Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
Admire Rakti is the name on everyone’s lips to be a serious contender in this year’s Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) ever since he won the 2014 Caulfield Cup on his debut in Australia.
The seven-year-old entire had already made a name for himself in his home country of Japan before making the journey out here last month. He proved he was a top stayer after winning the Group 3 Diamond Stakes (3419m) in 2013 and finishing second in the Group 2 Hanshin Daishoten Stakes (3016m) but with a top weight of 58kg, punters were unsure if he was fast enough to win the his first Group One race with the Caulfield Cup (2400m).
He was beyond midfield early but happy to sit wide with cover. The entire worked into the race and then pulled centre of the track. He flashed late to grab the leader on the line in a great win.
Since winning the Caulfield Cup, Admire Rakti has sat atop the Melbourne Cup betting market at Ladbrokes.com.au though he has lengthened of late. He opened the odds at $4.80 before drifting out to his current price of $6.
Admire Rakti was penalised half a kilogram for his Caulfield Cup win, putting him atop the weights once more at 58.5kg. No Melbourne Cup winner has carried this weight since Think Big back in 1975, however he is still favourite to win the ‘race that stops the nation’.
Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #1 Admire Rakti
- Barrier: 8 (into 7)
- Weight: 5kg
- Jockey: Zac Purton
- Trainer: Tomoyuki Umeda
- Owners: Mr R Kondo
- Age: 7YO
- Gender: Entire
- Breeding: by Heart’s Cry (JPN) from Admire Teresa (JPN)
- Career: 27:7-6-5
- Win: 26%
- Place: 67%
- Last 6: 0x20x1
- Prize Money: $5,170,763
- Track: 0:0-0-0
- Distance: 2:0-0-0
- Current 2014 Melbourne Cup Odds: $6
Why Admire Rakti is Favourite To Win The 2014 Melbourne Cup
- Ultra impressive last time out in the Caulfield Cup and that race’s form always holds up
- Even though he’s at the top weight again he’ll only rise half a kilo from the Caulfield Cup and will love the longer trip
- Is a proven stayer running 10 races over 2400m, two of which were two miles
- Caulfield Cup is key lead-up race with seven horses going on to win the Melbourne Cup – the last of which was Delta Blues
- Three of those six went on to win the double but not since Ethereal in 2001
- Has earned more than $5 million from his racing thus far
- Has the services of leading Hong Kong-based jockey Zac Purton who has already had success in Australia during the 2014 Spring Racing Carnival
Why Admire Rakti Won’t Win The 2014 Melbourne Cup
- Will carry the top weight of 58.5kg which hasn’t been won with since Think Big in 1975
- In Japan he finished better when carrying 56kg – the two times he was at 58kg he missed out on a placing
- Trainer Tomoyuki Umeda has never saddled a horse in the Melbourne Cup
- Hoop Zac Purton has only had one attempt at the race, which was 12th in 2009
- Has never raced on the Flemington track
Admire Rakti remains the favourite to win the 2014 Melbourne Cup the morning of the race. If you think the Japanese stayer can win, make sure you back him at Ladbrokes.com.au now.
If you’ve ever wanted to test out the online bookmaker, now is the perfect time. Get $75 worth of bonus bets when you deposit just $25 – that’s a total of $100 to bet on the Melbourne Cup with! Just follow this link: Ladbrokes.com.au and use code: BONUS75.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.