Murwillumbah trainer Matthew Dunn is looking...
It’s Victoria Derby Day at Flemington this Saturday with four exciting Group One races for punters to get involved in, one of which is the $500,000 Coolmore Stud Stakes (1200m).
16 of the country’s top sprinters will contest the set-weight feature race, in a final bid to win a Group One race in their spring campaigns.
There are plenty of runners for punters to get excited over, including the market favourite Rich Enuff. The Ken Keys’ trained colt opened and maintained favouritism in the Coolmore Stud Stakes betting market at Ladbrokes.com.au with a price of $3.20.
The colt has had a fantastic spring campaign, winning three consecutive races including the Group 2 Danehill Stakes (1200m) but a win at the highest level of racing has so far eluded him after he was beaten at the post by Shooting To Win last time out in the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas (1600m).
That’s who the bookies are saying will win the 2014 Coolmore Stud Stakes but what does the race’s history, form guide, and betting stats say?
2014 Coolmore Stud Stakes Form Facts & Betting Stats
- Trainer Chris Waller and jockey Jim Cassidy won last year’s Coolmore Stud Stakes with Zoustar
- This year Waller is dually represented in the Stud Stakes by #2 Brazen Beau ($6.50) and #9 Delectation ($41)
- Race favourites typically do well in the Coolmore with six of the last 10 winning the race while just three failed to place, which is good news for #1 Rich Enuff ($3.20)
- The Coolmore Stud Stakes has generally been dominated by male winners due to the stud value tied to the race but seven fillies have beaten the colts in the last 30 years with six of those seven having won since 2000 alone
- There are three fillies in this year’s race: #14 Earthquake ($9), #15 Eloping ($21), and #16 Bring Me The Maid ($21)
- Every runner but #6 Ghibellines (13th in Caulfield Guineas Prelude), #9 Delectation (4th in Brian Crowley Stakes), #13 Armada (8th in Gothic Stakes), and #16 Bring Me The Maid (4th in 1000 Guineas) finished in the top three their last time out
- The most successful trainers in the Coolmore Stud Stakes since 1983 is Lee Freedman with 2 wins from 9 starts and Danny O’Brien with 2 wins from 4 starts
- Neither trainer is represented in this year’s race
- The top jockey since 1983 is Damien Oliver with 3 wins from 17 starts and he will saddle Delectation this year
- The 1200 metre Flemington straight track ensures every runner gets an even chance though it has been said the inside or outside sections can receive an advantage when there’s a strong wind
- However barrier 8 and 9 have brought home the most winners since 1983 with five winners apiece
- #3 Scissor Kick (8) and #4 Time For War (9) will get to start from them this year
- Last year’s winning barrier (10) will bring home Rich Enuff this year
- There are 6 last start winners on the field: #2 Brazen Beau (Group 2 Roman Consul, 1200m, Randwick, 04/10/2014), #5 Rubick (Group 2 Schillaci Stakes, 1000m, Caulfield, 11/10/2014), #8 Kuro (Listed Brian Crowley Stakes, 1200m, Randwick, 18/10/2014), #10 Galaxy Pegasus (Group 3 Red Anchor Stakes, 1200m, Moonee Valley, 25/10/2014), #14 Earthquake (Group 3 Thoroughbred Club Stakes, 1200m, Caulfield, 11/10/2014), and #15 Eloping (Listed Blue Sapphire Stakes, 1200m, Caulfield, 15/10/2014)
- Rubick and Galaxy Pegasus have the best Win Rate (75%) followed by Earthquake (63%) and Rich Enuff (60%)
- Inkling and Rich Enuff both have 100% Place Rates after finishing top three in all five of their career starts, followed by Scissor Kick and Husson Eagle (83%)
- #3 Scissor Kick ($12) has the best recent form: x11122
- Many of the horses are making their debut at Flemington with Husson Eagle the most experienced over the track (2:0-2-0)
- Those with the best form over the distance are: Delectation (5:2-1-1), Inkling (4:1-0-3), Earthquake (5:3-1-1), Eloping (5:3-0-0), and Bring Me The Maid (4:2-0-2)
Use this detailed form guide to choose the best winner in this Saturday’s Coolmore Stud Stakes. Don’t forget to check out our betting tips published earlier today.
Open your online betting account with Ladbrokes.com.au to get $500 worth of bonus bets – that’s 5x the standard amount! Hurry, this offer is only available for a limited time.
Racing fields and data are copyright 2011-2018 © Racing Australia Pty Ltd (RA) (and other parties working with it).
Racing materials, including fields, form and results, is subject to copyright which is owned by RA and other parties working with it. Full copyright notice.