Moment Of Change Ruled Out of 2015 Autumn Carnival

Peter Moody has had to put a pin in autumn plans for Moment Of Change after the six-year-old gelding suffered a colic attack on Sunday.

Moment Of Change will miss the autumn after a colic scare that resulted in an operation.

Moment Of Change will miss the autumn after a colic scare that resulted in an operation. Photo by Race Horse Photos Australia.

While the issue was picked up early, the fact that the gelding underwent an operation means he cannot run at all during the upcoming autumn campaign.

Managing owner Rob Slade told TVN on Monday morning that Moment Of Change came out of the operation well.

“He’s all right now, but he was very crook yesterday. He was in a fair bit of pain and discomfort as his intestine wasn’t working as good as it should have been,” Slade said.

“Unfortunately, they did have to operate on him, which rules him out for the autumn now. He’ll have three months in the paddock and then we’ll bring him back for the spring.”

Slade also mentioned that the gelding was set to defend both his Group 1 CF Orr Stakes (1400m) and Group 1 Futurity Stakes (1400m) victories from last season before the scare.

Moment Of Change won last year’s CF Orr Stakes just a short neck from Eurozone before scoring the Futurity Stakes by half a length two weeks later.

The gelding had a disappointing spring, finishing last of 11 runners in the Group 1 Memsie Stakes (1400m), before failing to impress in the Group 1 Winterbottom Stakes (1200m) after travelling to Perth for the summer.

However he returned in the Listed WJ Adams Stakes (1000m) at Sandown on January 26, scoring third place despite carrying the hefty 61.5kg top weight.

The result had pleased both Moody and jockey Luke Nolen, who were confident of the gelding’s chances heading into the autumn.

“Luke grabbed me at the Cranbourne trials last Thursday and was really buoyant about him,” Slade said.

Slade also noted that Moment Of Change was potentially set to travel to Brisbane for the first time during the Winter Carnival and contest the $2 million Group 1 Stradbroke Handicap (1350m).

However these plans are all for moot now. He will return in the spring as a seven-year-old.

“We were going to go after the two Group 1s at Caulfield this month (C.F. Orr & Futurity) and then we were very keen to go to Brisbane with him and target the Stradbroke.

“But, the main thing is fine and he’ll come back as a seven-year-old with only 28 starts to his name.”

Open your Ladbrokes.com.au online betting account to receive up to $250 in a bonus match on your first bet. Just quote code: BETBONUS.

Comment

Have your say, post a comment.