This Saturday Group 1 racing comes to a close for another calendar year in Perth with the 2014 Kingston Town Classic lighting up Ascot Racecourse, the Races.com.au’s insider form guide preview and detailed below.
A full field will face off in this year’s $500,000 Group 1 TABTouch Kingston Town Classic (1800m), the favourite of which is the Chris Waller-trained Moriarty ($4).
The seven-year-old from Sydney debuted in WA when a close third behind two local mares, who he faces again on the weekend, coming from off the pace for a place in the Group 1 Railway Stakes (1600m).
Now the bookies are taking no chances with him on Saturday, Moriraty well backed to improve and win the Kingston Town and had Waller with his incredible 10th Group 1 win for the season already.
Following Moriarty in Kingston Town Classic betting are then the likes of Grant Williams’ WA Guineas runner-up Disposition ($6.50), his Railway Stakes winning stable mate Elite Belle ($7) and Railway runner-up Balmont Girl ($7.50) out wide for this weekend’s rematch.
That’s the story the bookies are telling but what about the Kingston Town Classic form guide and betting history?
Having gone over the field and statistics below are our must know Kingston Town Classic facts so you can back a winner online at Ladbrokes.com.au to see out the year with a win!
2014 Kingston Town Classic Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Kingston Town Classic winner was the Fred Kersley-trained Ihtsahymn who came off a win in the WA Guineas, jumped from barrier two (of 11) with Steven Parnham in the saddle
- #8 Ihtsahymn ($21) is back to defend his title looking to become the first dual winner of the race since Playing God (2010, 2011)
- His lead-up form however isn’t as impressive with Ihtsahymn coming off a 10th in the Railway Stakes
- The Railway Stakes has produced six of the past eight Kingston Town Classic winners
- Ihtsahymn will be ridden by Paul Harvey who is the race’s most successful jockey with four winners: Old Comrade (2000, 2001), Modem (2004) and Megatic (2007)
- Last year’s winning hoop Steven Parnham meanwhile has the ride this year on #15 Rommel ($9), in the outside barrier, who is this year’s WA Guineas winner after the same double Ihtsahymn achieved 12 months ago is
- Steven Parnham is the second most successful jockey in the race with three previous wins: Playing God (2010, 2011) and Ihtsahymn (2013)
- The other three-year-old on the 52kg lightweight this year looking to go back-to-back for their age group is then #16 Disposition ($6.50) for this year’s Railway Stakes winning jockey William Pike
- Three-year-olds have won four times previously with: Old Comrade (2000), Megatic (2007), Playing God (2010) and Ihtsahymn (2013)
- WA Guineas winner #15 Rommel and Railway Stakes winner #11 Elite Belle ($7) are the only two last start winners in the mix this year
- #11 Elite Belle is looking to become just the fourth Kingston Town Classic winning mare in history as are #12 Pop Culture ($31), #13 Balmont Girl ($7.50) and #14 Fuchsia Bandana ($21)
- She’s also out to become the first Railway Stakes – Kingston Town Classic double winner since Sniper’s Bullet (2009)
- Others to do the double include: Better Loosen Up (1989), Island Morn (1994), Old Comrade (2001) and Modem (2004)
- The horse with the highest Win Rate is #16 Disposition (80%) followed by #14 Fuchsia Bandana (47%), #8 Ihtsahymn (395) and #11 Elite Belle (39%)
- Yet to finish out of the money, #16 Disposition (100%) also boasts the highest Place Rate followed by #14 Fuchsia Bandana (80%), #20e Real Love (80%), #11 Elite Belle (74%) and #9 Respondent (73%)
- Those with previous winning form over the distance (1800m) are: #12 Pop Culture (6-4-0-0), #2 Moriarty (6-1-0-2), #6 Rebelson (5-1-3-0), #8 Ihtsahymn (2-1-1-0), #9 Respondent (1-1-0-0), #11 Elite Belle (3-1-1-0), #17e Strike The Stars (3-1-0-0) and #18e Express Service (2-1-0-0)
- At the track horses with the best winning form are: #1 Mr Moet (15-6-3-1), #5 Chester Road (9-2-2-0), #6 Rebelson (16-3-4-0), #8 Ihtsahymn (15-5-3-0), #9 Respondent (12-3-2-4), #11 Elite Belle (14-5-3-1), #12 Pop Culture (20-8-2-0), #13 Balmont Girl (19-5-5-3), #14 Fuchsia Bandana (7-4-1-1), #15 Rommel (8-3-2-0) and #16 Disposition (3-2-1-0)
- Stay tuned for our insider Kingston Town Classic 2014 betting tips up shortly.
- In the meantime sign-up with Ladbrokes.com.au and get ready for a great weekend on the punt with the bookie offering you up to $500 in a limited-time-only bonus bet offer for the summer!