Trainer Chris Waller has dominated the racing scene over the past couple of seasons yet a win in the big Australian four – the Golden Slipper, Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate, and Melbourne Cup – has so far eluded him.
With three runners entered in the Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup (3200m) on Tuesday at Flemington, he has tripled his chance at winning the $6.2 million feature race. However, are any of his horses an actual chance at winning the ‘race that stops the nation’?
Opinion is the roughie of the three, offering odds of $67 in the betting market at Ladbrokes.com.au after drifting out from $51. But is there more than meets the eye with the five-year-old gelding?
The gelding has yet to win at the highest level of racing but came very close two starts back in the Group 1 Metropolitan (2400m). He got a good start after managing to cross over from the outside draw. He kept saving ground along the rails but was held up around the bend. Despite looking like the winner, the gelding just died on the run, finishing second to stablemate Junoob. Connections lodged a protest but it was dismissed.
He was only fair his last time out in the Group 2 Moonee Valley Cup (2500m) after getting trapped three wide in a small field. The gelding was very flat late and did very little over the concluding stages.
Melbourne Cup Horse Form: #20 Opinion
- Barrier: 14
- Weight: 5kg
- Jockey: Tye Angland
- Trainer: Chris Waller
- Owners: Highclere Thoroughbred Racing Australia Ltd
- Age: 6YO
- Gender: Gelding
- Breeding: by Oasis Dream (GB) from Kiltubber (IRE)
- Career: 25:5-4-1
- Win: 20%
- Place: 40%
- Last 6: x05026
- Prize Money: $542,380
- Track: 1:0-0-0
- Distance: 1:0-1-0
- Current 2014 Melbourne Cup Odds: $71
Why Opinion Can Win The 2014 Melbourne Cup For Chris Waller
- Will get a good start from barrier 14, which is tied for second best bringing home six winners, the last of which was the great Makybe Diva in 2005
- Had a big run two starts back in The Metropolitan in which he finished runner-up
- Proven stayer over the 3200m of the Melbourne Cup after finishing second in the Sydney Cup in April
- Trainer Chris Waller is knowledgeable in the race having raced 6 times previously, including a fourth with Kellini in 2012
Why Opinion Won’t Win The 2014 Melbourne Cup
- Was only fair his last time out in the Moonee Valley Cup; he was flat and did very little over the concluding stages
- He’ll have no trouble grinding out the trip but needs to lift to beat some of his rivals
- Hasn’t won a race since March despite eight starts
- Has very little experience on the Flemington track
- Tye Angland is one of only four debut jockeys so may not have a good handle over the race
- Has already been beaten by Melbourne Cup rival and stablemate Junoob
The bookies don’t think Opinion has a chance at winning the 2014 Melbourne Cup for Chris Waller, but if you think the gelding can do it make sure you back him at Ladbrokes.com.au for the best odds available.
If you’ve been thinking about giving Ladbrokes.com.au a try, now’s the perfect time. Get $75 worth of bonus bets on a deposit of just $25; that’s a total of $100 to bet with. All you have to do is use code: BONUS75 when making your first deposit.