Two Group 1 races headline the Sydney racing action at Randwick Racecourse this Saturday including the Canterbury Stakes 2015, a form guide and betting preview for which can be found below.
Run one race after the day’s marquee event, the Randwick Guineas, this year’s $500,000 Group 1 Canterbury Stakes (1300m) is the seventh showdown on the program and is due to jump at 4:10pm (AEDT).
Nine middle-distance sprinters are in the mix, the favourite of which is the Chris Waller-trained Catkins at $3.10.
Drawn in barrier three for Jim Cassidy, the five-year-old Dubawi mare comes off back-to-back wins at Rosehill in February including the Group 2 Millie Fox Stakes (1300m) last time out.
Hot on her heels in Canterbury Stakes betting paying $3.40 is then the rails-drawn Cosmic Endeavour, also out to become the fourth mare in five years to win.
Gai Waterhouse’s consistent Northern Meteor four-year-old is best known for her Group 1 Tattersall’s Classic (1400m) victory in Brisbane last winter, and comes off a second in the Group 3 Guy Walter Stakes (1400m) from last weekend.
The other two single figure hopes in the markets are then the returning Fontelina ($7.50) having his first start since a second in the 2014 William Reid Stakes 12 months ago and Joe Pride’s Group 1 winner Tiger Tees ($8) also first-up here.
Before you head to Ladbrokes.com.au and place your Canterbury Stakes bets however make sure you check out our must know facts on the race and it’s field based on the historical date from the past 30 plus years.
2015 Canterbury Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Canterbury Stakes winner was the Guy Walter-trained mare Appearance who came off back-to-back autumn wins in the Group 2 Expressway Stakes and Apollo Stakes at Randwick, jumped from barrier 10 (of 10) and had Kerrin McEvoy in the saddle
- This year McEvoy shoots for back-to-back Canterbury Stakes wins aboard the Chris Waller-trained #7 Royal Descent ($14)
- #7 Royal Descent is one of three mares in the field along with #8 Catkins ($3.10) and #9 Cosmic Endeavour ($3.40) out to become the fourth in five years to win the race joining: Appearance (2014) and More Joyous (2011, 2012)
- The outside barrier (9) this year belongs to #3 Tiger Tees ($8) with the last Canterbury Stakes winner to jump from that gate being Defier (2003)
- The most successful Canterbury Stakes barrier by far (since 1983) with nine wins is six belonging this weekend to #7 Royal Descent
- The next best barriers are then seven (five wins) and two (four wins) belonging this year to #4 Fontelina ($7.50) and #5 Hooked ($13) respectively
- Last start winners have only scored three times in the past 14 years
- The only horse coming off a win this year is the favourite #8 Catkins after her third on the trot after victories in the Group 2 Breeders’ Classic (1200m) and the Group 2 Millie Fox Stakes (1300m) last month
- Favourites have a gun record in the race with five wins in the past 10 years and three in the past four years with: Pierro ($2 in 2013) and More Joyous ($2.80 in 2012 and $1.30 in 2011)
- The only jockeys in the race with a previous Canterbury Stakes win on their record are Jim Cassidy (15-4-1-2) and #8 Catkins and Kerrin McEvoy (4-1-1-1) on #7 Royal Descent
- Gai Waterhouse is the most successful trainer in recent years with six wins from 21 starters since 1983; she is after her seventh with #9 Cosmic Endeavour on Saturday
- #6 Leebaz (50%) boasts the highest Win Rate followed by #8 Catkins (48%) and #3 Tiger Tees (43%)
- The highest Place Rate belongs to #8 Catkins (83%) followed by #6 Leebaz (75%) and #7 Royal Descent (67%)
- Over the distance the horses with the best form are: #4 Fontelina (3-2-0-0), #8 Catkins (2-2-0-0), #3 Tiger Tees (2-1-1-0), #5 Hooked (2-1-0-0) and #6 Leebaz (2-1-0-0)
- At the track those with the best record are: #1 Sacred Falls (10-3-1-0), #3 Tiger Tees (8-2-1-1), #7 Royal Descent (10-2-6-1) and #6 Leebaz (2-1-1-0)
Bookmark us here at Races.com.au for our insider Canterbury Stakes 2015 betting tips out later in the week.
Before then make sure you sign-up with Ladbrokes.com.au to back your favourites at the guaranteed best prices online through the bookmaker rewarding new depositing players with a $250 free bonus bet this season!