Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Doomben Cup Day kicks off the Group 1 racing action of the Brisbane Winter Racing Carnival this weekend and the day’s second elite level is the 2015 BTC Cup for the sprinters, a form guide and betting preview for the classic found below.
Set to run as Doomben Race 8 at 4:07pm (AEST), this year’s $500,000 Group 1 BTC Cup (1200m) features a final field of 16, red hot favourite at Ladbrokes.com.au to win the weight-for-age feature is Our Boy Malachi.
The punters have absolutely smashed this ultra-consistent Team Hawkes-trained six-year-old who has won 17 of his 19 starts to date, and who is now in from $4 to $2.90 to add to that outstanding record with a win in his maiden Group 1 assignment on Saturday.
The three other single figure fancies for the BTC Cup win this weekend are then last year’s Stradbroke Handicap third placed mare Srikandi ($5.50) coming off a first-up Group 2 Victory Stakes win at the Gold Coast, dual Group 1 winner in Melbourne during the spring Trust In A Gust ($8.50) and the gun three-year-old Scissor Kick ($9) drawn a treat in gate four.
With a dominant favourite, does the BTC Cup form guide and history suggest you stick with the top fancy or look elsewhere for value?
2015 BTC Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s BTC Cup winner was the Noel Mayfield-Smith-trained five-year-old Famous Seamus who came off a fifth in the Victory Stakes and jumped from barrier four (of seven) with Roy Wiggins in the saddle
- Barrier 4 has produced a total of four BTC Cup winners (since 1983) making it the second most successful gate in that time and belongs this weekend to #11 Scissor Kick
- The most successful BTC Cup barrier with five winners is gate five with #10 Cape Kidnappers ($41) draw the gate for Saturday
- Former BTC Cup winning trainers with a runner this weekend are Anthony Cummings (4-2-0-0) with #3 Fontelina and #14 Villa Verde, John O’Shea (4-1-0-0) with #7 Knoydart, John Hawkes (14-2-0-1) who prepares #8 Our Boy Malachi and #13 Nostradamus in partnership with sons Michael and Wayne, and Peter Moody (3-1-0-0) with #16 Bring Me The Maid
- BTC Cup winning jockeys from the past 30 plus years with a ride this weekend are Jim Byrne (11-1-0-1) with #3 Fontelina and Damian Browne (6-1-0-1) on #15 Srikandi
- The Victory Stakes has produced two of the past four BTC Cup winners including Famous Seamus (2014) last year
- This year the Victory Stakes graduates backing up are the winner Srikandi (1st), Knoydart (4th) and Temple Of Boom (6th)
- Along with #15 Srkinadi (Group 2 Victory Stakes, 1200, Gold Coast, 25/04/2015) the other last start winners in the BTC Cup field are the Kiwi #6 Sacred Star (Group 1 NRM Sprint, 1400m, Te Rapa, NZ, 07/02/2015), #8 Our Boy Malachi (Group 3 Hall Mark Stakes, 1200m, Randwick, 18/04/2015) and #13 Nostradamus (Group 3 Gold Coast Guineas, 1200m, Gold Coast, 25/04/2015)
- Favourites have a poor recent record in the BTC Cup with just two winners – Black Caviar (2011) and Apache Cat (2008) – in the past 10 years
- This year’s favourite out to break the hoodoo is #8 Our Boy Malachi ($2.90)
- Five-year-olds have won 5 of the past 10 BTC Cups; the 5YOs in the mix on the weekend are #5 Big Money, #6 Sacred Star and #7 Knoydart
- Three-year-olds also have a nice recent record with three wins since 2009; the 3YOs in the race this year are #11 Scissor Kick, #12 Time For War, #13 Nostradamus and #16 Bring Me The Maid looking to join Sea Siren (2012) as the young fillies to salute in the past few years
- The best Win Rate of the field belongs to #8 Our Boy Malachi (89%) followed by #15 Srikandi (78%), #2 Trust In A Gust (56%) and #4 Big Money (56%)
- #15 Srikandi (100%) is yet to finish out of the money and so boasts the highest Place Rate followed by #8 Our Boy Malachi (95%), #2 Trust In A Gust (89%), #10 Cape Kidnappers (88%) #5 Big Money (81%) and #9 El Roca (78%)
- Over the distance (1200m) horses with the best winning strike rate are: #15 Srikandi (5-5-0-0), #8 Our Boy Malachi (4-4-0-0), #4 Hot Snitzel (17-5-3-2), #5 Big Money (6-3-1-0), #11 Scissor Kick (5-3-0-0), #9 El Roca (2-2-0-0), #2 Trust In A Gust (5-2-2-1) and #3 Fontelina (11-3-1-0)
- At the track (Doomben) those with the best record are: #10 Cape Kidnappers (9-4-2-1), #15 Srikandi (2-2-0-0), #5 Big Money (2-2-0-0), #3 Fontelina (1-1-0-0), #6 Sacred Star (1-1-0-0) and #12 Time For War (2-1-0-0)
- Previous winners over the track and distance are then #5 Big Money (1-1-0-0), #10 Cape Kidnappers (2-1-0-1) and #15 Srikandi (1-1-0-0)
Our insider BTC Cup 2015 betting tips are set to be published shortly so make sure you’re ready to get behind our selections online at Ladbrokes.com.au by opening an account with the bookie offering a Bonus Bet if your BTC Cup first fixed odds win bet runs 2nd or 3rd on Saturday!
2015 BTC Cup Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.