Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Protectionist is one of the record breaking 11 international horses featured in the final field for the Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m). The German raider is the most lightly raced horse in the ‘race that stops the nation’ with just nine career starts to his name, however there are a lot of things working in the horse’s favour as well.
The Andreas Wohler-trained five-year-old made a name for himself in his home country of Germany after finishing in the top three in all eight of his career starts. He also won back-to-back Group Two races before making the journey out the Australia.
Protectionist made his debut in Australian racing on October 11 in the Group 2 Herbert Power Stakes (2400m) for which he was the co-favourite. The entire sat midfield on the rails down the side but took a while to wind up. He was nearer to the inside in his final furlong and finished well, looking excellent heading towards the Cup. He missed out on the win to Big Memory, finishing just outside the top three, but was less than a length off the winner.
He couldn’t quicken under the big weight (59kg) but stormed home over the last 200m. It’s also worth noting Protectionist will carry just 56.5kg in the 2014 Melbourne Cup, which is his lowest weight November 2012 and 2.5kg less than he ran with in the Herbert Power Stakes.
The entire was due to start from barrier 11, which is the most successful Melbourne Cup barrier bringing home seven winners, the last of which was Americain in 2010, however after the late scratching of Cavalryman on Tuesday morning, he moves into barrier 10. This isn’t the worst result, seeing as it’s the co-second best barrier with six winners including Efficient in 2007.
Protectionist is one of only six single figure hopefuls in the Melbourne Cup betting market at Ladbrokes.com.au, available at $8.
Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #5 Protectionist
- Barrier: 11 (into 10)
- Weight: 5kg
- Jockey: Ryan Moore
- Trainer: Andreas Wohler
- Owners: Narola Stables, Australian Bloodstock, Doyles Breeding & Racing, Power Thoroughbreds, Mr R Power, Australian Bloodstock No 2, Mr J P Hunter
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Entire
- Breeding: by Monsun (GER) from Patineuse (IRE)
- Career: 9:4-3-1
- Win: 44%
- Place: 89%
- Last 6: x22114
- Prize Money: $258,660
- Track: 0:0-0-0
- Distance: 0:0-0-0
- Current 2014 Melbourne Cup Odds: $8
Why Protectionist Can Win The 2014 Melbourne Cup
- Stormed home over the last 200m in the Herbert Power Stakes last time out
- Will be fitter and better suited out to the longer trip
- Will carry 56.5kg, his lightest weight since 2012 – due to enjoy the 2.5kg less than he carried in the Herbert Power
- Is the right age and sex: 5YO entire and geldings have won 40 times in the Melbourne Cup
- Will get a good start from barrier 10, which is the second most winning barrier with six winners (Efficient in 2010)
- One of the only international raiders to have a run in Australia this season – only one of five European winner didn’t have a lead-up race in Australia (Vintage Crop, 1993)
- Best Place Rate of the field (89%) and has only finished outside the top three once
- Won the Group 2 Darley Prix Kergorlay two races ago over 3000m
Why Protectionist Won’t Win The 2014 Melbourne Cup
- Is the most lightly raced horse on the field with just nine career starts to his name
- Trainer Andreas Wohler has never saddled a horse in the Cup
- No experience over the track or distance
- Will no longer start from the most successful barrier (11) which brought home seven winners including Americain in 2010
German raider Protectionist is a contender for the 2014 Melbourne Cup but can he beat home the other talented runner? Back him at Ladbrokes.com.au today to get the best odds available.
If you want to give the online bookmaker a trail today, you can take advantage of this promotional offer: get $75 worth of bonus bets on a deposit of just $25. That’s a total of $100 to bet on the Melbourne Cup – just use code: BONUS75. Only at Ladbrokes.com.au.
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.