Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
It has been eight years since a three-year-old completed the Moonee Valley Vase – Victoria Derby double but on Saturday the Mick Price-trained Moonovermanhattan is a top chance to be the next at Flemington Racecourse.
The Manhattan Rain colt is one of a capacity field of hopefuls facing off in the 160th edition of the $1.5 million Group 1 AAMI Victoria Derby (2500m), which runs as Race 7 at 3:45pm on the opening day of the Melbourne Cup Carnival.
Four of the young guns in the Victoria Derby betting markets at Ladbrokes.com.au are under $10 to win including Price’s in-form grey who pays $9.
He trails only Gai Waterhouse’s Spring Champion Stakes winner Hampton Court ($2.60) and the Chris Waller-trained Zabeel colt Preferment ($6).
Last Saturday Moonovermanhattan improved on a battling seventh in the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas (1600m) appreciating a step up in distance for a two length win in the Group 2 Moonee Valley Vase (2040m).
The last horse to complete the Vase – Derby double was the next year’s Melbourne Cup winner Efficient (2006), so can Moonovermanhattan be the next?
Victoria Derby Horse Form: #2 Moonovermanhattan
- Barrier: 12
- Weight: 55.5kg
- Jockey: Craig Newitt
- Trainer: Mick Price
- Owners: Grandlodge Racing, Ken Bee Sports (Aust) Pty Ltd, Mr C D Mathieson
- Age: 3YO
- Gender: Colt
- Breeding: by Manhattan Rain form Lunaspur
- Career: 6-2-1-0
- Win: 33%
- Place: 50%
- Last 6: x04271
- Prize Money: $265,620
- Track: 1-0-0-0
- Distance: 0-0-0-0
- Current 2014 Victoria Plate Odds: $9
Yes – Moonovermanhattan Will Win the 2014 Victoria Derby
- Craig Newitt retains his association having ridden the horse for his past four starts
- History shows the favourites have won only two of the past 10 editions opening it up for the longer priced hopes
- Is on the improve and comes off a strong Moonee Valley Vase win from seven days ago
- Every Victoria Derby winner since Redding (1992) has run top three in their final lead-up
- 11 of those previous 21 winners came through the Moonee Valley Vase
- The last Derby – Vase double winner was under 10 years ago
- The last Derby winner to come through the Vase meanwhile was Lion Tamer (2010)
- Hasn’t been over the distance but was strong to the line last weekend when stepped up from a mile to 2000m
- Solid 33% Win Rate and 50% Place Rate
- Has had one previous look at the track when a close fourth just missing out on third over 1400m on September 13
No – Moonovermanhattan Won’t Score a Victoria Derby 2014 Win
- Drawn wide in barrier 12 which hasn’t produced a Victoria Derby winner since Amalfi (2001)
- Newitt is yet to ride a Victoria Derby winner and Price is yet to train one
- Has to handle the short seven day turnaround
- Needs to last the distance
- Isn’t bred for the metres with his sire Manhattan Rain never having raced over further than 2040m (2nd in the 2009 Cox Plate)
If you think Moonovermanhattan has what it takes to complete the Vase – Derby double in 2014 then now is the time to get behind him before markets firm at Ladbrokes.com.au – home of the $500 bonus bet this spring!
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.