The James Cummings trained Impending added value...
Perth’s richest race takes place at Ascot Racecourse on Saturday with the Railway Stakes 2014 taking centre stage, the Races.com.au’s insider form guide and betting preview for the classic detailed below.
There is a capacity field of gallopers engaged in this year’s $1 million Group 1 Carlton Draught Railway Stakes (1600m), the favourite of which is the ‘Lion of Longford’ The Cleaner.
Mick Burles’ Tasmanian-trained, front-running gelding has eased right out from $4 to $4.80 in the Railway Stakes odds at Ladbrokes.com.au but remains favourite to break his Group 1 maiden after a credible third in the Emirates Stakes over a mile at Flemington earlier in the month.
He carries the 58kg top weight with Steven Arnold booked for the ride and is followed in Railway Stakes betting by the rails-drawn local four-year-old Respondent ($6) and the fellow Grant Williams-trained Elite Belle ($7.50).
To help you sort the genuine contenders from the Railway Stakes pretenders in this highly anticipated mile showdown we’ve gone over the field, form guide, betting history and stats to come up with the below must know facts before you place your bets at Ladbrokes.com.au!
2014 Railway Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Last year’s Railway Stakes winner was the Trevor Andrews-trained Luckygray who also won in 2011 when trained by Gary Poletti in a controversial protest over He’s Remarkable
- 12 months ago Luckygray came off a fourth in the Group 2 Lee Steere Stakes (1400m), was ridden by Shaun O’Donnell, carried 58kg to victory and jumped from barrier 12 (of 15)
- Barrier 12 is also the most successful Railway Stakes gate in the past 31 years with five winners
- The next best barrier with four winners is then eight drawn this year by #1 The Cleaner (who could come into six) but belonging to #6 Ihtsahymn (10) with the emergencies out
- This year Andrews is without a runner by jockey O’Donnell shoots for another win aboard #8 Amorino ($26)
- The most successful Railway Stakes jockey since 1983 with three wins from 17 rides is Paul Harvey aboard #5 Mr Moet ($13) this year
- Railway Stakes hopes that ran in this year’s Lee Steere Stakes meanwhile are Fuchsia Bandana (2nd), Platinum Rocker (3rd), Elite Belle (4th), Ihtsahymn (5th), Amorino (6th) and Ranger (8th)
- The Lee Steere Stakes is the most successful lead-up to the Railway in recent years having produced four winners in the past 10 years including Belle Bizaree who completed the double in 2006
- Last year’s winning barrier (12) is drawn by the first emergency #17e Trading Day but with the four emergencies out it will belong to #9 Balmont Girl (15)
- Favourites have a poor Railway Stakes effort with only two saluting in the past 10 years most recently Luckygray (3/1 in 2011)
- The past two editions have been won by 20/1 shots with Mr Moet (2012) and Luckygray (2013) for his second
- In further poor news for the favourites only three have run a place in the past decade with seven finishing out of the money
- #1 The Cleaner ($4.80) is out to break the hoodoo this year
- The highest Win Rate of the field belongs to #13 Fuchsia Bandana (50%) followed by #14 Platinum Rocker (42%), #6 Ihtsahymn (41%) and #1 The Cleaner (40%)
- The best Place Rate also belongs to #13 Fuchsia Bandana (86%) followed by #17e Trading Day (80%), #16 Respondent (79%) and #14 Platinum Rocker (74%)
- Horses with the best record over the distance are: #1 The Cleaner (14-8-2-1), #2 Moriarty (8-3-1-0), #6 Ihtsahymn (3-2-1-0), #7 Elite Belle (3-3-0-0) and #16 Respondent (1-1-0-0)
- At Ascot those with good previous form are: #5 Mr Moet (14-6-3-1), #6 Ihtsahymn (14-5-3-0), #8 Amorino (9-3-1-1), #9 Balmont Girl (18-5-4-3), #13 Fuchsia Bandana (6-4-1-1), #14 Platinum Rocker (7-2-1-2) and #16 Respondent (11-3-2-4)
- Previous winners at the track & distance are then: #5 Mr Moet (2-1-0-0), #6 Ihtsahymn (2-1-1-0), #12 Fancy Feet (2-1-0-0), #15 Ranger (4-1-0-1), #16 Respondent (1-1-0-0) and #19e Miss Rose de Lago (2-1-1-0)
Stay tuned to Races.com.au for our exclusive Railway Stakes betting tips to be published shortly.
If you’ve already got your selections ready to go then head over to Ladbrokes.com.au and bet with the online bookie rewarding punters with a $100 bonus bet on the house this season!
2014 Railway Stakes Field & Form Guide
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.