Anthony Freedman has the Brisbane Winter Racing...
Talented Group 1 winner Dear Demi has been sold to Japanese interests and retired from Australian racing effective immediately, ruling out a previously-outlined tilt at Saturdays’ Group 1 All Aged Stakes (1400m) at Randwick.
Dear Demi has been a standout performer for veteran trainer Clarry Conners since first appearing on track competitively in late 2011 but undoubtedly found career-best form through the 2012/13 racing calendars, highlighted by success in the Group 1 Crown Oaks (2500m).
Having failed to fire over three starts this time in, Conners told AAP he was disappointed he will not saddled the daughter of Dehere once more but rates the five-year-old amongst the best he has saddled.
“I am disappointed because she went really well in a 1200 metre trial on Friday and I thought she would go well in the All Aged,” Conners said.
“I understand she has been sold to Japan.
“She has been a wonderful mare. Her Oaks win was obviously a highlight but she ran some other great races.
“She ran second in the Oaks in Sydney and was placed in the Caulfield Cup and the Mackinnon Stakes.
“I picked her out at the sales and she has been a special horse but she will be going up to (John Singleton’s) Strawberry Hill Stud on Monday.”
Posting a commendable race record of seven wins and a further 13 minor place finishes through her 40 career starts so far, Dear Demi returned to competition in exceptional form over the 2013 Autumn Carnival; highlighted by success in the Group 2 Surround Stakes (1400m) and an agonizingly-close second to Royal Descent in the Group 1 Australian Oaks (2400m).
Returning in spring in similarly slick form, the mare out of Shirley finished in the minors in each of the Group 1 Underwood Stakes (1800m), Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) and Group 1 Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) and contested the Melbourne Cup, but failed to get the distance.
Purchased for $130,000 as a yearling, Dear Demi has won more than $2 million in prize money through her impressive racing career.
The 2015 All Aged Stakes final field and barrier draw is due to be completed and released by midday, Wednesday.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.