This Saturday there are two Group 1 feature races running in Brisbane including the 2015 Doomben Cup, a detailed form guide and betting preview for which can be found below.
Set to run as Doomben Race 7 at 3:27pm (AEST), this year’s $650,000 Group 1 The Bundaberg Rum Doomben Cup (2000m) field features 15 weight-for-age hopefuls including the clear $4.20 favourite Pornichet.
Gai Waterhouse saddles-up the four-year-old French import who is at a firming price through Ladbrokes.com.au to win on successive Saturdays after he lumped 60.5kg to victory in the Toowoomba Cup last weekend.
Second pick in the Doomben Cup odds at $5, also firming in from $5.50, is Leebaz who finished runner-up to Streama in this race last Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival.
Since then the Team Hawkes-trained son of Zabeel has been on the improve and in top form including his win in the Group 2 A.D. Hollindale Stakes (1800m) at the Gold Coast a fortnight ago, a race Pornichet was balloted out of.
Other single figure fancies include the Chris Waller-trained rising 10-year-old I’m Imposing ($8) on the drift out form $6.50, four-time Group 1 winning New Zealand mare Silent Achiever ($9.50 into $8.50) and market mover Gypsy Diamond ($11 into $9) who beat Leebaz home two back in the Group 3 JRA Cup in Sydney.
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about the Doomben Cup form guide, history and statistics?
2015 Doomben Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doomben Cup winner was the Guy Walter-trained mare Streama who came off a win in the Hollindale Stakes, jumped from barrier 8 (of 10) and was ridden by Blake Shinn
- This year the mares looking to go back-to-back for the females are #13 Silent Achiever, #14 Gypsy Diamond and #15 Epingle
- Blake Shinn returns and shoots for his second Doomben Cup on the trot aboard the race favourite #10 Pornichet
- Along with Shinn (2-1-0-0) the other former Doomben Cup winning jockeys with a ride this weekend are Hugh Bowman (3-1-1-1) aboard #3 Moriarty and Kerrin McEvoy (2-1-0-0) on #13 Silent Achiever
- Former Doomben Cup winning trainers with a 2015 runner are Chris Waller (11-2-2-2) with five runners this year in #2 Foreteller, #3 Moriarty, #4 Hawkspur, #6 Weary and #8 I’m Imposing, and Gai Waterhouse (13-1-2-1) with #10 Pornichet
- Last year’s winning barrier (eight) has produced just the one winner (since 1983) and belongs this year to #6 Weary
- The most successful Doomben Cup barriers in that time with four wins each are two and 11 belonging this year to #4 Hawkspur and #7 Leebaz respectively
- Along with Streama (2014) the Hollindale Stakes has produced another five Doomben Cup winners in the past 10 years
- This year #7 Leebaz is out to complete the same double and the other Hollindale graduates backing up on Saturday are I’m Imposing (3rd), Foreteller (4th), Green Moon (6th), Silent Achiever (8th), Moriarty (10th), Escado (12th) and Hawkspur (13th)
- Along with #7 Leebaz (Group 2 AD Hollindale Stakes, 1800m, Gold Coast, 25/04/2015) the other last start winners are #5 Banca Mo (Listed Mornington Cup, 2400m, Mornington, 28/03/2015), #10 Pornichet (Toowoomba Cup, 2150m, Toowoomba, 02/05/2015) and #15 Epingle (Group 3 Chairman’s Handicap, 2200m, Gold Coast, 25/04/2015)
- Favourites have won three of the past 10 Doomben Cups most recently Streama (13/4EF) last year
- This year’s favourite is #10 Pornichet ($4.20)
- The most successful age group in the past decade is five-year-olds with four wins; the 5YOs in this year’s field are: #4 Hawkspur, #6 Weary, #7 Leebaz, #9 Escado and #12 Addictive Habit
- The highest Win Rate in the field belongs to #7 Leebaz (41%) followed by #10 Pornichet (40%) and #5 Banca Mo (39%)
- The best Place Rate belongs to the same three horses but in the order of #5 Banca Mo (74%) followed by #7 Leebaz (71%) and #10 Pornichet (60%)
- Over the distance (2000m) horses with the best form are: #1 Green Moon (11-4-2-0), #3 Moriarty (17-4-2-2), #8 I’m Imposing (9-3-2-0), #13 Silent Achiever (12-3-0-2), #2 Foreteller (16-2-2-1) and #5 Banca Mo (3-2-0-0)
- The only two horses with a previous win at the track (Doomben) are #11 Hopfgarten (11-4-2-0) and #4 Hawkspur (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au to view our insider Doomben Cup 2015 betting tips shortly.
Before then why not head along and place your own selections down online at the bookie rewarding new depositing players with up to $250 in bonus bets – Ladbrokes.com.au!