Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The first of the two Group 1s running at Randwick Racecourse this weekend sees the two-year-olds facing off in the 2015 Champagne Stakes, a detailed form analysis and betting preview for the classic found below.
There are just nine juveniles facing off in Saturday’s $400,000 Group 1 Moet & Chandon Champagne Stakes (1600m), the set weights clash due to jump at 2:25pm (AEST) as All Aged Stakes Day Race 4.
The firming favourite in from $3.30 right into $2.90 in the latest Champagne Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au is the Peter Moody-trained filly Pasadena Girl who, from barrier four, is out to hand the girls their third straight win in the race.
There’s plenty working in her favour aside from fillies winning the past two editions, including her favourite status as four of the past five punters’ picks have saluted in the Champagne Stakes.
Her biggest threat according to the Champagne Stakes betting markets is Odyssey Moon drawn on her outside in gate five and paying $3.70.
Rodney Northam’s Snitzel colt is on the drift out from $3.50 despite having beaten Pasadena Girl home in the Group 1 ATC Sires’ Produce Stakes (1400m) at the track last time out when the two ran second and fourth respectively behind Pride Of Dubai in the traditional Champagne Stakes lead-up.
The other single figure hopes to consider include the Gary Moore-trained dual Group 3 winner Takedown ($6) shooting for win number four on the trot and John O’Shea’s Hard Spun colt Tarquin ($6.50) who ran fifth in the Sires’ Produce on the back of a Group 2 Pago Pago Stakes victory in March.
So is the order of the odds right or is there an upset Champagne Stakes result revealed by taking a look at the race field, form guide and betting history?
2015 Champagne Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Champagne Stakes winner was the Leon MacDonald & Andrew Gluyas-trained filly from SA Go Indy Go (2014) who came off a win in the SA Sires’ Produce Stakes and jumped from barrier six (of 10) with Chad Schofield aboard
- There are two last start winners in this year’s race with #1 The Barrister (Listed Fernhill Handicap, 1600m, Randwick, 11/04/2015) and #3 Takedown (Group 3 The Schweppervescence, 1400m, Rosehill, 28/03/2015)
- All four of the most recent Champagne Stakes winners from 2011 – 14 came off a last start win
- Three of those came out of the Inglis ATC Sires’ Produce Stakes with Helmet (2011), Pierro (2012) and Guelph (2013) all completing the double
- Sydney’s Sires’ Produce Stakes has in total produced eight of the past 10 Champagne Stakes winners and 23 in the past 30 years
- Champagne Stakes hopes coming out of this year’s ATC Sires’ Produce Stakes are Odyssey Moon (equal 2nd), Pasadena Girl (4th) and Tarquin (5th)
- Last year’s winning barrier (6) is the most successful Champagne Stakes barrier with a total of eight winners (since 1983) including the past four straight
- This year the horse drawn in the coveted gate six is #9 Mine Too
- The next most successful barriers are then 7 (six wins) and 1 (five wins) drawn on Saturday by #1 The Barrister ($13) and #7 Reckless Russell ($91) respectively
- Fillies looking to be the third on the trot to win the Champagne Stakes are #8 Pasadena Girl ($2.90F) and #9 Mine Two ($17)
- #8 Pasadena Girl ($2.90) is the market mover and race favourite; favourites have won three of the past four editions of the race
- The two previous Champagne Stakes winning trainers with a runner this year are Gai Waterhouse (24-5-6-3) with #5 Street Rapper ($9.50) and Garry Frazer (1-1-0-0) with #9 Mine Two ($17)
- Previous Champagne Stakes winning jockeys with a ride on Saturday are: Kerrin McEvoy (5-2-0-2) on #3 Takedown, Damien Oliver (9-1-0-0) on #2 Odyssey Moon, Hugh Bowman (8-1-1-1) on #8 Pasadena Girl and Glen Boss (9-1-0-1) on #9 Mine Two
- #3 Takedown (75%) boasts the highest Win Rate of the field followed by #4 Tarquin (67%) and #8 Pasadena Girl (67%)
- The best Place Rate also belongs to #3 Takedown (100%) who is yet to finish out of the money followed by #2 Odyssey Moon (67%), #4 Tarquin (67%) and #8 Pasadena Girl (67%)
- Previous winners at the Randwick track are #1 The Barrister (1-1-0-0), #2 Odyssey Moon (2-1-1-0) and #9 Mine Two (4-1-0-0)
- #1 The Barrister (1-1-0-0) is the only horse with a previous win over the 1600m after his Fernhill success last Saturday
- The last horse to win the Champagne Stakes coming out of the Fernhill Handicap was Dracula (1998)
- Randwick is set to be in the Soft range on Saturday and Champagne Stakes runners with good Soft-track form are: #2 Odyssey Moon (4-1-2-1), #1 The Barrister (1-1-0-0) and #4 Tarquin (2-1-0-0)
Bookmark us here at Races.com.au for our insider Champagne Stakes 2015 betting tips up shortly.
In the meantime head over to our preferred online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au and open a new account quoting the code BETBONUS to have your first deposit matched 100% up to $250 in free bets this season!
2015 Champagne Stakes Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.