This Saturday in Adelaide two Group 1 races run at Morphettville Racecourse including the Schweppes Australasian Oaks 2015, a detailed form guide and betting preview for the three-year-old fillies’ feature detailed below.
Due to jump as Morphetville Race 5 at 2:38pm (local time), this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Schweppes Oaks (2000m) field is at capacity, and the bumper markets at Ladbrokes.com.au are led by Fontein Ruby ($3.60).
Drawn in gate two, which surprisingly hasn’t produced an Australasian Oaks winner in the past 30 years, the Robert Smerdon-trained Turffontein filly shoots for her third win on the trot after back-to-back mile wins in Melbourne.
She’s got winning form over the 2000m so the distance is a non-issue, is drawn well and is awesome form.
She also has a number of genuine rivals challenging for the title on Saturday including fellow single-figure fancies in Vinery Stud Stakes winner Fenway ($4.60), WA Oaks – Derby double winner from Perth Delicacy ($8) and the Chris Waller-trained Wine Tales ($9) who is set to appreciate a firmer track than she got when second over this distance at Randwick last time out.
That’s the story the bookies are telling, but below we’ve dug deep to list the must know Australasian Schweppes Oaks facts, betting statistics and form guide data so you can back the winning filly this weekend!
2015 Schweppes Oaks Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Schweppes Oaks winner was the Darren Weir-trained May’s Dream who came off a third in the Group 3 Schweppervescence Stakes and jumped out wide in barrier 13 (of 16) with Brad Rawiller aboard
- This year Weir is likely without a runner with his only acceptor being the third emergency #19e Rather Heroic ($81) who last year’s winning hoop Rawiller is on standby to ride
- Other former Schweppes Oaks winning trainers with a 2015 runner are David Hayes (27-3-2-1) who prepares #5 Jurasound ($21) in partnership with nephew Tom Dabernig and Phillip Stokes (6-2-0-1) with two emergency runners this year – #17e Try Your Best ($51) and #18e Coachella ($41)
- The Schweppes Oaks winning jockeys with a runner this year are: Damien Oliver (9-3-1-1) shooting for his fourth aboard #14 Bahamas, Craig Williams (3-1-0-0) riding #9 Ungrateful Ellen, Dom Tourneur (4-1-0-0) aboard #11 Not A Happy Camper and Steven Arnold (12-1-0-1) with the ride on #12 Redasun
- Last year’s winning barrier (13) is drawn this year by #7 Sea Spray ($21) but with the emergencies out it will be #16 Hipster Girl ($51) with gate 13, which has produced four winners since 1983
- The most successful Schweppes Oaks barriers in that time are 8 (six winners) and 1 (five winners); this year gate eight belongs to #4 Wine Tales ($9) and the inside alley will have #5 Jurasound jumping from it
- The Schweppervescence / Auraria Stakes has produced the past three Schweppes Oaks winners with Invest (2012), Maybe Discreet (2013) and May’s Dream (2014) all coming via the traditional lead-up into the Group 1
- This year the Auraria Stakes graduates backing up in the Oaks are: Fitocracy (1st), Kansas Sunflower (2nd), Choix De Maia (3rd), Cathy’s Mark (4th), Redasun (5th), Coachella (7th) who is an emergency, first emergency Try Your Best (10th) and Hipster Girl (16th)
- The last filly to complete the Auraria Stakes – Oaks double was Episode (1999) with #6 Fitocracy ($21) out to break the hoodoo in 2015
- There are five last start winners guaranteed a run in the Oaks this year with: #1 Fenway (Group 1 Vinery Stud Stakes, 2000m, Rosehill, 28/03/2015), #2 Fontein Ruby (VOBIS Gold Reef, 1600m, Caulfield, 18/04/2015), #3 Delicacy (Group 2 WATC Derby, 2400m, Ascot, 11/04/2015), #6 Fitocracy (Group 3 Auraria Stakes, 1800m, Morphettville, 18/04/2015) and #9 Ungrateful Ellen (Benchmark70, 1600m, Bendigo, 16/04/2015)
- #3 Delicacy (67%) best Win Rate of the field followed by #5 Jurasound (40%)
- The Perth filly also has the highest Place Rate (92%) followed by Jurasound (90%) again and then #4 Wine Tales (70%)
- The only local in the line-up with winning form at the track is #6 Fitocracy (5-1-0-2); others with previous top three Morphettville form are #8 Kansas Sunflower (1-0-1-0), #10 Lady Sharapova (1-0-0-1), #11 Not A Happy Camper (1-0-1-0), #13 Choix de Maia (1-0-0-1), #15 Cathy’s Mark (2-0-0-1), #17e Try Your Best (4-0-1-0), #18e Coachella (4-0-1-1) and #20e Real Magnus (3-0-1-0)
- Over the distance (2000m) the fillies with the best form are: #1 Fenway (2-1-0-1), #2 Fontein Ruby (2-1-0-0) and #4 Wine Tales (2-0-1-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Australasian Schweppes Oaks betting tips up shortly.
Before then ensure you’ve got an account open online with Ladbrokes.com.au who are offering a Bonus Bet on the Oaks this Saturday if your first fixed win bet runs second or third!