This Saturday in Sydney four Group 1s headline the all black-type line-up at Randwick Racecourse including the Doncaster Mile 2015, a form guide and betting preview for the handicap clash detailed below.
The $3 million Group 1 The Star Doncaster Mile (1600m) features a capacity field of star milers with 20 confirmed starters and four emergencies sweating on a scratching to make it to Race 9 at 5:10pm.
Despite the bumper field only four runners are under double figures in the latest Doncaster Mile odds to win, including easing $6 favourite Hallowed Crown.
The James & Bart Cummings-trained colt opened at $5 post Doncaster Mile barrier draw on Tuesday but has drifted out slightly with the punters wary of his wide barrier 23, into 20, draw for the weekend.
Tommy Berry has the mount on the 52kg light-weight who is looking to become the first three-year-old Doncaster Mile winner since Sacred Choice for his first in 2013 who Berry also rode to victory.
Sacred Choice came via a second in the Group 1 Rosehill Guineas (2000m) two years ago, the same race that produces Hallowed Crown this autumn.
The son of Street Sense, winner of the Golden Rose – Randwick Guineas double, ran a brave third in the Rosehill Guineas and should be flying when dropped back to 1600m here.
The other hopes the bookies are taking no chances on are then second emergency Kermadec ($7) for Chris Waller who is after his third straight Doncaster, Japan’s Real Impact ($7) who won the George Ryder Stakes last time out in his Aussie debut and market mover Pornichet ($8) for seven-time winning trainer Gai Waterhouse out to surpass the record she shares with her late father TJ Smith.
That’s the story the bookies are telling this Doncaster Mile Day, but below we have the must know info complied from the complete form guide and betting history on the classic.
2015 Doncaster Mile Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Doncaster Mile winner was the Chris Waller-trained defending champ Sacred Falls who jumped from barrier 13 with Zac Purton in the saddle on 56.5kg coming via a fourth in the George Ryder Stakes
- #1 Sacred Falls ($16) is back in 2015 looking to become the first horse in history to win three Doncaster Miles
- This year Zac Purton stays on but the duo are drawn wide in barrier 20 (into 17) carrying the 58kg top weight and the horse comes off a 12th in the George Ryder
- The last horse to carry 58kg to victory was 15/8 favourite Sunline back in 2002
- Last year’s winning Doncaster Mile barrier (13) is drawn this year by #14 Pornichet ($8) but with the four emergencies out will belong to #9 Cosmic Endeavour ($31) – both horses prepared by Gai Waterhouse
- Along with the dual defending champion last year’s winning trainer Chris Waller saddles up #4 Moriarty ($71), #6 Royal Descent ($10) and also has second emergency #22e Kermadec ($7) high up the markets as he shoots for his fifth win in race
- Waterhouse meanwhile is the most successful Doncaster Mile winning trainer with an equal seven wins previous; she saddles up this year the aforementioned #9 Cosmic Endeavour and #14 Pornichet along with #13 Diamond Drille ($26) chasing her record eighth win
- Other previous Doncaster Mile winning trainers with a runner on Saturday are: John Hawkes (32-1-1-2) who trains #7 Ninth Legion and #17 Leebaz in partnership with his sons Michael & Wayne, Bart Cummings (28-2-23) preparing #10 Hallowed Crown with grandson James, John O’Shea (5-1-0-0) with #12 It’s Somewhat and second emergency #22e Sweynesse, and Joe Pride (5-2-0-0) with #15 Destiny’s Kiss
- As well as last year’s champion hoop Zac Purton the other previous Doncaster Mile winning jockeys with a ride this weekend are: Tim Clark (6-1-0-0) on #9 Cosmic Endeavour, Tommy Berry (4-1-0-1) on #10 Hallowed Crown and the most successful Glen Boss (17-5-3-1) awaiting a start for #22e Kermadec
- The most successful Doncaster Mile barrier (since 1983) with five winners is 12 drawn this year by #11 Hooked but belonging to #14 Pornichet with the emergencies out
- The other best barrier historically with 4 winners in that time, including two since 2010, is 10 drawn this year by #20 Plucky Belle but belonging to #5 Moriarty
- Three favourites have won the Doncaster Mile in the past 10 years; this year #10 Hallowed Crown ($6) is out to be the next
- #10 Hallowed Crown (75%) easily boasts the highest Win Rate in the field followed by #21e Sweynesse (44%), #17 Leebaz (43%), #19 Suavito (41%), #16 Arabian Gold (41%) and #9 Cosmic Endeavour (41%)
- The highest Place Rate of the field belongs to #10 Hallowed Crown (88%) also followed by #19 Suavito (82%), #21e Sweynesse (78%), #17 Leebaz (71%) and #22e Kermadec (71%)
- Horses with the best winning record at Randwick are: #16 Arabian Gold (6-3-1-0), #1 Sacred Falls (11-3-1-0), #5 Moriarty (12-3-0-2), #6 Royal Descent (11-2-6-1), #9 Cosmic Endeavour (5-2-1-0), #10 Hallowed Crown (3-2-0-0), #13 Diamond Drille (5-2-0-0), #7 Ninth Legion (7-1-1-0), #15 Destiny’s Kiss (8-1-2-2), #17 Leebaz (3-1-1-0), #18 Rudy (1-1-0-0) and #23e Aomen (2-1-0-0)
- Horses with the best 1600m record are: #1 Sacred Falls (10-4-0-1), #18 Rudy (5-4-0-1), #8 Puccini (11-4-1-2), #2 Happy Trails (12-3-0-2), #13 Diamond Drille (4-3-0-0), #17 Leebaz (5-3-0-1), #14 Pornichet (3-2-0-1), #5 Moriarty (9-3-1-1), #15 Destiny’s Kiss (7-2-1-0), #16 Arabian Gold (5-2-0-0), #19 Suavito (4-2-1-1), #21e Sweynesse (2-1-1-0), #22e Kermadec (3-1-1-0) and #10 Hallowed Crown (1-1-0-0),
- #6 Royal Descent is yet to win over the mile but has run second in all six of her previous runs over the distance
- Previous winners over the track and distance are then: #1 Sacred Falls (6-3-0-0), #13 Diamond Drille (2-2-0-0), #5 Moriarty (4-1-0-0), #10 Hallowed Crown (1-1-0-0), #18 Rudy (1-1-0-0) and #16 Arabian Gold (2-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Doncaster Mile 2015 tips to be published shortly.
In the meantime use the above form facts to back your own selections online at Ladbrokes.com.au who are offering Best Tote or SP + 20% on your winnings for all four Group 1s at Randwick on the weekend!