Finishing outside the places in an impressive 2014 campaign so-far, classy mare My Ambivalent has been confirmed as one of only three mares in the final field for Tuesday’s featured Group 1 Melbourne Cup at Flemington Racecourse.
Contesting a commendable race record of five wins and six minor places from just 16 competitive starts so far, My Ambivalent immediately stamped her claims as one to watch upon debuting to racing in September of 2011; taking out the British Stallion Studs Maiden Stakes (1738m) by a length.
Returning to racing for first in the Galliford Try Fillies’ Handicap (2057m) first-up in 2012, the Authorized mare ran a credible third in the Listed Newsells Park Stud Stakes (2414m) in July before returning to the winner’s circle in the Listed Chalice Stakes (2418m); returning to the paddock after a luckless run for twelfth in the Group 1 Prix Longines (2000m).
Finishing a c lose second in the Group 2 Middleton Stakes (2092m) first-up on 2013, My Ambivalent placed a close third in the Group 3 Pinnacle Stakes (2395m) in June before charging home to secure a maiden victory at the highest level of racing in the Group 1 Pretty Poll Stakes (2011m) at the Curragh; ending her preparation second to Lost In The Moment in the Group 2 Bosphorus Cup (2413m) in Turkey.
Finding particularly good form leading into her Australian tenure, the mare out of Darrery ran third behind Gentildonna and Cirrus Des Aigles in the Group 1 Sheema Classic (2410m) first-up before winning the Middleton Stakes.
Running third in the Group 1 Coronation Cup (2423m) on June seventh, My Ambivalent finished a credible fourth in her Pretty Polly Stakes defence last time out on June 29th.
Pleased with the way she has travelled, trainer Roger Varian has confirmed regular jockey Andrea Atzeni will take the Melbourne Cup ride on My Ambivalent and is confident of a successful tilt from barrier 4.
Will My Ambivalent break-through for a second Group 1 victory in the 2014 Melbourne Cup, or will one of her many classy rivals find the line in the clear?
Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #14 My Ambivalent
- Barrier: 4
- Weight: 54.5kgs
- Jockey: Andrea Atzeni
- Trainer: Roger Varian
- Owners: A Saeed
- Age: 5YO
- Gender: Mare
- Breeding: by Authorized from Darrery
- Career: 16-5-2-4
- Win: 31%
- Place: 38%
- Last 6: 923134
- Prize Money: $369,656
- Track: 0-0-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2014 Melbourne Cup Odds: $41
Why My Ambivalent Can Be The 2014 Melbourne Cup Winner
- Very good first-up form; has finished outside the places just once first-up, including two wins
- Allocated ideal barrier 4
- Regular jockey Andrea Atezeni confirmed for the ride
- Required to carry just 54.5kgs; carried 61.5kgs to win Group 1 Pretty Polly Stakes
- Produced several strong pieces of work since arriving in Australia
- Drawn alongside noted pace horse Cavalryman
Why My Ambivalent Will Not Win the 2014 Melbourne Cup
- Has never competed in Australia; used to softer racing surfaces
- Has never competed over the distance; previous cap – 2937m
- A mare hasn’t won the Melbourne Cup since Makybe Diva in 2005
- Enjoys damp, soft surfaces, Flemington likely to produce firm racing surface Tuesday.
Leading online bookie Ladbrokes.com.au is currently offering the best odds on the 2014 Melbourne Cup!
Open an account and deposit at Ladbrokes.com.au today to take advantage of several impressive offers!