The big one in Adelaide at Morphettville Racecourse this Saturday is the 2015 The Goodwood for the sprinters, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for which is found below.
A bumper final field of 17 hopefuls is set to face off in this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Darley Goodwood (1200m), which is due to jump as Morphettville Race 7 at 3:48pm (SA time).
Heading The Goodwood field and odds at Ladbrokes.com.au paying $4.60, out from $4, is the super-consistent Phillip Stokes-trained Hucklebuck.
A four-year-old son of Elvstorem, Hucklebuck won three straight last time in including his impressive Group 1 Emirates Stakes (1600m) victory over the Flemington mile on November 8.
This will be his first start since that spring triumph but with a gun first-up record (4-3-0-0) and unbeaten status at the track and distance (2-2-0-0) to defend, the bookmakers taking no chances with the locally-trained Group 1 winner.
There are three other single figure hopes in The Goodwood betting markets including the firming Black Heart Bart ($5.50 into $4.80) who is first-up here after winning four on the trot in WA last campaign.
Rounding out the single figure fancies are then the Darren Weir-trained William Reid Stakes winner Lucky Hussler ($6.50) in barrier 11 with Glen Boss riding and Robert Smerdon’s consistent black-type performer Under The Louvre ($9).
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about The Goodwood 2015 form, betting history and facts?
2015 The Goodwood Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s The Goodwood winner was the Wez Hunter-trained Smokin’ Joey who came off a sixth in the Group 3 Victoria Handicap at Caulfield, jumped from barrier 11 (of 19) with Ben Melham riding the 40/1 outsider
- This year Hunter is back with #3 Smokin’ Joey ($21) defending his title having run fourth in the Group 2 Blamey Stakes (1600m) last time out in mid-March looking to become the first back-to-back winner of the race in history
- This year Chris Parnham has the ride and the defending champ is drawn in barrier eight, which is the most successful The Goodwood barrier with 5 winners (since 1983)
- The next best barrier with four winners in that time is seven, which this year belongs to #9 Black Heart Bart ($4.80)
- Last year’s winning gate (11) meanwhile belongs on Saturday to #2 Lucky Hussler ($6.50)
- Along with Hunter (1-1-0-0) the other former The Goodwood winning trainers with a runner this weekend are: Robert Smerdon (6-2-0-0) with #10 Under The Louvre and #13 Politeness, Darren Weir (5-1-1-1) with #2 Lucky Hussler, Peter Moody (9-1-0-0) with #4 Flamberge and #5 Thermal Current, and John Sadler (5-1-1-0) with #16 Vain Queen
- Last year’s winning hoop Melham is back for another shot this year riding #5 Thermal Current ($19)
- Along with Melham (3-2-0-0) the only other former The Goodwood winning jockey with a ride on Saturday is Clare Lindop (5-1-0-0) aboard #8 Daytona Grey
- The female gallopers have a strong recent record having won four of the past five editions of The Goodwood with: Velocitea (2010), Lone Rock (2011), Black Caviar (2012) and Platelet (2013)
- This year the there are three mares taking on the boys with #12 Gregers ($15), #13 Politeness ($19) and #16 Vain Queen ($12)
- Favourites have won just twice in the past 10 years most recently with Black Caviar (1/20 in 2012); this year the favourite out to break the hoodoo is #1 Hucklebuck ($4.60)
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #1 Hucklebuck (62%) followed by #16 Vain Queen (47%), #15 Yesterday’s Songs (43%) and #10 Under The Louvre (42%)
- The best Place Rate meanwhile belongs to #15 Yesterday’s Songs (86%) followed by #10 Under The Louvre (79%), #9 Black Heart Bart (78%) and #1 Hucklebuck (77%)
- Three horses in the field won their latest start with #1 Hucklebuck (Group 1 Emirates Stakes, 1600m, Flemington, 08/11/2014), #5 Thermal Current (Group 3 DC McKay Stakes, 1100m, Morphettville, 02/05/2015) and #9 Black Heart Bart (Listed Bunbury Stakes, 1400m, Bunbury, 08/03/2015)
- Over the distance (1200m) horses with the best record are: #7 Riziz (16-8-1-1), #10 Under The Louvre (10-6-0-3), #8 Daytona Grey (12-4-1-0), #14 Light It Up (12-4-4-2), #1 Hucklebuck (4-3-0-1), #2 Lucky Hussler (8-4-1-1), #4 Flamberge (10-3-1-1), #9 Black Heart Bart (3-2-1-0) and #13 Politeness (5-2-0-1)
- At the Morphettville track horses with the best winning form are: #7 Riziz (18-6-2-3), #14 Light It Up (14-4-6-1), #8 Daytona Grey (17-2-1-2), #1 Hucklebuck (2-2-0-0), #3 Smokin’ Joey (1-1-0-0) and #5 Thermal Current (2-1-1-0)
- Previous winners over the track and distance are then: #7 Riziz (11-5-1-1), #14 Light It Up (9-4-4-0), #1 Hucklebuck (2-2-0-0) and #3 Smokin’ Joey (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider The Goodwood betting tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime get behind your early selections online at Ladbrokes.com.au who are offering a bonus bet if your first fixed odds win bet in the race runs second or third on Saturday!