with #4 Flamberge and #5 Thermal Current, and John Sadler (5-1-1-0) with #16 Vain Queen
- Last year’s winning hoop Melham is back for another shot this year riding #5 Thermal Current ($19)
- Along with Melham (3-2-0-0) the only other former The Goodwood winning jockey with a ride on Saturday is Clare Lindop (5-1-0-0) aboard #8 Daytona Grey
- The female gallopers have a strong recent record having won four of the past five editions of The Goodwood with: Velocitea (2010), Lone Rock (2011), Black Caviar (2012) and Platelet (2013)
- This year the there are three mares taking on the boys with #12 Gregers ($15), #13 Politeness ($19) and #16 Vain Queen ($12)
- Favourites have won just twice in the past 10 years most recently with Black Caviar (1/20 in 2012); this year the favourite out to break the hoodoo is #1 Hucklebuck ($4.60)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #1 Hucklebuck (62%) followed by #16 Vain Queen (47%), #15 Yesterday’s Songs (43%) and #10 Under The Louvre (42%)
- The best Place Rate meanwhile belongs to #15 Yesterday’s Songs (86%) followed by #10 Under The Louvre (79%), #9 Black Heart Bart (78%) and #1 Hucklebuck (77%)
- Three horses in the field won their latest start with #1 Hucklebuck (Group 1 Emirates Stakes, 1600m, Flemington, 08/11/2014), #5 Thermal Current (Group 3 DC McKay Stakes, 1100m, Morphettville, 02/05/2015) and #9 Black Heart Bart (Listed Bunbury Stakes, 1400m, Bunbury, 08/03/2015)
- Over the distance (1200m) horses with the best record are: #7 Riziz (16-8-1-1), #10 Under The Louvre (10-6-0-3), #8 Daytona Grey (12-4-1-0), #14 Light It Up (12-4-4-2), #1 Hucklebuck (4-3-0-1), #2 Lucky Hussler (8-4-1-1), #4 Flamberge (10-3-1-1), #9 Black Heart Bart (3-2-1-0) and #13 Politeness (5-2-0-1)
- At the Morphettville track horses with the best winning form are: #7 Riziz (18-6-2-3), #14 Light It Up (14-4-6-1), #8 Daytona Grey (17-2-1-2), #1 Hucklebuck (2-2-0-0), #3 Smokin’ Joey (1-1-0-0) and #5 Thermal Current (2-1-1-0)
- Previous winners over the track and distance are then: #7 Riziz (11-5-1-1), #14 Light It Up (9-4-4-0), #1 Hucklebuck (2-2-0-0) and #3 Smokin’ Joey (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider The Goodwood betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime get behind your early selections online at Ladbrokes.com.au who are offering a bonus bet if your first fixed odds win bet in the race runs second or third on Saturday!
2015 The Goodwood Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.