Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The major staying showdown on the Royal Randwick race card this Saturday is the Sydney Cup 2015, a form guide and betting preview for the two mile classic detailed right here.
Punters are treated to a quartet of elite level races in Sydney this weekend for Day 2 of The Championships including the $1.6 million Group 1 Schweppes 150th Sydney Cup (3200m) running as Race 8 at 3:55pm (AEST).
Originally the Sydney Cup field drew a dozen final acceptors however only 11 remain in the mix after England’s Ed Dunlop scratched his triple Melbourne Cup runner-up Red Cadeaux in favour of the veteran raider running in the $4 million Group 1 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m) at the meeting instead.
Updated Sydney Cup odds at Ladbrokes.com.au, the only bookie offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on the four Group 1s on Saturday, are firmly led by Hartnell ($2.80 into $2.25).
The John O’Shea-trained import shoots for his third win on the trot and back-to-back Group 1s after the Authorized four-year-old won the Group 1 The BMW (2400m) at Rosehill on March 28.
He has had the one previous 3200m run, which he won, and should get a gun run from barrier 7 on the 52kg minimum on Saturday with Tommy Berry in the saddle.
The other major players in the Sydney Cup betting market are then 58kg top weight Protectionist ($4.60) who won the Melbourne Cup in the spring and Melbourne Cup third placegetter Who Shot Thebarman ($4.60) for the state’s premier trainer Chris Waller.
So will the dominant trio in the markets run the Sydney Cup trifecta on Saturday or is there an upset on the cards revealed in the race history and form guide?
2015 Sydney Cup Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Sydney Cup winner was the Gai Waterhouse-trained The Offer who came off a win in the Group 2 Chairman’s Handicap, jumped from barrier eight (of 17) and was ridden by Tommy Berry
- While Waterhouse has no runners this year jockey Tommy Berry shoots for back-to-back wins aboard the race favourite #6 Hartnell ($2.25)
- Along with Berry (3-1-0-0) the other previous Sydney Cup winning jockeys with a ride this year are: Jim Cassidy (15-2-3-1-) on #11 Grand Marshal, Craig Williams (8-1-0-1) on #1 Protectionist, Kerrin McEvoy (10-1-2-1) on #5 Au Revoir and Glen Boss (14-1-2-3) on #8 Big Memory
- Previous Sydney Cup winning trainers with a runner this weekend are: Kris Lees (6-1-1-0) with #1 Protectionist, and Chris Waller (10-1-1-0) with #4 Who Shot Thebarman and #11 Grand Marshal
- Last year’s winning barrier (eight) belongs this year to #12 Don Doremo ($26) and has produced a total of nine Sydney Cup winners (since 1983) making it the most successful in the race’s history
- The next best barrier with four winners in that time is two belonging this year to #1 Protectionist ($4.60)
- The most successful Sydney Cup lead-up producing six of the past 10 winners including The Offer (2014) last year is the Group 2 Chairman’s Handicap (2600m)
- The only horse coming via the race this year is Grand Marshal (3rd)
- Favourites have won the Sydney Cup five times in the past decade, a nice record #6 Hartnell will be out to continue this weekend
- #6 Hartnell (44%) boasts the highest Win Rate of the field followed by #4 Who Shot Thebarman (42%) and #1 Protectionist (38%)
- The best Place Rate also belongs to #6 Hartnell (75%) followed by #1 Protectionist (69%), #12 Don Doremo (67%) and #11 Grand Marshal (65%)
- The only horses to run top three at the track (Randwick) before are: #11 Grand Marshal (4-0-2-1) and #8 Big Memory (2-0-1-0)
- Over the distance (3200m) horses with the best form are: #1 Protectionist (1-1-0-0), #4 Who Shot Thebarman (3-1-0-1), #6 Hartnell (1-1-0-0), #10 Renew (2-1-0-1) and #9 Like A Carousel (4-0-2-0)
- Randwick is likely to be rain-affected on Saturday and the best Soft track form belongs to: #6 Hartnell (5-4-0-0), #1 Protectionist (4-2-1-1), #4 Who Shot Thebarman (4-1-1-0) and #12 Don Doremo (2-1-1-0)
Bookmark us here at Races.com.au to view our insider Sydney Cup 2015 tips up shortly.
Before then check out the full form guide below then head to Ladbrokes.com.au to open your account with the country’s leading online bookie who is rewarding new depositing players with up to $250 in free bets with use of the code BETBONUS this autumn!
2015 Sydney Cup Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.