Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
The 2015 Oakleigh Plate is one of three Group 1 races on the Blue Diamond Stakes Day program at Caulfield in Melbourne this weekend, a detailed betting form guide and preview for the sprint classic found below.
Peter Moody officially scratched Flamberge from the field this morning, the horse not 100% fit for the race after mucus was found on his throat earlier in the week.
That leaves 17 hopefuls for this year’s $400,000 Group 1 Oakleigh Plate (1100m), running as Caulfield Race 7 at 5:15pm (AEDT).
Leading the latest Oakleigh Plate betting odds at Ladbrokes.com.au at $5 is the John O’Shea-trained Exceed And Excel filly Earthquake who won the two-year-olds’ major, the Blue Diamond Stakes, on this day last Melbourne Autumn Racing Carnival.
Hot on her tail in the Oakleigh Plate markets are then two smart short-distance specialist mares with Vain Queen ($6) first-up and Atmospherical ($8) coming off a third to Chautauqua in the Group 3 Rubiton Stakes (1100m) at Caulfield on February 14.
Also at single figures to win are Robert Smerdon’s last start Sandown winner Shamal Wind ($9) and Moody’s remaining runner, the big market mover A Time For Julia smashed in from $17 to $9.50.
That’s the Oakleigh Plate picture the bookies have painted, but what about the race form and history?
2015 Oakleigh Plate Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Oakleigh Plate winner was the now five-time Group 1 champion sprinter Lankan Rupee from the Mick Price stables who came off a last start win in the Rubiton Stakes, jumped from barrier seven (of 18) and was ridden by Craig Newitt
- This year’s Rubiton Stakes winner Chautauqua doesn’t back-up in the Oakleigh Plate and with runner-up Flamberge also scratched the best over the line in the traditional lead-up is #10 Atmospherical ($8)
- There are two last start winners in the mix with #3 It Is Written (Listed Abell Stakes, 1200m, Moonee Valley, 06/02/2015) and #5 Shamal Wind (Listed WJ Adams Stakes, 1000m, Sandown, 26/01/2015)
- Last year’s winning barrier (7) on Saturday belongs to #7 Lord Of The Sky ($15) with the last horse before Lankan Rupee to win from the gate being Dantelah (1999)
- The most successful Oakleigh Plate barriers since 1983 with four winners each are six and 10 that belong this year to #17 Eloping ($26) and #6 Vain Queen ($5.50) respectively
- Four of the past seven Oakleigh Plate winners however jumped from double digit barriers brining into the mix the likes of #6 Vain Queen (10) and #5 Shamal Wind (15) both at single figures to win along with the favourite #16 Earthquake (11)
- Barriers that haven’t produced an Oakleigh Plate winner in that time are three, 12, 15 and 17
- In the past 10 years three Oakleigh Plate favourites have won with Fastnet Rock (2005), Weekend Hussler (2008) and Lankan Rupee (2014)
- This year the favourite is #16 Earthquake ($5) for trainer John O’Shea and jockey Chad Schofield
- The most successful Oakleigh Plate jockey with two wins and four seconds from 16 rides is Damien Oliver who is without a run on the weekend
- Also boasting two Oakleigh Plate wins but with a ride this year is Stephen Baster aboard #7 Lord Of The Sky
- Only three horses have carried more than 55.5kg to victory in the past 30 years with Fastnet Rock (2005), Undue (2007) and most recently Eagle Falls (2011) who won with 57kg
- This year that rules out the 58kg top weight #1 Bel Sprinter ($19) who is the only runner left with more than 55kg
- The horse with the best Win Rate in the field is #6 Vain Queen (58%) followed by #16 Earthquake (56%) and #10 Atmospherical (55%)
- #16 Earthquake (89%) has the highest Place Rate though followed by #10 Atmospherical (82%) and #14 Under The Louvre (75%)
- Over the distance (1100m) those with the best winning record are: #10 Atmospherical (5-4-0-1), #6 Vain Queen (5-3-0-0), #1 Bel Sprinter (8-3-0-0), #18 Nostradamus (3-2-0-0), #4 Fast ‘n’ Rocking (3-1-1-0), #7 Lord Of The Sky (2-1-0-0), #11 General Jackson (2-1-0-0) and #16 Earthquake (1-1-0-0)
- At the track (Caulfield) the best strike rates belong to: #7 Lord Of The Sky (7-5-0-0), #16 Earthquake (3-3-0-0), #1 Bel Sprinter (5-3-0-0), #14 Under The Louvre (3-2-1-0), #17 Eloping (4-2-1-0), #8 Sistine Demon (7-2-0-1), #9 A Time For Julia (8-2-4-0), #4 Shamal Wind (9-2-1-3) and #4 Fast ‘n’ Rocking (11-2-2-0)
- Previous winners over the track and distance are then: #1 Bel Sprinter (3-1-0-0), #4 Fast ‘n’ Rocking (3-1-1-0), #5 Shamal Wind (5-1-1-1), #7 Lord Of The Sky (1-1-0-0) and #16 Earthquake (1-1-0-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Oakleigh Plate 2015 betting tips to be published shortly.
Already have your selections picked out and want to back them online at the right price? Then sign-up with Ladbrokes.com.au where by quoting the code BETBONUS when prompted you will also enjoy up to $250 in free bets!
2015 Oakleigh Plate Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.