The richest Victorian race for two-year-olds held during the Melbourne Autumn Racing Carnival takes centre stage at Caulfield Racecourse on Saturday, and below you will find a detailed Blue Diamond Stakes 2015 form guide and betting preview.
The famous set weights clash is scheduled to run as Race 8 at 5:50pm (AEDT), with a field of 15 engaged for this year’s $1 million Group 1 Blue Diamond Stakes (1200m).
Race favourite and the Ladbrokes.com.au market mover in form $2.45 to $2.30 is the Robert Smerdon-trained daughter of Turffontein Fontiton.
She has won all three of her career starts to date including a six length win on debut in the Inglis Banner before her victories in the Blue Diamond Fillies Preview and Prelude at her latest two starts.
Fontiton firmed in her favouritism after drawing ideally in barrier one, which most recently produced a Blue Diamond Stakes winner just two years ago with Miracles Of Life (2013).
The only other juvenile under double figures in the Blue Diamond Stakes betting markets at $6, out from $5, is then the Peter & Paul Snowden-trained Pride Of Dubai coming off a second in the C&G Prelude a fortnight ago.
Winner of that race Of The Brave ($11), third past the post Sampeah ($11) and then the Team Hawkes-trained filly Lake Geneva ($11) are the next best in betting.
That’s the ones the bookies have tipped, but what about the race history and form guide?
Is there an upset Blue Diamond Stakes result possible? And if so, which outside chances should you be getting behind at Ladbrokes.com.au to win?
2015 Blue Diamond Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Blue Diamond Stakes winner was the then Peter Snowden-trained filly Earthquake for Darley who came off two earlier wins including in the Fillies Prelude, jumped from barrier 15 (of 16) and was ridden by Damian Browne
- This year Snowden, who also won the Blue Diamond Stakes for Darley with star colt Sepoy in 2011, is back for a third win in just five years with #7 Pride Of Dubai ($6) who has last year’s winning hoop in the saddle
- The most successful Blue Diamond Stakes jockey in history with four wins from eight rides is Dwayne Dunn (2005-08) who rides #13 Lake Geneva this year
- Last year’s winning connections, now under the Godolphin banner, have two in the race prepared by new head trainer John O’Shea with #5 Sampeah ($11) and roughie shot #6 Bantam ($81)
- Race favourite #8 Fontiton ($2.30) shoots for the same double Earthquake achieved last autumn winning the Blue Diamond Fillies Prelude – Blue Diamond Stakes back-to-back
- Earthquake was the third straight filly to win along with Miracles Of Life (2013) and Samaready (2012) and there are eight female runners in the 2015 race
- The best two fancied fillies to make it four straight Blue Diamonds for the girls are #8 Fontiton and #13 Lake Geneva
- Last year’s wide winning barrier 15 on Saturday is the outside draw and belongs to #10 Flamboyant Lass ($18) out to break trainer Gai Waterhouse’s Blue Diamond maiden
- The two most successful Blue Diamond Stakes barriers since 1983 with four wins each are four and five belonging this year to #14 Air Apparent ($21) and #7 Pride Of Dubai respectively
- Favourites have a great recent record in the race winning the past four straight and #8 Fontiton is out to add to that this weekend
- All four winners since 2010 were also undefeated leading into the race adding to the form of undefeated duo #8 Fontiton and #2 Of The Brave in 2015
- Those two won the two editions of the Blue Diamond Prelude, races that have produced 15 Blue Diamond Stakes winners in the past 30 years
- The two undefeated runners boast the highest 100% win rate with #2 Of The Brave ($11) and #8 Fontiton, followed by Robert Smerdon’s other runner #9 Thurlow (67%)
- Along with those same two horses #2 Of The Brave and #8 Fontiton, there are six other hopefuls yet to finish out of the money boasting a perfect 100% place rate with: #1 Stoker, #5 Sampeah, #7 Pride Of Dubai, #9 Thurlow, #10 Flamboyant Lass and #13 Lake Geneva
- The only runner to have had a previous go over the 1200m is #12 Claudia Jean ($34) who was unplaced in the $2 million Magic Millions 2YO Classic at the Gold Coast last month
- Those with the best form over the track however are: #2 Of The Brave (2-2-0-0), #8 Fontiton (1-1-0-0), #7 Pride Of Dubai (1-0-1-0) and #11 Miss Gidget (1-0-1-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our insider Blue Diamond Stakes 2015 betting tips to be published shortly.
Already have your favourites picked out and want to back them at the best prices? Then visit our preferred online bookmaker Ladbrokes.com.au where you will have access to Best Tote or SP + 20% on your winnings markets for the Blue Diamond this weekend!