This weekend the Sydney Summer Racing Carnival action kicks up a notch with the Villiers Stakes 2014, a detailed form guide analysis and betting preview for the quality handicap clash detailed below.
There are 15 middle-distance gallopers making up the field for this year’s $175,000 Group 2 Inglis Villiers Stakes (1600m) that runs as Royal Randwick Race 6 at 4:15pm (AEDT) on Saturday.
Villiers Stakes betting at Ladbrokes.com.au is currently led by Steven O’Dea’s talented four-year-old Sir Moments paying $4.80, in from $5.50, to win his first Group 2 since the Queensland Guineas over the mile back in May.
He comes off a fifth in the Listed Festival Stakes (1500m) from Rosehill on November 29, a race that produces a host of the other livewire chances in the Villiers Stakes odds for Saturday.
The other four best fancied are Festival Stakes third placegetter Strawberry Boy ($6.50), market mover Estonian Princess in from $8 to $6.50 after her second in the race, Choisir mare Rose Of Choice ($7) and last start Recognition Stakes winner over the Doomben mile Rudy ($7) for the Gold Coast’s Helen Page.
That’s the Villiers Stakes betting picture but how about the historical data and form on this year’s field?
2014 Villiers Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Villiers Stakes winner was the Team Hawkes-trained Ninth Legion who came off an unplaced run (11th) in the Festival Stakes, jumped form barrier 11 (of 14) with Peter Robl aboard on 54.5kg
- Barrier 11 this year belongs to Rose Of Choice for Peter & Paul Snowden who ran fourth in the Group 3 Summond Stakes (1500m) with 57kg last start and drops to 53kg on Saturday
- There are two last start winners in the mix with I’m Imposing (Listed Festival Stakes, 1500m, Rosehill, 29/11/2014) and Rudy (Listed Recognition Stakes, 1630m, Doomben, 29/11/14)
- Other horses aside from the Chris Waller-trained winner I’m Imposing coming out of the Festival Stakes this year are: Estonian Princess (2nd), Strawberry Boy (3rd), Sir Moments (5th), Multilateral (6th), Scream Machine (7th), Aomen (8th), Monton (11th) which is the positon Ninth Legion ran before a Villiers Stakes win last summer and Heart Testa (13th) who was last over the line
- Monton has had three previous runs in the Villiers Stakes and is looking to become the first horse in history to win multiple editions after his success back in 2011
- Monton also carries the 59kg top weight followed in the handicaps by Aomen (57.5kg), Strawberry Boy (57kg), I’m Imposing (56.5kg) and Pelicano (56kg)
- Sir Moments is the race favourite and boasts the highest Win Rate of the field at 46% followed by Pelicano (42%), Rose Of Choice (39%), Strawberry Boy (39%) and Rudy (35%)
- The highest Place Rate belongs to Rose Of Choice (78%) followed by Strawberry Boy (72%) and Sir Moments (62%)
- Over the distance (1600m) horses with the best winning form are: Monton (15-4-1-1), Aomen (12-4-2-1), Strawberry Boy (2-2-0-0), I’m Imposing (5-2-0-0), Sir Moments (2-1-0-0), Midsummer Sun (1-1-0-0) and Rudy (4-3-0-1)
- At the track (Randwick) those to beat include: Estonian Princess (5-2-1-0), I’m Imposing (4-1-0-0), Aomen (1-1-0-0) and Multilateral (2-1-0-0)
- Previous winners over the Track & Distance are then: Monton (8-2-0-1) and I’m Imposing (1-1-0-0)
- Rain in Sydney will lead to a Slow track at best on Saturday and the best wet trackers in the race are: Strawberry Boy, Pelicano, Estonian Princess, Rudy, Kaypers and Sir Moments who is undefeated on Slow (2-2-0-0) and Heavy (1-1-0-0) going
See below for the full Villiers Stakes 2014 field and form guide courtesy of Ladbrokes.com.au who are offering the hottest odds and bonuses on all the summer races over the coming months!