Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The action of the Adelaide Autumn Racing Carnival kicks up a notch on Saturday with the South Australian Derby 2015 for three-year-olds, a detailed form guide and betting preview for which can be found below.
Set to run as Morphettville Race 7 at 3:53pm (SA time), this year’s $500,000 Group 1 South Australian Derby (2500m) field is at capacity and the red hot favourite at a firming price in from $4.80 to $3.20 through Ladbrokes.com.au is Delicacy.
The smart Perth-trained filly is on fire having won her past five on the trot including the WA Oaks – WATC Derby double back home over 2400m before her form-confirming victory in the Group 1 Schweppes Oaks (2000m) in Adelaide last Saturday.
The bookies are unfazed by the seven day turnaround and the wide barrier (14), tipping Delicacy to complete her second Oaks – Derby double of the season.
Just two of her rivals are under $10 to score an upset SA Derby result this weekend with last start winners October Date for Nick Smart and the Nigel Blackiston-trained Manapine at $6.50 each as the co-second elects.
With so few considered a winning chance on the weekend’s major in Adelaide below we’ve got the must know South Australian Derby facts so you can sort out who to back and who to sack in the Morphettville Group 1 before placing your bets online at Ladbrokes.com.au!
2015 South Australian Derby Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s SA Derby winner was the Richard Jolly-trained Kushadasi who came off a fourth in the Group 3 Chairman’s Stakes at the track and jumped from barrier three (of 16) with Steven Arnold aboard.
- Jolly is without a runner in 2015 but trainers with a previous SA Derby win represented this year are: Mark Kavanagh (4-1-0-0) with #3 Magicool, Peter Moody (5-1-1-1) with #4 Boom Time and #9 Triple Gold, Robbie Laing (7-1-0-0) with #12 Cuban Fighter, and Leon Macdonald (6-2-0-0) who prepares the last emergency #20 Grumpy Guru in partnership with son-in-law Andrew Gluyas
- Last year’s winning hoop Steven Arnold (10-1-2-0) is back this year riding roughie shot #15 Time Walker ($71); the other former SA Derby winning jockeys with a ride this weekend are: Damien Oliver (5-1-0-2) on #3 Magicool, Joe Bowditch (6-1-1-0) on #12 Cuban Fighter, and Clare Lindop (7-1-0-1) on standby for #20e Grumpy Guru
- Last year’s winning barrier (3) this year belongs to #9 Triple Gold ($21) and has produced just the one winner since 1984
- The most successful SA Derby barrier in that time is five with five winners; this year barrier 5 was drawn by #14 Maysoor ($18) but will belong to #5 Manapine ($6.50) if the emergencies come out
- There are six last start winners in the SA Derby line-up this year with: #1 Werther (Group 2 Championship Stakes, 2100m, Ellerslie, NZ, 18/04/2015), #2 October Date (Group 3 Chairman’s Stakes, 2020m, Morphettville, 25/04/2015), #5 Manapine (Listed Galilee Series Final, 2500m, Flemington, 11/04/2015), #6 Allergic (Benchmark 70, 2060m, Cranbourne, 24/04/2015), #11 Crimson Cape (MDN-SW, 1720m, Geelong, 08/04/2015) and #16 Delicacy (Group 1 Schweppes Oaks, 2000m, Morphettville, 02/05/2015)
- The Chairman’s Stakes has produced three SA Derby winners since 2009 and along with the winner October Date the other Derby hopes coming out of the race this year are Maysoor (2nd), Chu Chu Charlie (3rd), Time Walker (4th), Saturday’s third emergency Thermogenic (5th), Turbo Street (6th), fourth emergency on the weekend Grumpy Guru (7th), Magicool (8th) and Lucques (11th)
- #16 Delicacy (69%) easily boasts the highest Win Rate of the field followed by #2 October Date (50%) and #11 Crimson Cape (40%)
- The best Place Rate meanwhile belongs to #7 Chu Chu Charlie (100%) who is yet to finish out of the money followed by #16 Delicacy (92%), #1 Werther (70%), #8 All I Survey (71%), #2 October Date (67%) and #18e Light Motion (67%)
- At the track horses with the best form are: #2 October Date (4-3-1-0), #16 Delicacy (1-1-0-0) and #13 Turbo Street (5-0-2-1)
- #5 Manapine (1-1-0-0) is the only previous winner at the distance
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider SA Derby 2015 tips to be published shortly.
Already have your favourites picked out and want to back them at the hottest odds?
Visit Ladbrokes.com.au today and open a new account with the country’s best bookie for top odds and up to $250 in bonus bets!
2015 SA Derby Form Guide
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.